Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD impending 5th strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seen many comments from folks pushing AP fast the (then) 80mph top speed by prodding the go pedal
The majority of internal camera false strikes seem to have come from the new Model S/X that now has the camera.

My experience has been the same as @qdeathstar, not had a single strike since getting FSDb at 10.3 or single AP jail in four years of driving my Model 3.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You might have accelerated pass the speed limit while passing. Its very easy with Teslas due to the instant acceleration. I usually disengage when passing close to speed limit of the system if I initiated the passing. Usually its OK if you let the AP do the passing as the system may have already slowed to the slower speed in this case ~65 mph.
The car doesn't disengage when going over the posted speed limit. It disengages if going over 85mph. (I'm guessing this is what you meant?)

I definitely didn't have my foot near the accelerator at the time. I actually had my foot ready to touch the break because I wasn't sure what the truck I was passing was going to do. I didn't have to touch the break, but I got the strike. :-(

So I’ve got 4 strikes against me in the FSD beta (It says that FSD Beta will no longer operate if Autopilot disables one more time).

You tell me - what did I do wrong?

Did you send emails to fsdbeta ? I’d send a couple of mails daily till they reply.

Also log a service request saying the interior camera is faulty.

Also record using a phone/GoPro when you drive to see if you missed any message.

I just reported my experience with NOA early this year. I got the Red wheel and alarms and kicked out of AP. Are you willing to test it on your limited 5 strikes of FSD Beta?
I’ve done this about four or five times; I have zero strikes. It disengaged at about 82-83mph (with the old software with 80mph limit; I have not disengaged it with the new stuff and it is unlikely that I will).

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Don’t know. I haven’t experienced half of what the forums complain about….
I haven't experienced half of what the forums rave about.

I seem to be in the middle

Not too much phantom braking (it seems improved in recent versions)
No issue with strike outs
Torque Sensor only slightly annoying. More annoying in FSD Beta
NoA is a completely worthless pile of sporadic lane changing garbage
FSD Beta loves turning the turn signals in the wrong places
Auto lane change is enjoyable and mostly works
TACC could be a lot smoother in stop and go traffic - Not very smooth on a 2018 P3D.
The SW like dashcam, trip planner, etc are all really buggy
FSD Beta seems to get better with 4 way stops. Not there yet, but not as bad.

If I had a lot of unfair/unwarranted strikeouts I'd turn off FSD Beta, and I'd turn off AP where I only used TACC. At the same time I'd be emailing the FSD beta team daily, and constantly scheduling service appointments.

Ironically I feel like the phantom breaking has gotten worse over the past year…
Some of this might simply come down to use cases.

My use case is:
FSD Beta turned off in settings (PureVision, but with FSD Beta
TACC setting is usually 3 to 5
Predominately Divided Freeways

I'm not including phantom braking that happens as a result of bad maps. Like the hell hole of I5 in Tacoma is excluded.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
You might have accelerated pass the speed limit while passing. Its very easy with Teslas due to the instant acceleration. I usually disengage when passing close to speed limit of the system if I initiated the passing. Usually its OK if you let the AP do the passing as the system may have already slowed to the slower speed in this case ~65 mph.

This particular type of auto-disengagement (exceeding max speed on the highway, currently 80mph for vision-only cars) does not count as an FSDb strike, just FYI.

-edit-
I should prolly read the rest of the thread. already answered.

Where do I find the email address for the FSD beta team. On my 3rd strike. Thanks
fsdbeta at tesla dot com

I doubt it will help (it’s an apparent black hole; we don’t know what is over the event horizon). Just stop getting strikes! You’re allowed five in most vehicles, and they are extremely hard to get unless you have a hardware issue, or you are not paying full attention (drive the car!). If you have a hardware issue, turn off the beta in settings. First rule of getting out of a hole is to stop digging.

Reactions: pilotSteve
fsdbeta at tesla dot com

I doubt it will help (it’s an apparent black hole; we don’t know what is over the event horizon). Just stop getting strikes! You’re allowed five in most vehicles, and they are extremely hard to get unless you have a hardware issue, or you are not paying full attention (drive the car!). If you have a hardware issue, turn off the beta in settings. First rule of getting out of a hole is to stop digging.
That is the correct e-mail address. Make sure you e-mail them from the e-mail account registered to your Tesla account. As for it being a black hole, that's incorrect. It is monitored, they just don't usually reply. There are several examples of people who have opted out of Beta by sending an e-mail to that address, and a few days later their car updates the firmware and they are returned to the normal firmware branch.

That is the correct e-mail address. Make sure you e-mail them from the e-mail account registered to your Tesla account. As for it being a black hole, that's incorrect. It is monitored, they just don't usually reply. There are several examples of people who have opted out of Beta by sending an e-mail to that address, and a few days later their car updates the firmware and they are returned to the normal firmware branch.
I meant a black hole for this particular wavelength. It’s not clear you get your strikes reset unless you interview Elon and claim your wife got them. (There’s literally no way to have driver profiles and avoid that problem, lol.)

They do explicitly say that emailing this address is the way to remove yourself from the beta so that is presumably why that works.

But DEFINITELY report back to this thread if they reset your strike count.

Reactions: Dewg
Or there’s a software issue. Of which there have been several. I have 3 and none have involved lack of attention.
I’m very curious about these. The ones with camera warnings make a lot of sense (hardware/software issue - can’t use FSDb (b) if it warns about the cabin camera). Too bad no one has captured video of one.

Occurring with no warning would be very different than my experience. It occasionally has the two sharp beeps and disengages, and I saw red wheel of death with quick “internal error” message this morning. But no strikes.

Seem to be getting brief steering wheel nag more than before on 10.12, even with my braced torquing, but that is just my perception (does not usually progress to blue flashing).

I don’t even know what the progression to a strike is. I thought they said multiple warnings and I thought they gave a metric of more than one warning per X miles traveled at one point. Not even sure I have got one of these warnings (they aren’t extremely specific about what counts as a warning).

Last edited:
I’m very curious about these. The ones with camera warnings make a lot of sense (hardware/software issue - can’t use FSDb (b) if it warns about the cabin camera). Too bad no one has captured video of one.

Occurring with no warning would be very different than my experience. It occasionally has the two sharp beeps and disengages, and I saw red wheel of death with quick “internal error” message this morning. But no strikes.

Seem to be getting brief steering wheel nag more than before on 10.12, even with my braced torquing, but that is just my perception (does not usually progress to blue flashing).

I don’t even know what the progression to a strike is. I thought they said multiple warnings and I thought they gave a metric of more than one warning per X miles traveled at one point. Not even sure I have got one of these warnings (they aren’t extremely specific about what counts as a warning).
My last 2 strikes came with no warning. I had my had on the wheel and had applied torque to the wheel recently. Without any audible warning I got the klaxons sounding and the red wheel of death. There may have been a glowing blue screen briefly; both of them were during the day so I may have missed it since I was looking forward.

My last 2 strikes came with no warning. I had my had on the wheel and had applied torque to the wheel recently. Without any audible warning I got the klaxons sounding and the red wheel of death. There may have been a glowing blue screen briefly; both of them were during the day so I may have missed it since I was looking forward.
This is why we need more people with GoPros. I’ve got mine rolling all the time now, on loop. Just in case! (Basically never look at the video unless I am curious.)