Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD impending 5th strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably by an AI bot that sends everything to the trash folder, and processes opt-out request automatically.
I was sure I read that it was fed though a simple bot to send the feedback to the correct folks, but that mean sticking to keyword type feedback.
Sending reams of prose would just get ignored.
Of course, I can't find any reference to that now, so I probably just imaged it to justify to myself that something really does happen to the feedback emails I send ;)

Have you seen any warnings about cabin camera?

Over what timeframe did you accrue these strikes?

In any case obviously you have to stop using FSD and AP if you want to remain. They may reset the count at some indeterminate point in the future.

I have found it is extremely difficult to get strikes (I don’t think I have ever even been close) if you are driving the car (steering, looking ahead, etc.), but there definitely seem to be reports of cabin camera issues and maybe other issues. If you see those warnings, or nags are not clearing instantly, you have to not use AP/FSD and have it addressed by Tesla.

It needs to know you are looking ahead, and you are torquing the wheel. Even if you are doing those things, if it still thinks you are not (due to sensors or whatever), you’ll get a strike.

I don’t know whether seat sensor is used but those can go bad. In any case any sensor issue at all has to be addressed; the car must be in perfect working order with no “Tesla weirdness.” All the sensor issues seem to have “tells.”
Maybe random, but do you need the cabin camera on when on fsd?

Yes. Multiple people have observed that covering up the camera will cause an alert.
Yep. And it will tell you to pay attention if you look to the side for too long, etc.

The monitoring is pretty robust, at least in the daytime, given the limitations of the sensor. It’s one of the best parts of FSDb (b), and I hope they expand it to regular FSD (without strikes but with disengagement). 🤓

Last edited:
Yep. And it will tell you to pay attention if you look to the side for too long, etc.

The monitoring is pretty robust, at least in the daytime, given the limitations of the sensor. It’s one of the best parts of FSDb (b), and I hope they expand it to regular FSD (without strikes but with disengagement). 🤓
The problem is it's not all that accurate. On multiple occasions I've gotten warnings to 'pay attention to the road' when I'm looking straight ahead and the issues around torque sensing have been discussed ad nauseam.

I completely understand the need for the systems, they just need to be more accurate.

The problem is it's not all that accurate. On multiple occasions I've gotten warnings to 'pay attention to the road' when I'm looking straight ahead and the issues around torque sensing have been discussed ad nauseam.

I completely understand the need for the systems, they just need to be more accurate.
Yes. During the day? Very odd behavior - I have never seen that (only have seen it when I look away for a few seconds at a stop and then the car starts moving forward). I feel like there’s a huge untapped market for videos of this sort of misbehavior. Do any exist? I really want to see them! They’d get so many clicks! Just an angled shot capturing driver head and hands along with the screen…

The torque sensing sucks, but it’s not an actual issue - it’s easy to satisfy the requirements as long as you’re always actively steering the car. If you buy a Tesla you’re committing to that sub-optimal system, and it can be mastered like anything else (a touch system seems it would be far better, though presumably easily defeated as well - with the torque system, it seems like it would be easier to detect and counter defeats actually).

Red hands for no reason seems to be a thing. Also pushing past 130kmh is a strike in Canada. Most strikes happen on highways, busy conditions. Also sunny conditions with shadows seems to contribute.

My theory is accumulation of indicators like steering wheel, cabin camera over short time and for sure are all false positives in my case. I don't fool around. In busy conditions people tend to turn the head a lot and system assumes they don't pay attention which is opposite of the truth.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Red hands for no reason seems to be a thing. Also pushing past 130kmh is a strike in Canada. Most strikes happen on highways, busy conditions. Also sunny conditions with shadows seems to contribute.

My theory is accumulation of indicators like steering wheel, cabin camera over short time and for sure are all false positives in my case. I don't fool around. In busy conditions people tend to turn the head a lot and system assumes they don't pay attention which is opposite of the truth.
would be helpful to have more information from the FSD logs. Splash warnings are fast and distract attention from the road. Voice alerts would be nice.

my inner cabin camera is reporting issues and now received 3 strikes even on regular auto pilot. now 2 more strikes my fsd is revoked; I have not received any strikes until inner cabin camera issue and now received 3 in past two days. I requested service and its 10 days away; it is unfair to penalize someone for hardware faults.

Reactions: Dcam
my inner cabin camera is reporting issues and now received 3 strikes even on regular auto pilot. now 2 more strikes my fsd is revoked; I have not received any strikes until inner cabin camera issue and now received 3 in past two days. I requested service and its 10 days away; it is unfair to penalize someone for hardware faults.
the problem is Tesla could careless.

I've only had FSDB for a month or so on my legacy MS with no cabin camera. So only 3 strikes. Today on the interstate I accidentally exceeded 85 MPH while on AP/FSD - landed in AP jail until stopping a few miles later, put in Park, and resume. Just assumed I got a "strike", but did not - I'm not sure why.🤷

The person who started this thread tried that, and it didn’t work. They still got a strike while using AP on the highway with the Beta completely disabled in their AP settings.
Interesting. A bit surprising too. I see that discussion now.

In that case, don't use it at all! Problem solved! Camera warnings are not normal and should be addressed.

An update: A couple days ago I disabled FSD Beta in the Autopilot menu.
Yesterday I managed to get a 5th strike anyway while on autopilot on the highway (all five of my strikes were on the highway, BTW).

After I parked, I got the following message:
FSD Beta has been temporarily removed due to continued improper use. The feature may be restored with an upcoming software release.

Well, that sucks. First of all, FSD Beta was not active at the time. Second, all five of my strikes were during autopilot on the highway, when FSD Beta isn't supposed to be active anyway.

Hopefully a future update will re-enable my Beta status.
Just curious, were you using Autopilot alone (does not change lanes or exit) or were you using Navigate on Autopilot?

On the one hand it shouldn’t matter, if you turned off Beta then you should be in vanilla FSD so whether you were using AP or Navi on AP it shouldn’t make a difference.

But it seems odd to get a beta strike even if you were not even navigating and just in AP. AP is basically just a smart lane hold + braking function with a few frills added.

I have had Beta disengage on me several times but they have all been when it hit a complex situation on city streets and apparently lost confidence. None of them prevented me from restarting it on the same trip and none of those disengagements are counted as “strikes.” It would be supremely frustrating to get strikes due to car glitches.

I received 2022.12.3.20 yesterday and went for a test drive today. I haven't read the release notes so I don't know what this latest version addresses, if anything. Still feels like someone has their twitchy foot on the brakes. And sometimes they twitch big time. The attached photo is a screen capture of an event that happened about 1/2 mile from home, where FSD applied very heavy braking when meeting that van. It was hard enough to throw me against the seat belt. Went from 47mph to about 5 mph in 2-3 seconds. At a T intersection 3 miles later, it creeped out into the intersection then proceeded to make a left turn. Half way thru the turn a car appeared, approaching from the left. Then hard braking. I immediately hit the GO pedal to get thru the T. I think it was about to stop in the intersection (which I've seen on previous versions). On the way home I got 2 not-paying-attention warnings. One at a light, where I was staring at the car in front of me. As soon as the car started to move I got the warning. 2nd time was a couple miles later on a rural road watching the road without so much as a quick glance away from straight ahead. I've had plenty of those.

Can't see that this version is any different than the one I had.

Slowdown.jpg