Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD impending 5th strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 2022.12.3.20 yesterday and went for a test drive today. I haven't read the release notes so I don't know what this latest version addresses, if anything. Still feels like someone has their twitchy foot on the brakes. And sometimes they twitch big time. The attached photo is a screen capture of an event that happened about 1/2 mile from home, where FSD applied very heavy braking when meeting that van. It was hard enough to throw me against the seat belt. Went from 47mph to about 5 mph in 2-3 seconds. At a T intersection 3 miles later, it creeped out into the intersection then proceeded to make a left turn. Half way thru the turn a car appeared, approaching from the left. Then hard braking. I immediately hit the GO pedal to get thru the T. I think it was about to stop in the intersection (which I've seen on previous versions). On the way home I got 2 not-paying-attention warnings. One at a light, where I was staring at the car in front of me. As soon as the car started to move I got the warning. 2nd time was a couple miles later on a rural road watching the road without so much as a quick glance away from straight ahead. I've had plenty of those.

Can't see that this version is any different than the one I had.

View attachment 828175
Gotta say that in the picture it looks like the van is signalling to make a left turn. Can understand why the AP was annoyed. 🤦‍♂️

So I’ve got 4 strikes against me in the FSD beta (It says that FSD Beta will no longer operate if Autopilot disables one more time).

Kinda sucks since three of those disengagements happened suddenly for no apparent reason.

My question: once I get thrown out of FSD beta, can I re-apply? Or did I just flush my FSD fee down the drain?
I’m with you. I turned it off so as not to be kicked out in case they reset everyone again.

My last 2 strikes came with no warning. I had my had on the wheel and had applied torque to the wheel recently. Without any audible warning I got the klaxons sounding and the red wheel of death. There may have been a glowing blue screen briefly; both of them were during the day so I may have missed it since I was looking forward.
I am up to 3 strikes on my wife's Model Y. The last 2 were on a LONG roadtrip we took over the last 9 days (1000 miles each direction). Both strikes were as you describe: I was on the highway with hand on the wheel, focused on the road, and suddenly got the hands of death and a strike. The only thing I can figure is that both times I was on long straightaways and therefore there wasn't much torque to be felt by my hand on the wheel because the wheel wasn't turning much and I missed the flashy blue lights because I was focused on the road. It's SUPER annoying. It feels like the longer the drive the more likely you are to get a strike because it "remembers" every time within a drive that it flashed blue or beeped at you and eventually it reaches the straw that broke the camel's back, doesn't even flash or beep, it just kicks you out with no warning. My only other theory was that my son was in the back seat (behind me) on his phone. Did the camera perhaps mistake him on his phone for me on mine?? I doubt it, but that gives you a sense of how flummoxed I was by these strikes.

The first of the 3, by the way, happened when the car wanted to change lanes on autopilot and I didn't want to change lanes and I kept cancelling the lane change - like 8 times. Finally, on the 8th cancellation, it gave me the red hands of death and a strike. It was as if it was saying "if you won't let me change lanes then I won't let you use Autopilot."

Again, SOOO frustrating.

So for everyone that says "I've never gotten a strike" or "They are REALLY hard to get you must be doing something wrong" please recognize that your driving patterns (length of drive, type of roads, time of day, etc.) might just mean you aren't experiencing what some of us are...

Got kicked out last week on a 7K mile big loop around the USA. Been in the beta since they opened it up last year, it does feel like they punish people that drive more. How about letting us have a strike removed every 5K miles of safe driving or something?

I was almost to California, and it told me to put pressure on the wheel. I did, and it told me again to do it, so I wiggled it. Yelled at me again, so I wiggled it to where it was going to disengage AP, well, not a good enough wiggle still, so I got my 5th strike. Got 2 strikes on city streets, looking directly forward, while it yelled at me to pay attention to the road. Really wish they'd let me back in, I forgot how to drive on city streets basically. haha

Haven't turned on FSD since I got that one strike with the latest release of faux self driving beta and its ridiculous red arms of pay attention garbage. I only use TACC now.

For me... Tesla has ruined AP and FSD with their forced cabin camera nonsense. Both cars keep telling me to pay attention and I just find it more annoying than anything so I drive both cars manually.

So it sounds like the cabin camera is causing false strikes. IS there a log that can be provided so how how close the camera fault and strikes are occurring? Seems that would be something to help people get reinstated. Also, are the previously unused cameras faulty? Are they eligible for some warranty repair after going this long without ever being used?

Reactions: FlyF4
So it sounds like the cabin camera is causing false strikes. IS there a log that can be provided so how how close the camera fault and strikes are occurring? Seems that would be something to help people get reinstated. Also, are the previously unused cameras faulty? Are they eligible for some warranty repair after going this long without ever being used?
I haven’t heard of anyone getting documented false strikes if they are not getting camera warnings as well.

Obviously if you get camera warnings, you discontinue use of FSD immediately until it is repaired.

So I am not aware of any properly functioning camera causing false strikes. Only malfunctioning ones.

I doubt Tesla will reinstate anyone, at least not for a while, as they have plenty of testers as is. It’s not a good sign if a tester is continuing to use the system when it is saying it is malfunctioning, so may be best to leave those people out of the FSD Beta pool for the time being. That being said, I do think Tesla should reinstate people who have documented malfunctions.

Are you guys not applying constant pressure to the wheel (between nags)? When Tesla switched to vision im pretty sure they hid (maybe im dumb) some detection system into the software where the "require hand on wheel", is not a visual thing but a physical sensing of hand weight and pressure. I used to drive autopilot with my hands in my lap, and i got kicked out of autopilot for the drive for what seemed an unknown reason.

Are you guys not applying constant pressure to the wheel (between nags)? When Tesla switched to vision im pretty sure they hid (maybe im dumb) some detection system into the software where the "require hand on wheel", is not a visual thing but a physical sensing of hand weight and pressure. I used to drive autopilot with my hands in my lap, and i got kicked out of autopilot for the drive for what seemed an unknown reason.
I’ve tried holding constant pressure and I still get nags. I also find it uncomfortable to do. The last strike I got I was holding on to the steering wheel, staring straight ahead and putting torque on the wheel. I still got a strike with no warning.

Got kicked out last week on a 7K mile big loop around the USA. Been in the beta since they opened it up last year, it does feel like they punish people that drive more. How about letting us have a strike removed every 5K miles of safe driving or something?

I was almost to California, and it told me to put pressure on the wheel. I did, and it told me again to do it, so I wiggled it. Yelled at me again, so I wiggled it to where it was going to disengage AP, well, not a good enough wiggle still, so I got my 5th strike. Got 2 strikes on city streets, looking directly forward, while it yelled at me to pay attention to the road. Really wish they'd let me back in, I forgot how to drive on city streets basically. haha
This was precisely my experience. A string of warnings about wiggling the wheel, one right after another, until BANG, a strike. I also had the cabin camera unavaible warning multiple times yet still got a strike for not paying ateention. I thought it was unavailalbe?!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I received 2022.12.3.20 yesterday and went for a test drive today. I haven't read the release notes so I don't know what this latest version addresses, if anything.
I'm hoping you will not take my statement the wrong way, but take it as a hint. When I was in college, I read the assignment notes before actually working on the assignment. ;)

An update: A couple days ago I disabled FSD Beta in the Autopilot menu.
Yesterday I managed to get a 5th strike anyway while on autopilot on the highway (all five of my strikes were on the highway, BTW).

After I parked, I got the following message:
FSD Beta has been temporarily removed due to continued improper use. The feature may be restored with an upcoming software release.

Well, that sucks. First of all, FSD Beta was not active at the time. Second, all five of my strikes were during autopilot on the highway, when FSD Beta isn't supposed to be active anyway.

Hopefully a future update will re-enable my Beta status.
All five of mine were on the highway as well.

My experience, Sunglasses help negate false camera readings

Add me to the false strikes department ..All of mine were on the highway and only one warned me ..3 strikes for me and now no FSD ..I paid for this and it did not have any rules about strikes that took it away ..This is a rip of the first order .
I have a 2017 X with no camera ..

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Add me to the false strikes department ..All of mine were on the highway and only one warned me ..3 strikes for me and now no FSD ..I paid for this and it did not have any rules about strikes that took it away ..This is a rip of the first order .
I have a 2017 X with no camera ..
I’m at 3/5 strikes with a cabin camera. Not sure what I did to get 2/3. The third was me using my phone on my chest to record FSD driving 😅😅