Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD increasing by $1K 11/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thankful for all of the owners that pay for FSD and fund future improvements to it

For those doing it for this reason, good for you

For those doing it for the reason it is cheaper now, what do you think the ceiling is for the product when fully functioning (taking the commercial use of your car out of the equation)?

I struggle with them ever able to charge more than $10k for it personally which is why I don’t see spending 6 or 7k for something I could wait and buy for 10k in a couple of years if all goes to plan. And if it doesn’t work out like promised I am not out any money.

If FSD stuck with the owner and not the car, I also would feel differently about taking the chance.

I am thankful for all of the owners that pay for FSD and fund future improvements to it

For those doing it for this reason, good for you
If FSD stuck with the owner and not the car, I also would feel differently about taking the chance.

You beat me to it! Agree exactly. In fact that's what prompted me to think of crowd funding for the FSD feature. Not that Tesla would or should actually resort to crowd funding, but it's so speculative in nature that you may never get any benefit (regulatory issues) even if it ever exists, that it is hardly a purchase and more of a gamble / donation / investment - and would most honestly be represented in that way.

What is the difference between the FSD someone bought months ago at $3K vs the FSD someone buys today at, let's say $7k?
Do either of them actually work in the real world(yet)? The price is not the argument, the fact that it is not usable (legal etc..) yet is.
For me, the cost is not the issue, I've been down the Tesla promise story a few too many times.(Anyone remember the "Tech package" that promised rear-view camera with active guidelines? Took them a year to deliver on that simple promise!) Sure, they eventually get it right, but with the promises getting more and more complex, I don't feel comfortable any more rolling the dice "Will this be the one I get screwed on?" It's not like you can return it for a refund if you don't like it, or it doesn't live up to it's promises.

When will FSD do this? Tesla releases new self-driving demo with new Autopilot graphics - Electrek

What is the difference between the FSD someone bought months ago at $3K vs the FSD someone buys today at, let's say $7k?
Do either of them actually work in the real world(yet)? The price is not the argument, the fact that it is not usable (legal etc..) yet is.
For me, the cost is not the issue, I've been down the Tesla promise story a few too many times.(Anyone remember the "Tech package" that promised rear-view camera with active guidelines? Took them a year to deliver on that simple promise!) Sure, they eventually get it right, but with the promises getting more and more complex, I don't feel comfortable any more rolling the dice "Will this be the one I get screwed on?" It's not like you can return it for a refund if you don't like it, or it doesn't live up to it's promises.

When will FSD do this? Tesla releases new self-driving demo with new Autopilot graphics - Electrek

It doesn't do anything that EAP doesn't yet.

Honestly, I would pay $10K today if FSD actually did what Elon says it will do.

I don't think it's possible to answer that question. Has Tesla ever given a clear timescale and what they have given isn't delivered.

And the question is even harder to answer if you consider you can buy FSD for an EAP car that a) already has the same features and b) may not ever be capable or likely to be made capable of going beyond what it already does. And nowhere can you find out what it is that you have actually bought.... other than a vague idea and an invoice.

I find it curious that if you buy a Tesla you are supposed to somehow have wanted to (just, mostly?) because it (may) someday drive itself or be shareable to strangers as a taxi and other interesting things but less? so then because it's just a nice car that you can own and drive yourself..

Plenty of folks bought them because they are EVs, they are American, they don't idle in traffic, use a sustainable power source, they are great *to drive* as is, other reasons not requiring the car to be autonomous ...

Fine if you want the other stuff but not choosing to buy those things doesn't mean you're ranting or not supporting Tesla or whatever negatives are somehow are inferred or implied at electing to drive your own car..

So many here think this (software / functionality) for FSD should should be free.
-If you can’t afford it, not a problem, but don’t expect it for free.
-If you don’t understand or see the value of this or any other software purchase. You really have your head in the sand.
The computer your typing on, has software on it that is written by someone. That took many many hours to write. It has a value based on the investment into it, and how many they can sell.
The software in your model 3 that drives autopilot is no different, and Tesla has invested many millions into it. Asking for it for free or for $2,000 would be nice, but is laughable.
Would you like to work for free. ? :)

Reactions: preilly44
I didn't see anyone asking anything for free in this thread. It doesn't matter what Tesla wants to charge for FSD, they can only charge what the market will bare. So if they keep raising the price or not depends on how many are buying.

I find it curious that if you buy a Tesla you are supposed to somehow have wanted to (just, mostly?) because it (may) someday drive itself or be shareable to strangers as a taxi and other interesting things but less? so then because it's just a nice car that you can own and drive yourself..

Plenty of folks bought them because they are EVs, they are American, they don't idle in traffic, use a sustainable power source, they are great *to drive* as is, other reasons not requiring the car to be autonomous ...

Fine if you want the other stuff but not choosing to buy those things doesn't mean you're ranting or not supporting Tesla or whatever negatives are somehow are inferred or implied at electing to drive your own car..

Agreed. Many here are stating they think it’s not worth paying for, or should be free or like $2,000 though.
If you don’t want it, don’t need it, or can’t afford it. All good. But stating it should be virtually free is absurd.

Not sure you understood my post. :)

We all want it to work. It’s in beta, a work in progress.
That work costs money, and takes time.
It’s not an iPhone. It’s much more complicated and clearly can’t be done without owner testing my friend.
If you don’t see any of this, we can’t help you. :)

If you want to pay $7000 for a beta, you have the complete prerogative to do so.

What I don't understand is how you think that makes you so much smarter than everyone else.

I have a 38.8K car with an AP for 3K that I have not started using fully since there is something not quite right with it.

I did not see the paying additional 6 -7K on this inexpensive car for something that is part vapor ware, part half baked and still be a beta tester. By the time it gets out of beta mode in 10 years to be the true robo-taxis my 10 year old car will be worth a minimal amount. At that point I will see which Tesla is worth buying with FSD so that I can actually use the function I will be paying for.

This isn’t about that. You can twist it how you want to see it.
The rest of the post is about others not seeing that software costs money. :)

Reading this thread, I don’t get the impression that people want something for free. What many (if not most) are saying is that, for them, FSD in its current state isn’t worth what Tesla wants for it, and are skeptical of Tesla’s FSD timeline.

And I like to drive so I could care less about FSD. Lol
One thing is not at odds with the other.

I loved driving before my Model 3 and I absolutely loving driving with my EAP extras above AP (which is basically what FSB is at this point). This automation is about removing a lot of the tedious bits from driving, and making it a lot easier (and safer) to drive a lot more.

FSD has to be close. My car just navigated through a construction zone with lines cutting through all directions. From where Tesla is now from only 1 year ago is night and day. Summon works flawlessly most the time. 1 year ago I would of said FSD would never happen. Today I am starting to be a believer and so glad I purchased it.

I have a 38.8K car with an AP for 3K that I have not started using fully since there is something not quite right with it.

I did not see the paying additional 6 -7K on this inexpensive car for something that is part vapor ware, part half baked and still be a beta tester. By the time it gets out of beta mode in 10 years to be the true robo-taxis my 10 year old car will be worth a minimal amount. At that point I will see which Tesla is worth buying with FSD so that I can actually use the function I will be paying for.
Interesting marketing point, should the FSD option cost the same price ($6k)

for a Base Model 3 (about $40k) or a top of the line Model X (about $120k) ?

FSD's functionalties would be basically the same, but the perception between a 15% versus 5% additional cost

for a high volume versus low volume car, would be certainly different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamban