Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD increasing by $1K 11/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To someone who's only "given it a try" and has been put off by shortcomings, it may not be instantly convincing. You'll be back. To someone on a short-term lease, or someone who's a devoted gearhead manual driver, it may not be worth it at all. An SR+ (with a third party $100 subwoofer) is a phenomenal value at $39k, and a remarkable car. Peace.
p.s. As to why Musk included as much AP in the base models, I think it's to honor his promise of a $35k smart EV. Hats off to him.

Curious about the third party $100 subwoofer? link?

Wonder what will happen to AP pricing for us SR folks.

The best selling car in the lineup is by far the Standard Range Plus. At $38k, you cant expect people to pay 15% more of the car full price for a feature that is "coming soon". On top of that, its been reported multiple times, even by Elon himself, people are "reaching" to purchase the SR or SR+. If they are reaching just to purchase the car, they definitely cannot afford $6k or more for FSD. I just dont understand the reasoning to keep raising the price....

What is the difference between the FSD someone bought months ago at $3K vs the FSD someone buys today at, let's say $7k?

One of them is a bigger fool than the other.

If you want to pay $7000 for a beta, you have the complete prerogative to do so.

What I don't understand is how you think that makes you so much smarter than everyone else.

It's not beta software. It's largely pre-alpha.

Just did my first "long distance" drive Boston to Philly on I95. Mostly a great experience. I have AP, not FSD. My review of AP is mixed, mostly favorable. There are situations where AP gets confused and applies the breaks unexpectedly. It seems to get confused by overpasses. I worry about getting rear-ended in heavy traffic during an unexpected, sudden slow down. I wonder if FSD is any less prone to these unexpected slow downs. I'd rather wait until more of the bugs are worked out before I'd spend an extra $6-7k.

• Love
Reactions: Hank42 and tvad
If city driving actually worked it would be worth 6k but its not and wont be any time soon. I cant justify 7k for a feature that wont be ready in the time frame Ill have the car. I'm not keeping my Model 3 for 10 years. Ill have it for 5 max. Probably more like 3 before I get bored.

Reactions: tvad
The later is paying for the extra EAP features the former had already bought.
True - good point. I have EAP and it's darned 'good enuff'. I don't see the delta between EAP I have and FSD at that price gap. But my main point is this: On a scale of usefullnesss from 1-10, with EAP being a 1, what will FSD W/2.5 hardware be? FSD with 3.0 Hardware? FSD with > 3.0 hardware? When does the FSD roulette wheel stop?

To people who are disappointed in NOA/AS, learn its limits, and when not to use it.
Just engaging AP and expecting it to do everything is silly. I suggest short sessions at first.
Gradually get to know it. It takes time. Tune yourself, and it, like

1) Max speed. Set it to start 5 miles BELOW speed limit. Simple to tweak on the fly with roller.
2) Follow distance. Tune it to your comfort in different conditions. I use 3-4. Sometimes 2, 5.
3) Auto Lane change. I prefer Mad Max with chime, no confirm. But experiment.
4) Acceleration. Try Chill, then try Standard. No shame in rolling down max speed sometimes.
5) Steering. Experiment. I used to prefer Sport, but now use Comfort more.
6) Experiment with how to best place your steering hand for least disruption to "apply torque".
7) View. Try mirrors a tad out for full view. Some like rear camera showing instead of map.
8) Be ready to tap wand up and take over for a bit if you can do better. Then resume AS/AP.
9) This is an assist, let it help, but stay in control, enjoy supervising, no dozing, no texting.
10) Do a daily pre-flight check. Wipe sensors and all cameras w/ microfiber cloth.

Have fun.

On a scale of usefullnesss from 1-10, with EAP being a 1,
A ‘1’? What kind of scale is this? LOL
what will FSD W/2.5 hardware be? FSD with 3.0 Hardware? FSD with > 3.0 hardware? When does the FSD roulette wheel stop?
??? I’m unclear what you’re talking about here? “2.5 hardware FSD” is EAP, and if you bought FSD (rather than just EAP) you’re moving to 3.0 hardware. The 3.5 part seems out of left field? You seem really confused and/or throwing up nonsense FUD statements about how it’s all, well hard to make heads or tales of exactly what other than you’re really confused.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42 and jebinc
I know Tesla needs to make more money, but increasing the price of a feature set that doesn't exist, and likely won't for years, make's no sense. If Tesla truly needs to increase revenue, start charging for OTA software updates which add useful features.

@boiler81 this idea sounds plausible, but it's impractical. It would go against the morale-building free update policy. But mainly because splitting the software releases into multiple branches to break out salable "useful feature" subsets would create more bugs, and deprive some owners of safety-enhancing improvements, which are essential for everyone's well-being. They have been working to get everyone updated to one common maximally safe point, until they begin rolling out HW3-only code (which undoubtedly exists already in alpha). I'm not even sure that will be a separate branch. No way to know from the outside.

So-called "FSD" is an incremental process, not an SKU. If we look at what already exists, objectively, and get off the "it will never happen" train, what we have as of V10 2019.12.2 is 1) pretty good highway self-driving with target navigation, 2) parking lot "street FSD" with partial intersection handling and short range target navigation, and 3) AP level wider range "street FSD", without target nav and without intersection/signage handling.

These missing feature combinations are probably being tested as alpha code as we sit here. I suspect that they are further along than we imagine, and as we've seen in demos, just not perfected. They might suddenly become generally released as beta within the next few months, so they can provide feedback to the NN and get refined. Or, they might only be released for HW3 equipped cars. We'll see.

But it's like Advanced Summon that was "never coming" until it came. For all the complaining, like about cutting through some empty parking spaces, which may be by design, it actually functions better than expected. Kind of interesting that we haven't heard of any catastrophic parking lot accidents.

Although I personally see SciFi level robotaxi-capable FSD, with a lot of edge case handling, as being gradually reached and permitted over the next few years, I think that basic street level self-driving with navigation to target and intersection/signage handling, is not that far off. Time will tell.

Last edited:
It's my feeling that Tesla should sell the FSD option as a service, that way if you ever wanted to purchase a new Tesla you had the option of transferring the "license" to the new car or sell it as part of the car you had or sell it outright.

Like myself who has an '19 LR RWD with FSD but have thought about upgrading to an AWD but the thought of spending another $6k on FSD is a limitation by principle as it seems like there is no value added to the trade in or person to person sale.

Thoughts?

I know Tesla needs to make more money, but increasing the price of a feature set that doesn't exist, and likely won't for years, make's no sense. If Tesla truly needs to increase revenue, start charging for OTA software updates which add useful features.
Or offer ala carte add ons to Sr vehicles that already have hardware installed. I’m sure lots of people would pay to turn on rear heated seats or cabin lighting.

Or offer ala carte add ons to Sr vehicles that already have hardware installed. I’m sure lots of people would pay to turn on rear heated seats or cabin lighting.

Thats free money...the hardware and software are already there but Tesla doesnt want it apparently. I would pay $1k for Auto Lane change but I am not paying $6k. I might pay $1k for Summon. All the hardware and software is in every car...it makes no sense to not get the most money out of every owner. We are seeing it more as Tesla is getting more affordable to more owners. Before when you purchased a model S or X for $80K, owners had no problem shelling out $5k or so for FSD. Now that the SR and SR+ are becoming the best selling vehicle for Tesla, they need to make the features affordable in a way to get to most owners. Alot of owners who are purchasing SR/SR+ vehicles dont have another $6k upfront, but they could pay for specific features at an affordable price for them.

Actually, it does... When Tesla threatened to raise prices $1000 this past August 16th (and didn't), that "threat" caused many people to throw $6000 at Tesla prior to the deadline. A big windfall for Tesla at they didn't have to produce or deliver anything for that cash. As we all know, the price didn't go up in August. This is just Tesla "running the same play" on weary customers. Not the best strategy IMHO.

Reactions: notAnExpert
It's my feeling that Tesla should sell the FSD option as a service, that way if you ever wanted to purchase a new Tesla you had the option of transferring the "license" to the new car or sell it as part of the car you had or sell it outright.

Like myself who has an '19 LR RWD with FSD but have thought about upgrading to an AWD but the thought of spending another $6k on FSD is a limitation by principle as it seems like there is no value added to the trade in or person to person sale.

Thoughts?

They won't do that. It would mean giving up getting more money from people who wouldn't need to pay for fsd in their 2-3rd generation car from now when things will probably start working...