Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fsd install?

Mangmm62

Jan 1, 2021
San Diego
I just dropped off my Model S at the Tesla service center for an Mcu upgrade. While there they told me they were installing something for my fsd. I was confused because the car has fsd and they said this is just an install of a part relating to fsd at no charge because I already have fsd. So I am curious as to what it is they are installing.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...I already have fsd...

Most likely it's an upgrade to HW3 or Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Computer".

Usually, if your car already has HW3 built-in (not upgraded) that means it also comes in with MCU2 built-in and there's no need for an MCU upgrade.

Since you need an MCU upgrade, that means your car did not come with HW3 built-in and it needs to be upgraded to that hardware level.

It's true that a car could have been paid for FSD as far back as 10/2016 but unless your hardware is HW3 and MCU2, you might want to upgrade them to the current hardware level.

Note:

MCU: Media Control Unit. It's behind the 17" central monitor.

HW3 or "Full Self-Driving Computer": It's behind your glove box compartment.

Those are 2 separate pieces of equipment.

Reactions: kfly212

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
All MCU upgrades in Autopilot 2.0+ cars come with the HW3 full self driving computer, whether the car has the FSD software option or not.

Reactions: BlackM3

Mangmm62

Jan 1, 2021
San Diego
Most likely it's an upgrade to HW3 or Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Computer".

Thanks. That cleared up a lot.

Usually, if your car already has HW3 built-in (not upgraded) that means it also comes in with MCU2 built-in and there's no need for an MCU upgrade.

Since you need an MCU upgrade, that means your car did not come with HW3 built-in and it needs to be upgraded to that hardware level.

It's true that a car could have been paid for FSD as far back as 10/2016 but unless your hardware is HW3 and MCU2, you might want to upgrade them to the current hardware level.

Note:

MCU: Media Control Unit. It's behind the 17" central monitor.

HW3 or "Full Self-Driving Computer": It's behind your glove box compartment.

Those are 2 separate pieces of equipment.

Reactions: Tam

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC