Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fsd install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped off my Model S at the Tesla service center for an Mcu upgrade. While there they told me they were installing something for my fsd. I was confused because the car has fsd and they said this is just an install of a part relating to fsd at no charge because I already have fsd. So I am curious as to what it is they are installing.

...I already have fsd...

Most likely it's an upgrade to HW3 or Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Computer".

Usually, if your car already has HW3 built-in (not upgraded) that means it also comes in with MCU2 built-in and there's no need for an MCU upgrade.

Since you need an MCU upgrade, that means your car did not come with HW3 built-in and it needs to be upgraded to that hardware level.

It's true that a car could have been paid for FSD as far back as 10/2016 but unless your hardware is HW3 and MCU2, you might want to upgrade them to the current hardware level.

Note:

MCU: Media Control Unit. It's behind the 17" central monitor.

HW3 or "Full Self-Driving Computer": It's behind your glove box compartment.

Those are 2 separate pieces of equipment.

Reactions: kfly212
Most likely it's an upgrade to HW3 or Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Computer".

Thanks. That cleared up a lot.

Usually, if your car already has HW3 built-in (not upgraded) that means it also comes in with MCU2 built-in and there's no need for an MCU upgrade.

Since you need an MCU upgrade, that means your car did not come with HW3 built-in and it needs to be upgraded to that hardware level.

It's true that a car could have been paid for FSD as far back as 10/2016 but unless your hardware is HW3 and MCU2, you might want to upgrade them to the current hardware level.

Note:

MCU: Media Control Unit. It's behind the 17" central monitor.

HW3 or "Full Self-Driving Computer": It's behind your glove box compartment.

Those are 2 separate pieces of equipment.

Reactions: Tam