Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is now 100% in Tesla's hands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Tesla has said that FSD will be dependent on "regulatory approval". Well my home state of Georgia joins 5 other states that have ALREADY approved FSD vehicles so the ball is now rolling. I genuinely thought Tesla would have been able to hide behind this for a while but that roadblock has been shattered.

The only roadblock in front of Tesla now is Tesla. I did purchase FSD on my 100D knowing good and well that I may have never seen it activated based on "regulatory approval" so I am excited that it may actually happen.

Most of us here view EST as something other than Eastern Standard Time so I hope we see Elon and Tesla pushing even harder now that FSD has been approved by lawmakers for many of its owners.

Tesla the "wheel" driving us to FSD is now 100% in your lane.

Self driving cars in Georgia: Deal signs bill into law

https://gov.georgia.gov/sites/gov.georgia.gov/files/related_files/document/SB219.2017.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and No ICE
..."regulatory approval"...

The article says:

"
Only five other states — California, Florida, Michigan, Nevada and Tennessee — and the District of Columbia have officially passed laws on autonomous driving.

Most still require drivers behind the wheel."

If they still require a human driver (just like Germany does), I wouldn't consider them as autonomous.

I know Florida and Michigan do not require a driver. Michigan law even goes further and approves cars without controls for human (accelerator pedal, brake pedal, steering wheel...)

But, even if they require a driver, Tesla should be able to release public Full-Self Driving Capability feature requiring a driver just like Autopilot now.

Reactions: googleiscoul
AFAIK, California allows autonomous vehicles on public roads for testing and development purposes but not the sale of "post-development" autonomous vehicles. In other words, Tesla can test autonomous vehicles in CA but can't sell them to individual buyers yet. If the GA bill is similar in nature (and I don't know if it is), then nothing has changed and FSD is not yet 100% in Tesla's hands contrary to what the thread title suggests.

Show us were the NHTSA trumps Georgia's law allowing it. Share the link and then I will concede. Otherwise read the articles and law and it says otherwise.
I don't think this is a contest :), requiring anyone to concede. I thought it was a conversation as I was reading through the thread.

I concur that a state law can allow autonomous driving. I suspect, however, that there are bars that have to be met in order for a company to put an autonomous vehicle on the road. 'Subject to regulatory approval' could very likely mean that before the vehicle is approved, testing needs to be reviewed, etc.

Lots of laws go into effect & then are fleshed out, so to speak, as to what is meant by those laws. And I'm pretty sure if NHTSA declares a vehicle is not road-worthy, that trumps any state law. Safety always comes first on these things.

I agree with you Bonnie. Some people keep throwing out "not possible for a state..." or "NHTSA must give approval first..." Both of these statements are not true. I just wanted to make aware that Georgia and a few other states HAVE given the okay for FSD and even written it in to law.

Taking that to the next step which is now in Tesla's court. That's all.

Tesla has said that FSD will be dependent on "regulatory approval". Well my home state of Georgia joins 5 other states that have ALREADY approved FSD vehicles so the ball is now rolling. I genuinely thought Tesla would have been able to hide behind this for a while but that roadblock has been shattered.

The only roadblock in front of Tesla now is Tesla. I did purchase FSD on my 100D knowing good and well that I may have never seen it activated based on "regulatory approval" so I am excited that it may actually happen.

Most of us here view EST as something other than Eastern Standard Time so I hope we see Elon and Tesla pushing even harder now that FSD has been approved by lawmakers for many of its owners.

Tesla the "wheel" driving us to FSD is now 100% in your lane.

Self driving cars in Georgia: Deal signs bill into law

https://gov.georgia.gov/sites/gov.georgia.gov/files/related_files/document/SB219.2017.pdf
I read another article where it says none of the 5 other states mentioned allows consumers to operate the car without a driver. It only allows manufacturers (and certain companies in some bills) to test them.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't have the analysis of the Georgia bill, but it may end up similar.

Civics 101. Yes Federal law supersedes state law, but Federal laws are quite limited in their scope (with good reason). Matters not part of Federal law are entirely dependent on the states to decide.

Unless Federal law has a statute specifically stating a driver must be present to drive (which I highly doubt), the matter is up to each state.

Impressive statute by GA. No more excuses Tesla, let's see your validated FSD code start getting deployed. Driver no longer required AT ALL in beautiful state of GA.

...none of the 5 other states mentioned allows consumers to operate the car without a driver...

The article below:

Michigan now lets self-driving cars on roads without human drivers

Says Michigan allows cars without drivers during testing period or after certification.

However, an autonomous Tractor-Trailer (which is not classified as a passenger car) still requires a human driver.

Last year article below:

How Florida became the most important US state in the race to legalize self-driving cars

"On April 4, Brandes’ efforts culminated in the the passage of HB 7027, in a unanimous 118-0 vote, ushering in the nations’s first legislation to legalize fully autonomous vehicles on public roads without a driver behind the wheel."

Roadways have always been state controlled. Federal interstates are federal but patrolled and enforced by the states. Further NHSTA has a limited purview that includes regulations but those regulations must specifically conflict with State laws for federal preemption to even come to play. Very complicated but @oktane pretty much sums it up well.

Reactions: sdorn
Civics 101. Yes Federal law supersedes state law, but Federal laws are quite limited in their scope (with good reason). Matters not part of Federal law are entirely dependent on the states to decide.

Unless Federal law has a statute specifically stating a driver must be present to drive (which I highly doubt), the matter is up to each state.

Impressive statute by GA. No more excuses Tesla, let's see your validated FSD code start getting deployed. Driver no longer required AT ALL in beautiful state of GA.
Sure, but skimming the bill, it explicitly states it must meet FMVSS. All the federal government has to do is incorporate whatever autonomous requirements they want into FMVSS, and that trumps whatever state law there is. Of course they haven't done that yet.

The article below:

Michigan now lets self-driving cars on roads without human drivers

Says Michigan allows cars without drivers during testing period or after certification.

However, an autonomous Tractor-Trailer (which is not classified as a passenger car) still requires a human driver.

Last year article below:

How Florida became the most important US state in the race to legalize self-driving cars

"On April 4, Brandes’ efforts culminated in the the passage of HB 7027, in a unanimous 118-0 vote, ushering in the nations’s first legislation to legalize fully autonomous vehicles on public roads without a driver behind the wheel."
Yeah, the subtle part is the "consumer" part. I know there are states that allow testing without a driver. I'll dig out the article (it had a handy chart that showed the differences).

Sure, but skimming the bill, it explicitly states it must meet FMVSS. All the federal government has to do is incorporate whatever autonomous requirements they want into FMVSS, and that trumps whatever state law there is. Of course they haven't done that yet.

Not necessarily but likely. The real question is whether the Federal government must use sticks to prod states to adopt their guidelines. Much like drunk diving laws, the Federal government only has a limited stick. 10% of federal funding is usually the bright line limit of coercion the Federal government can use to coerce states to adopt a transportation requirement.

It's not that simple and the NHTSA can and will be involved in whether this goes forward or not.