Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is Now $7,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's genuinely too expensive at this point in my opinion. I would love self driving on my 3, if it was priced at 3k, it would've been an automatic purchase. But to me, 6k is a lovely vacation to Greece, not something you charge for a buggy beta software.

Preach , that's several really exotic vacations. If it was 3k I'd have bought it with my car but it sounds like tesla is trying to recoup them development costs or trying to Apple scheme.

Also it's not $7k it's $7520 w/tax....that's eff all insane.

Reactions: Dionysius
I LOVE my model 3... but i agree. smart summon currently crawls painfully slow in parking lots and sometimes gets confused, drives in center lane or goes over the front yard at peoples houses.... but suuuuuure... FSD on city streets is coming this year ;)

You do understand that the two are likely completely unrelated? I would not judge driving on city streets based on a single piece of currently released software.

So much about the Model 3 defies belief in my mind that pre-judging does nobody any good.

Wait. Are you saying that EAP > FSD is now $7,000 also. That can't be right since EAP includes half of FSD's features.

I bought EAP > FSD back when it was $2,000. I knew it was a steal of a deal.

I currently have EAP and FSD is now $4,000 ($1,000 price increase)

Screen Shot.png

Not pulling the trigger on FSD until it's actually usable for my daily driving needs.

I think the odds are strongly in favor of FSD becoming more expensive in the future versus cheaper. By the time stop sign and stop light recognition are activated (probably next year) the price will very likely be higher than it is today, at least where those features are available.

If you don't think FSD will evolve into something that is worth the money, don't buy it. But if you're waiting for it to go on sale, it could happen but odds are you will be disappointed.

It is very possible that Tesla will offer a full refund of FSD for older MCU1 cars if they find it too difficult to retrofit them to FSD. It will probably be cheaper for them to refund the money than to upgrade the hardware.

Not sure I follow this?

FSD doesn't use the MCU- it uses its own computer- which was designed to be easily swappable (and all FSD owners will get the new one swapped in- some already have)

(plus this is the model 3 forum- and the Model 3 never came with MCU1)

Reactions: M109Rider and EinSV
You do understand that the two are likely completely unrelated? I would not judge driving on city streets based on a single piece of currently released software.

But that doesn't make too much sense. If they are indeed that close to city driving (which I'm sure some here don't comprehend how complex it is for an imaging system to properly navigate through), why didn't they just put a liiiitle bit more into this smart summon to make it actually be useful? Why are you saying they're completely unrelated? "Both" should navigate the car by themselves based on info from the cameras.

Yes, before I get yelled at again, I still love what they're going with their cars and I'm genuinely, actively hunting for an S.

And yes, as soon as I get one, I promise to use one of these air fresheners:

air.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
But that doesn't make too much sense. If they are indeed that close to city driving (which I'm sure some here don't comprehend how complex it is for an imaging system to properly navigate through), why didn't they just put a liiiitle bit more into this smart summon to make it actually be useful?

Well, for one, Smart Summon had to work on AP2 computers (since it was a promised feature of EAP)

FSD will require HW3 computers for many future features.

If "putting more" into SS meant it couldn't run properly on AP2 computers that'd be a non-starter.

Reactions: tracksyde and EinSV
Well, for one, Smart Summon had to work on AP2 computers (since it was a promised feature of EAP)

FSD will require HW3 computers for many future features.

If "putting more" into SS meant it couldn't run properly on AP2 computers that'd be a non-starter.

Which means.....

TEAP with HW3 will be the early beta testers.....

Those HW2.5 TEAP members will be left out until they get a retrofit....

So, no TEAP HW2.5 feature complete for them.... until we hear that 2.5 is starting the upgrade to 3.0

Yes. "Corner cases" like this are quite common. A human driver can use other cues to know the color of an obscured light. A safe following distance of 7 will help give the car time. One benefit is that the forward cameras are almost 12" higher than your eyes which gives them an extra few meters of being able to see the light than a driver.

Not only that, but the side forward facing cameras can probably see the lights that are often located on the pole at the corners of the intersection. If they are smart they will also program it to do what i do, and look at the cross walk signals in addition to the lights. If the crosswalk is "walk" or has a countdown, you have a pretty good idea it is green and not changing any time soon.

NOA, Smart Summon, Auto Park and Auto Lane Change are not vaporware. Those features are out now. The only features in the FSD package that we are waiting on now are traffic light response and automatic city driving.

Issued one of my rare disagrees.

Elon promised us the automotive equivalent of a nymphomaniac.

Instead we have a car that has headaches and makes excuses non stop.

NOA, Smart Summon, Auto Park and Auto Lane Change are not vaporware. Those features are out now. The only features in the FSD package that we are waiting on now are traffic light response and automatic city driving.

I would have every single one of those released features if I didn't pay for FSD. They have yet to release a single FSD-only feature.

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
well... if you believe in true FSD on city streets and robotaxis in the next years... go ahead and drop the $7k on a feature currently not released. I'm sure it will be 10x better than the long announced smart summon which doesn't work that well.

typically - and speaking personally - the "only while supplies last" / "limited quantities" / "secure yours now before the price goes up" / 'lock in at this low price" sales approach turns me off and doesn't convince me at all...

technology / software gets cheaper EVERY year - not more expensive. if down the road Tesla charges - let's say - $15k for FSD (which would translate in extremely high margins given HW / Software needs) ... *nothing* keeps VW / Toyota / GM from hiring additional engineers and releasing their FSD version one year later for 1/2 the price... that's how free markets work....

The only ppl that are defending the $7k price tag are the ones who paid for it. They are trying to justify their purchase. Reality is tho that it's not even close to worth that much. It's sad too because Tesla is probably losing out on a ton of $$ from owners who would pay for certain features separately or by a lower price.

I would have every single one of those released features if I didn't pay for FSD. They have yet to release a single FSD-only feature.

That's simply not true for anybody for whom the price just increased to $7000.

That being the actual topic and title of the thread and all- plus the post to which he was replying when a guy claimed it was 7k for vaporware, which it factually is not.

Those folks only have basic AP (autosteer in a single lane, and TACC). So all the other listed features would be real, non-vaporware, added features for their $7000.

Now, are all those very-real features worth 7k? Totally different debate. But they certainly exist

That's simply not true for anybody for whom the price just increased to $7000.

That being the actual topic and title of the thread and all- plus the post to which he was replying when a guy claimed it was 7k for vaporware, which it factually is not.

Those folks only have basic AP (autosteer in a single lane, and TACC). So all the other listed features would be real, non-vaporware, added features for their $7000.

Now, are all those very-real features worth 7k? Totally different debate. But they certainly exist

This is Tesla's fault for moving the goalposts and changing definitions. For all intents and purposes, FSD is still vaporware.

This is Tesla's fault for moving the goalposts and changing definitions.

...what?

EAP is a discontinued product. They didn't "change its definition"

Basic AP is a new product (well, relatively) and they haven't change its definition either.

FSD will obviously be different for the two buyers, because they're starting from different places, and are charged different prices accordingly.

T
For all intents and purposes, FSD is still vaporware.

For the intents and purposes of this actual topic (the folks for whom it's $7000 to buy FSD) it's absolutely not in any way vaporware.

It adds an existing, real world, well documented, list of specific features.

If you'd like to discuss the $3000 (now $4000) it costs to add FSD to EAP owners, for whom there's currently not added features gained by the purchase, by all means go start a different thread about that.

This is Tesla's fault for moving the goalposts and changing definitions. For all intents and purposes, FSD is still vaporware.

Vaporware: software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

I guess it depends on how you look at FSD. If you are waiting for true full autonomous driving, yes, FSD is vaporware at this point. If you have EAP and you consider FSD to only be the features that you are missing (traffic light and automatic city driving), then yes, FSD is vaporware. If you have EAP but you accept the definition that features like NOA and Smart Summon are now part of FSD, then technically, you have part of FSD now, so it is not vaporware. And if you are a new owner who only got basic AP then FSD is not vaporware because it gives you tangible new features that you did not have before.