Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is unavailable now due to error in defeat device detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I'm not convinced there's that much difference in the rotational torque caused by the arm having pivots compared with a free-hanging weight of similar mass.
Obviously they are using some kind of algorithm to figure out if a device is attached. They would have attached a device, recorded the torque over time and compared with someone holding the wheel. Whatever difference they found, made it to the algo. As with any algo, there will be false positives.

The only non-crude method of detection would be to put proper capacitance sensors in the steering wheel.
I think they can do this as a retrofit. They need to make a wheel cover with sensors. The sensors can connect to the car by BT or some other method. They can offer it as an optional accessory (sold with a small margin), I'd buy it.

It could also be a small attachment to the wheel with the sensor, rather than being a full wheel cover. Would need a way to charge, a small battery, a sensor and a tiny comms device.

Reactions: MTOman
I think they can do this as a retrofit. They need to make a wheel cover with sensors. The sensors can connect to the car by BT or some other method. They can offer it as an optional accessory (sold with a small margin), I'd buy it.

It could also be a small attachment to the wheel with the sensor, rather than being a full wheel cover. Would need a way to charge, a small battery, a sensor and a tiny comms device.
The day this became available, thousands of drivers would simply sit on the wheel cover.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
They can offer it as an optional accessory (sold with a small margin), I'd buy it.
If they cannot use the cabin camera most of the time to determine attentiveness and hands on wheel with extremely high success rate (even though it cannot see hands or the wheel), we’ve got huge problems with driving and USS replacement.

But seems like very high probability of success.

While driving on a highway using FSD beta with my full attention, sometimes lightly holding the steering wheel and sometimes not, I received enough "hands on defeat device detected", warnings in error, then the "grab the steering wheel" alert, to get enough strikes to kick me out of FSD.
I did not nor will ever have a "defeat device".
These warnings came out of nowhere.
If anything, it's mistaking my hand resting lightly on the steering wheel as a cheat device.
How can I challenge this FSD removal?
My account at TESLA has no support options, just FAQ's.
Help, please.
Thanks,
D
Start with placing a service request and explain everything there. Once in a while use scroll wheels when prompted to hold wheel. I generally wiggle the wheel left and right gently without disengaging and never had this issue on any of cars.

I get beta strikes every time I put my car in autosteer. Hands on the wheel, no defeat device. My drive is on a turnpike and very straight so maybe it needs more torque variation than my hands are providing. Very frustrating.

All very curious.

Report vehicle and software.

Also try hands at 9/3 and eyes straight ahead on road, and only a slight wiggle if nagged. Don’t apply constant torque (doesn’t seem to work very well anymore to avoid nags so not much point).

My guess is it rewards driving with 2 hands and registers if there is additional torque in both directions.. maybe a counterweight on either side would fool it but I have no intention of finding out nor do I condone the usage of tricking the fsd..

I decided not to use my fsd because its stops randomly on straights and doesnt manage traffic well enough.. I do however use the regular Autopilot for highway which is very useful. I also recieved a strike in normal autopilot with FSD "off" on a long straight.. I did use the FSD before once, so even if you turn it off, the strike system is still active.

While driving on a highway using FSD beta with my full attention, sometimes lightly holding the steering wheel and sometimes not, I received enough "hands on defeat device detected", warnings in error, then the "grab the steering wheel" alert, to get enough strikes to kick me out of FSD.
I did not nor will ever have a "defeat device".
These warnings came out of nowhere.
If anything, it's mistaking my hand resting lightly on the steering wheel as a cheat device.
How can I challenge this FSD removal?
My account at TESLA has no support options, just FAQ's.
Help, please.
Thanks,
D
Got my 5th strike for this issue today. FSD suspended. I never used a defeat device or anything like that. Bummed.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life