Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is worth the price. Change my mind.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question stems from a somewhat off-topic discussion in the "Model X Refresh Waiting Room" thread that many seem to have strong opinions on one way or another. I wanted to break this off into a separate discussion to stay on topic.

In my opinion, FSD is worth the price you pay for the Model X. (Specifically the X)

I don't believe it is accurate to look at FSD as full autonomy, or assume you will ever obtain it in the lifetime of the car. Look at it from the perspective of paying $10,000 to add a feature set:
  • Lane changes on highway (overtake slower cars)
  • On and Off ramps for highway
  • App summoning features - drive/navigate through a parking lot
  • Use the key fob to drive the car forwards and backwards (useful for tight spaces or when over a deep puddle)
  • Autopark
  • Stop sign and stop light aware stopping
  • Future release - additional options at a later date (likely more within your span of ownership)
  • Raised value - Remember when FSD was $5,000 in May of 2019? In under 3 years I added $5k of value to my 2017 X (market inflation set aside)
For me, considering the already overly-elaborate car we are buying.. adding this set of features for less than 9% of my car's configuration is an easy decision to make.

Don't think of FSD as full autonomy - otherwise you will be disappointed and disgruntled. Maybe it is better renamed "Premium Autonomous Features".

People seem to have some compelling arguments in both directions. I am curious to hear. :)
I subbed for a month to see what it was like. Not impressed at all. To me, it's worthless--I wouldn't pay $1 a month for it.
  • Lane changes on highway (overtake slower cars)---if only it worked more than 50% of the time and wasn't replacing an already easy maneuver
  • On and Off ramps for highway---if only it didn't behave like a 16-year-old exiting; merging is the most fun thing to do in a Tesla
  • App summoning features - drive/navigate through a parking lot---if only that didn't take more time and effort than just walking to the car
  • Use the key fob to drive the car forwards and backwards (useful for tight spaces or when over a deep puddle)---then I'd need a fob I don't want
  • Autopark---never used it
  • Stop sign and stop light aware stopping---if only it could read whether a light was red or green, thereby not needing overrides for greens
  • Future release - additional options at a later date (likely more within your span of ownership)---if only these dates were set in stone
Here's what I want:
  • Autosteer is also disengaged by signaling
  • Lane change feature is aware of faster traffic coming up from behind in the passing lane
  • FSD doesn't start slowing down until on the exit ramp
  • Geographic awareness (the road curves here, so we need to steer, not slam on the brakes)
  • 1000 percent better situational awareness than what it has now
  • A learning system that takes how the driver handles a situation and incorporates that into future decisions at the same place
That would be worth paying for.

[....]

For those who paid FSD $5,000. That's not all that you paid.

To get that price, you had to already pay Enhanced Autopilot first at $3,000 pre-delivery or $4,000 post-delivery.

If you add FSD post-delivery, it's $6,000 in addition to the above Enhanced Autopilot price.

Then, for those who are unlucky that got MCU1, don't forget to include the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade (prior to labor and taxes)

Thus, an old $5,000 FSD is actually not $5,000, it's double that price at least!

If you can afford it, then that's fine but to justify that you only paid a bargain for an old 2017 FSD at $5,000 is false.
I am one of those who bought FSD for a 2018 Model 3 (with no previous EAP) at the sale price of $5,000 after February 28, but before May 1, 2019. Below is an illustrative flowchart,
courtesy TroyTeslike. My car also did not come with HW3, but was upgraded to it for free.

Attachments

• fsd.sale.jpeg
    fsd.sale.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
I am one of those who bought FSD for a 2018 Model 3 (with no previous EAP) at the sale price of $5,000 after February 28, but before May 1, 2019. Below is an illustrative flowchart,
courtesy TroyTeslike. My car also did not come with HW3, but was upgraded to it for free.

Thanks. Your case does prove the point of firesale can save $5,000 from the present price of $10,000.

However, I don't think the majority is as lucky as you are so it is not fair to generalize that the majority had perfect timing and got the firesale just in time.

Thanks. Your case does prove the point of firesale can save $5,000 from the present price of $10,000.

However, I don't think the majority is as lucky as you are so it is not fair to generalize that the majority had perfect timing and got the firesale just in time.
Agreed. Near the same time I bought an M3, my sister's husband did so too. When I mentioned the
$5K sale for enthusiasts, they didn't bite, having spent their budget already on the car. When I said after
the announcement that it would increase to $6K, no dice, then $7K so then especially not for them. Tesla
had lost the sale to people who understand that in the tech world, the price of early adopter stuff (like iPhones)
generally goes *down* alongside the "J curve" of tech pricing, and to anticipate future competition.

But it hasn't, due to Musk's pigheaded notion that folks are buying the feature to turn their car into an
actual robotaxi. No -- this is only a tiny slice of Tesla drivers. Tesla has goofed here, but I find FSD to be
well worth it, not due in small part that it accomplished, at the sale price, a bundled hardware upgrade
that would never happen from a traditional purveyor of cars. I believe that if Tesla makes room for more
Tesla Vision sale promos, the "take rate" will go in the right direction, just as it did for me.

Can anyone help? I bought a 2017 MS with FSD. I have Nav on AP, Summon, Traffic Light and Stop Sign aware. Two weeks after I purchased the vehicle, Tesla contacted me to upgrade the FSD computer. I am, however , on software version 2020.48.37.6. my vehicle is telling me that my software is up to date. I cannot download the new release to get the button. I have a call into Tesla and I am awaiting a reply. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Can anyone help? I bought a 2017 MS with FSD. I have Nav on AP, Summon, Traffic Light and Stop Sign aware. Two weeks after I purchased the vehicle, Tesla contacted me to upgrade the FSD computer. I am, however , on software version 2020.48.37.6. my vehicle is telling me that my software is up to date. I cannot download the new release to get the button. I have a call into Tesla and I am awaiting a reply. Does anyone know what might be going on?

2020!!!!! It's 2021 now so yours is very much behind.

One of the explanations could be: You didn't pay more to upgrade to MCU2?

Some people insist that you don't need to pay for MCU2 to get FSD but for now, you still need MCU2 to get FSD beta.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Yes. YOur computer needs upgrading.

Reactions: dbldwn02

Welcome to TMC Scott!

Yea, sorry to say, since you're on MCU1 you won't get FSD and there is no timeline to get it to people like us. According to TeslaFi, less than 1% of the entire fleet is running MCU1 with AP3. We're small fries in Tesla's eyes. Easy to forget about.

Welcome to TMC Scott!

Yea, sorry to say, since you're on MCU1 you won't get FSD and there is no timeline to get it to people like us. According to TeslaFi, less than 1% of the entire fleet is running MCU1 with AP3. We're small fries in Tesla's eyes. Easy to forget about.

I do feel guilty to pay for MCU2 in order to get the latest firmware.

Thus, there should be only 1 FSD payment and not multiple payments (FSD+MCU2) to get the current FSD beta firmware.

I do admire those who refuse to pay for MCU2 to hold Tesla's promise "pay FSD now (before MCU2 comes out) and you'll get your FSD later."

I do feel guilty to pay for MCU2 in order to get the latest firmware.

Thus, there should be only 1 FSD payment and not multiple payments (FSD+MCU2) to get the current FSD beta firmware.

I do admire those who refuse to pay for MCU2 to hold Tesla's promise "pay FSD now (before MCU2 comes out) and you'll get your FSD later."

While I think FSD is a joke and a waste of money, I was more than happy to upgrade to MCU2 since it actually provided something tangible and of value. It