Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

FSD is worth the price. Change my mind.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
So that when I'm intentionally changing lanes, I don't have to jerk the wheel to the side to disengage autosteer. As it stands, it's an unnecessarily jerkyt maneuver.

Ah, makes sense. My AP1 will lane change when I signal, so not really something I've thought about. Though, when I want to disengage I just hit the AP stalk. Hasn't really ever bothered me.

eipi10

Mar 17, 2021
Los Angeles
Tesla exploits its sheep-like customers. I can't think of any other company that would be able to sell a service that does not exist based on a representation that it is "coming soon" or whatever. Not even Apple. Reasonably thinking people would just say: I'll buy it when it's out and I can check the reviews. There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?

Tesla exploits its sheep-like customers. I can't think of any other company that would be able to sell a service that does not exist based on a representation that it is "coming soon" or whatever. Not even Apple. Reasonably thinking people would just say: I'll buy it when it's out and I can check the reviews. There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?
Er, for the money? All they have to do is deliver something that the tax authorities like to recognize that as revenue.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
There is no good-faith reason for Tesla to be selling FSD when it's not ready. I can't think of a single argument for why it makes sense. Anybody want to provide an explanation for why Tesla shouldn't wait until FSD is ready before selling it?
So says someone who joined TMC this year.

Without selling FSD in the past, Tesla may have gone bankrupt. Remember just 2 years back Tesla almost went bankrupt - and Musk wanted to sell Tesla to Apple. But Tim Cook wouldn't take the call.

Without selling FSD in the past, Tesla may have gone bankrupt. Remember just 2 years back Tesla almost went bankrupt - and Musk wanted to sell Tesla to Apple. But Tim Cook wouldn't take the call.
I don’t think this is true. If the product isn’t delivered Tesla cannot recognize the revenue for FSD sales and as far as I know they still can’t today though that may change shortly. I really don’t think FSD sales saved Tesla from bankruptcy but you may have more details than I.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don’t think this is true. If the product isn’t delivered Tesla cannot recognize the revenue for FSD sales and as far as I know they still can’t today though that may change shortly. I really don’t think FSD sales saved Tesla from bankruptcy but you may have more details than I.
You really have no idea - do you ?

Problem is cash. Not profits.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yes, Tesla's FSD tech has always been a selling point, however, I thought the founders of Google had an outstanding offer to buy Tesla from Elon and then there was the Saudis (and $420). I wonder who else was sniffing around Tesla.

Elon might have wanted to talk to Tim Apple, but who knows if he would have actually sold. Tim's done incredibly well heading Apple, but it might be one of those Yahoo passing on Google for $1M moments.

In any case, Tesla has hit escape velocity and revenues won't be a problem. I think even TSLAQ has retired their imminent bankwuptcy meme.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
Elon might have wanted to talk to Tim Apple, but who knows if he would have actually sold. Tim's done incredibly well heading Apple, but it might be one of those Yahoo passing on Google for $1M moments.
Yes - my guess is Elon was kind of "ok" having Apple invest - but would have wanted to retain control etc. Either way - he probably thought Apple 's product philosophy matched Tesla's (afterall Tesla has essentially used Job's playbook).

Reactions: mark95476

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yup. There's absolutely no way Elon was giving up control.

An Apple investment, or even a strong rumor, probably would have sent TSLA stock skyrocketing. Just imagine where Tesla would be now if they had Apple's resources and expertise on the ASIC/chip, TSMC allocation and process, SW, and IT infrastructure.

That's assuming they had isolated/silo'd to mitigate any culture clash. Of course, it'd be a very Silicon Valley thing if something like this absolutely cratered Tesla.

Yes - my guess is Elon was kind of "ok" having Apple invest - but would have wanted to retain control etc. Either way - he probably thought Apple 's product philosophy matched Tesla's (afterall Tesla has essentially used Job's playbook).

So I pick up MYLR in 5 days and it has FSD. I'm really wondering whether I am wasting 10k. Trying to do some research on what I get for the $. The wife really wants all the autonomous capability available as she will be primary driver. But if they aren't offering it right now, why pay the 10k? Not even sure I can remove it at this point. Maybe b/c just software I'm told. But have a tough (or easy) decision to make in the coming days. Thank you all for the responses. Great info on this site. Learning a lot. If I didn't have FSD can I add it down the road if it gets better? I've heard about the monthly subscription, but have not seen it anywhere official. Is that a real thing? $200/month for FSD? So, in 4+ years, I'd hit the 10k mark if I paid monthly.

t3sl4drvr

Sep 24, 2017
USA
So I pick up MYLR in 5 days and it has FSD. I'm really wondering whether I am wasting 10k. Trying to do some research on what I get for the $. The wife really wants all the autonomous capability available as she will be primary driver. But if they aren't offering it right now, why pay the 10k? Not even sure I can remove it at this point.

Speaking from first hand experience, you will get little or no return to your 10k. I would advice to do whatever it takes to cancel the purchase.

Subscribe after FSD is generally available (likely will take years).

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Given Yahoo's track record, Google would not have amounted to anything had Yahoo bought them back in the day.
As a former longtime Yahoo employee, I completely agree. They botched Tumblr, didn’t buy Facebook when they had the chance and passed on selling to Microsoft for a reported $42 billion, settling later for a small fraction of that from Verizon.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC