Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Letter - What does it include?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that Tesla has a relative monopoly on real world training data for an autonomous vehicle neural network. They're the only company in the world that has that many camera-equipped vehicles on the road, connecting to wifi every night, and sending them invaluable training data.

This probably is valuable, indeed. But you do have to wonder if there are really barriers to entry in this field. It would not take long at al for a large car company to sell enough fully camera-equipped vehicles and send them out into the world to rival Tesla’s network. Whether they can get their act together to do so, I am not sure. There is certainly plenty of expertise floating around to build the neural nets and the driving software that needs to be trained with it. Would it take time? Sure. But it seems like it could be a short-lived monopoly even if Tesla really beats all expectations here. Depends on competitor execution of course but not sure what other barriers there would be.

Reactions: willow_hiller
This probably is valuable, indeed. But you do have to wonder if there are really barriers to entry in this field. It would not take long at al for a large car company to sell enough fully camera-equipped vehicles and send them out into the world to rival Tesla’s network. Whether they can get their act together to do so, I am not sure. There is certainly plenty of expertise floating around to build the neural nets and the driving software that needs to be trained with it. Would it take time? Sure. But it seems like it could be a short-lived monopoly even if Tesla really beats all expectations here. Depends on competitor execution of course but not sure what other barriers there would be.
It takes 5 years for OEMs to create a new car design produced - which would be need to outfit the cameras and computers.

As the saying goes, nobody has beaten the 2013 Model S yet.

It takes 5 years for OEMs to create a new car design produced - which would be need to outfit the cameras and computers.

As the saying goes, nobody has beaten the 2013 Model S yet.

I agree it does not appear that it is the strongest field of competitors. Though it is likely at least one of them have already started those efforts - they would have to be insane not to - I have no idea though.

I agree it does not appear that it is the strongest field of competitors. Though it is likely at least one of them have already started those efforts - they would have to be insane not to - I have no idea though.
Ladar !

If you believe lidar is needed you are not going to outfit millions of cars on top with liar etc. too ugly, too expensive.

Only when Tesla gets to L5 or is close to it, will some OEM change their mind.

Is $3000 a fair price for this upgrade?

For those that paid $5000 for EAP they now want an additional $3k for FSD! However they offered it for $2K more a while ago but did not bother to send any emails to customers. And, FSD on a new car is $6k only $1K more than EAP was since AP is now included. Sorry Tesla, no thanks. It should be far less for those that got gouged $5K for EAP with its silly extra features that are more irritating than useful. Oh, if no one buys it there should be another $2k sale or in the case that they need to make revenue numbers. I wonder if it comes with a can of touch up paint?

Reactions: am_dmd
Ladar !

If you believe lidar is needed you are not going to outfit millions of cars on top with liar etc. too ugly, too expensive.

Only when Tesla gets to L5 or is close to it, will some OEM change their mind.

I did not say anything about lidar. Velodyne systems apparently have 100% RMA rate after 1 year. o_O

I just meant cameras which I would assume that everyone thinks could work eventually. So there are opportunities for them to do partial measures which may be helpful in the end. Or they won’t.

I agree they’ll likely need to see more from Tesla than L2 before they get really serious.

Anyway. Back to FSD emails.

Depends on your timeline.

FSD - if it comes from Tesla - won't be available in every Hyundai and BYD for a long time. It will be along time before it can be "reverse engineered". Tesla won't license it. They will run their Tesla Network and mint Billions.
I just make the purchase. I love enhanced autopilot now and look forward to increasing it's capability. I plan to keep my car a long time so I hope this will be worth it.

I bought a Model 3 a year ago with AP 2.5. Paid $5000 for Enhanced AP, but didn’t opt for FSD. I’m pretty sure when I was ordering, Tesla said my car already comes with all the hardware necessary for FSD.

Was Tesla wrong? It sounds like for FSD, AP 2.5 requires hardware upgrade?

I bought a Model 3 a year ago with AP 2.5. Paid $5000 for Enhanced AP, but didn’t opt for FSD. I’m pretty sure when I was ordering, Tesla said my car already comes with all the hardware necessary for FSD.

AP 2.5 has all of the cameras and sensors required for FSD. It needs a processor upgrade which should just be a 30 minute mobile tech visit.

The radar, cameras and ultrasonics are fine. The only hardware upgrade required is the computer upgrade which Tesla will do for free if you purchased FSD. So yes, AP2.5 requires a hardware upgrade but only a new computer which is an easy swap. However, you are not eligible for the hardware upgrade until you purchase FSD.

Do we know if Advanced Summon will require FSD purchase or will it be made available to those who purchased EAP?

Elon Musk tweeted back in October 2018 that advanced Summon will be ready in ~6 weeks so I’ve been checking news every month since then to see if it’s available. Looks like it’s still not available.

Do we know if Advanced Summon will require FSD purchase or will it be made available to those who purchased EAP?

Elon Musk tweeted back in October 2018 that advanced Summon will be ready in ~6 weeks so I’ve been checking news every month since then to see if it’s available. Looks like it’s still not available.

Enhanced Summon will be available to Enhanced Autopilot. It will not require FSD as far as we know.

Enhanced Summon was delayed a long time. The latest update is that Enhanced Summon should be released with V10 which is expected to be released late august at the earliest.

67943509_10157535510112138_2303752262083674112_n.jpg