Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD "may" come out as a subscription service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Apparently, Elon was asked about a FSD subscription (in the earnings thingy) and he answered that they are considering it and may be near the end of the year. But he did say that buying it outright is the better option as it will pay for it self.

Interesting!

If they do, what do you think the monthly cost would be?

£10 £50 £100 or more?

Would you pay for a.month just to try it?

Mentioned in video below from13min 55sec mark

Reactions: Roy W.
It’s an interesting question. Elon said that buying it outright as an option should be cheaper, which would imply north of £160 a month based on a three year ownership pattern. But you’d need to use it a lot to justify that spend.

It’ll be £150 or more per month - just divide the total up-front price by about 48 (4 years). Personally, I wouldn’t pay anything at its present state of capability. It would have to get much, much, much better before I’d even consider it.

I'm not sure it will be a high cost (such as divide total cost over a period of time for the monthlies). If you buy it, it becomes part of the car and the car value is higher when you come to sell it. If you subscribe, this can not be transferred so keeps the car value lower when selling.

Still it will be more than £10/m but not £150

(5,000/say 48 months? =£105 ish)

Im Guessing £20 to £50

If it was 105 then after 4 years do you then own it? Hence why I believe it would be lower as you won't own it.

My total guess tho

I'm not sure it will be a high cost (such as divide total cost over a period of time for the monthlies). If you buy it, it becomes part of the car and the car value is higher when you come to sell it. If you subscribe, this can not be transferred so keeps the car value lower when selling.

Still it will be more than £10/m but not £150

(5,000/say 48 months? =£105 ish)

Im Guessing £20 to £50

If it was 105 then after 4 years do you then own it? Hence why I believe it would be lower as you won't own it.

My total guess tho
You may be right. I’m still totally unconvinced that it works well enough for even £10/mo.

Reactions: ACarneiro
You may be right. I’m still totally unconvinced that it works well enough for even £10/mo.

I didn’t even begin to consider FSD when I bought the car. I didn’t think the very limited extra functionality was worth anything like £5500, and I didn’t think it would improve much in the three years I plan to keep the car.

I’d consider subscription, but again limited extra functionality means I wouldn’t pay more than £10 per month. If you wanted to judge whether it was sufficiently useful you could always order it via upgrades, try it out for a couple of days then ask for a refund within 48 hours.
E53372C7-BCEA-48B6-8892-1A239DFF3B39.png