Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD may require a hardware upgrade...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the safety features are active by default if your car has the sensors to support them. Kudos to Tesla to not play games with safety.
It would be nice if they could use all 8 cameras on HW2 cars for additional/enhanced safety features. The way EAP is described, it will only use 4 cameras and FSD would use all 8 cameras. It would be nice if EAP used all 8 cameras for lane changes, etc.

Your premise and conclusion is flawed.
first of all that Volvo system is only for highway L4 not L5 FSD.
Well Volvo says nothing of the sort in their website, that their system is suitable for highway only:
Drive Me – the self-driving car in action | Volvo Cars

And at this point when Tesla say FSD it may not necessarily mean L5 (although it definitely will not be highway only).

secondly the lidar in that video has range of 150m while tesla has range of 160m

thirdly there are only two primary sensor in an autonomous car: its camera and lidar.
The secondary sensors are: radar and ultrasonic.

You say that camera and radar does what lidar does hence you don't need lidar. but that's completely wrong.

If the camera system fails. there is no backup. This is what people are alluding to. And it will fail in adheres conditions(bright sunlight,night, etc) Notice I didn't say "a" camera. But i'm talking about object recognition and classification failing. you literally driving blind. For example in the FSD demo video the car failed to detect that dog.

If a camera fails in the same forward view as the Lidar sensor in the Volvo, it has 2 other cameras covering the same view, plus the radar (for front-side, it has the side camera as duplicate).

If the entire camera system fails (all cameras dead), then the system can't continue at all (lane keeping 100% depends on cameras), but that is equally true of the Volvo (from what I can tell Volvo's lidar unit is for object recognition, not lane keeping). The camera system is absolutely critical to both Tesla's and Volvo's system. In contrast, if the lidar unit fails in the Volvo, the car would be perfectly fine. It just misses a redundant object detection sensor in the forward view.

What I am talking about in terms of different use of Lidar (the puck kind) is not simply redundancy, but a completely different philosophy to self driving.

Google/Waymo's approach is syncing the car to a inch-accurate map of the world. In this case the Lidar unit is absolutely critical (the car can not stay in lane at all without the Lidar unit functioning). The Google car can still drive even without a functioning camera at all, because it is synced to a map of the world (but the obvious limitation is it can only drive in areas it has a map of). Only holdup is traffic lights (it falls back to a yield mode where it detects if it is safe to cross, even though it may mean running a red light), but road signs are not a problem.
The Trick That Makes Google's Self-Driving Cars Work

Last edited:
Wouldn't an early S that has the radar and camera, but not the convenience features, have AEB?

Until Tesla implements Automatic Emergency Braking to a full stop, I would not call what is currently available AEB. If you look at other car brands (Mercedes, Mazda, Volvo, Volkswagen, etc.), all of them have AEB to a full stop.

My AP 2.0 car has a lot of Phantom emergency braking happening for signs, bridges, and overpasses, but it will not break to a full stop. On my last trip through Houston, AEB did not work when a car slammed on the brakes in front of me. I had to hit the brakes and drive off the left side of the road to keep from rear ending the car. I do not trust it.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I had to hit the brakes and drive off the left side of the road to keep from rear ending the car. I do not trust it.

That situation sounds like one where AEB isn't supposed to be triggered. AEB, as Tesla defines it, doesn't trigger until it determines a collision is unavoidable. And BTW currently AP2 cars only have FCW, they don't have AEB at all. (Unless I missed a update/notice.)

Reactions: croman
That situation sounds like one where AEB isn't supposed to be triggered. AEB, as Tesla defines it, doesn't trigger until it determines a collision is unavoidable. And BTW currently AP2 cars only have FCW, they don't have AEB at all. (Unless I missed a update/notice.)

My AP 2.0 car slams on the brakes when TACC is on and when I am approaching an overpass with about a 10 foot elevation change. Cars behind me are slamming on their brakes to keep from running into me. I think this is more than Forward Collision Warning.

If my car slams on the brakes for overpasses, going under bridges crossing the interstate, and signs above and to the right of the interstate, you would think it would slam on the brakes to keep me from running into a car in front of me. There was not any Forward Collision Warning, no sound, and no red car when I had to take evasive action.

Reactions: mikerathbun
My AP 2.0 car slams on the brakes when TACC is on and when I am approaching an overpass with about a 10 foot elevation change. Cars behind me are slamming on their brakes to keep from running into me. I think this is more than Forward Collision Warning.

I think the key in what you observed is that you were using TACC. If you weren't using TACC you wouldn't have had the slow down, because there is no AEB to slow you down. TACC got confused and thought it was coming up on something in it's path so it slowed the car down. Then it realized things were fine and it continued.

If my car slams on the brakes for overpasses, going under bridges crossing the interstate, and signs above and to the right of the interstate, you would think it would slam on the brakes to keep me from running into a car in front of me. There was not any Forward Collision Warning, no sound, and no red car when I had to take evasive action.

Were you using TACC when this happened?

This is the TACC/AP solution to the accident with the side of the truck. Making radar primary and camera secondary. Problem is radar can't tell an overpass from something in the lane if there is any sort if hill. So it overreacts. They say they are building a whitelist of these radar signatures to solve the problem.

I'm curious how unique these signatures would be? Are you going to run into a car if it's stopped under a whitelisted bridge?

This is the TACC/AP solution to the accident with the side of the truck. Making radar primary and camera secondary. Problem is radar can't tell an overpass from something in the lane if there is any sort if hill. So it overreacts. They say they are building a whitelist of these radar signatures to solve the problem.

I'm curious how unique these signatures would be? Are you going to run into a car if it's stopped under a whitelisted bridge?
I don't believe AP1 has the same issue even though they switched to the radar primary, so I don't think that quite explains it.

I think the issue can be eliminated in AP2 with subsequent updates and not something that will remain.

Perhaps, but however you define "early" it doesn't support your assetion that was quoted here:
FSD may require a hardware upgrade...

I would have requoted your original post but I can't because...
The only thing missing from the requote is a screenshot from the website, which is why I felt comfortable deleting the post without distorting the conversation.

I admitted my statement did not support what I was saying here: FSD may require a hardware upgrade...

I know the first ones did not have camera or radar.

Not sure what else you want out of this.

NVIDIA just updated their PX2-page with the new Xavier-unit.
a single Xavier AI processor will be able to replace today’s DRIVE PX configured with dual mobile SoCs and dual discrete GPUs — at a fraction of the power consumption. Available Q4 of 2017
drive-px2-header.jpg