Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD may require a hardware upgrade...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you Google you will find he tweeted in January that FSD will definitely be available within three to six months. But he didn't mention whether or not he meant Tesla Standard Time.
I noticed a couple of people gave my post a disagree. That's rather puzzling since it is an actual, not alternative fact that Musk tweeted on January 23 that FSD would be available in three to six months.

I noticed a couple of people gave my post a disagree. That's rather puzzling since it is an actual, not alternative fact that Musk tweeted on January 23 that FSD would be available in three to six months.

Actually, it is an alternative fact -- i.e., it is not true. You must have missed my post up above:

No, Elon did not say FSD would be available in three to six months.

He said that FSD features would "noticeably depart" from standard EAP in that time period, which is totally different.

For example, FSD could have features enabled to stop at red lights or stop signs, or perhaps FSD enabled cars could be functional on more types of roadways than EAP.

Keep in mind that Elon also said they hope to do an LA to NYC demonstration later this year. Full FSD capabilities are not going to be available to customers until sometime after the demo and probably further work and regulatory approval.

I think this got confused because one of the early articles reported the tweet incorrectly (but later fixed it IIRC).

And here is the actual tweet (one more time):

IMG_0290.PNG

What I'm expecting will be available soon is what they demoed in the video. Are there AP2 owners out there that weren't expecting this when they put up the extra $3K upfront for FSD.

Nowhere in the feature description that you check when you you're configuring your MS does it say won't be available until 2018 or 2020:

View attachment 214802

No Sorka, you must understand what Tesla says is not really what they mean. I mean, cut them some slack, they are on a mission which is more important than your satisfaction. So what if the AP features don't work as advertised. Would you really have bought their car if they hadn't embellished the features a little bit?

In case you can't tell I'm being sarcastic.

He said that one would be able to start telling FSD apart from EA in 3-6 months, not that FSD would be finished.

From his Twitter:
Jan 23Tom Randall‏ @tsrandall
@elonmusk At what point will "Full Self-Driving Capability" features noticeably depart from "Enhanced Autopilot" features?

in reply to @tsrandall
Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
@tsrandall 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely

Again, people really need to work on their reading comprehension skills, as it appears they are lacking. (Or you need to take your rose colored glasses off because they are distorting the words.)

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18

He said that one would be able to start telling FSD apart from EA in 3-6 months, not that FSD would be finished.

From his Twitter:
Jan 23Tom Randall‏ @tsrandall
@elonmusk At what point will "Full Self-Driving Capability" features noticeably depart from "Enhanced Autopilot" features?

in reply to @tsrandall
Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
@tsrandall 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely

What, the customer going to the order page and reading the FSD coolade was supposed to check out Elon's twitter page for the actual facts :rolleyes:

Reactions: ABC2D
What, the customer going to the order page and reading the FSD coolade was supposed to check out Elon's twitter page for the actual facts :rolleyes:

Why don't you go back and read the one part that is highlighted in bold black letters bolder and blacker than the rest of the paragraph above it? You screenshotted it and still you don't see the huge multiline disclaimer in bold text.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/screen-shot-2017-02-14-at-4-53-18-pm-png.214802/

I'm surprised anyone would read that and not think "hey maybe I should figure out how long before it'd be legal to do what they show there?" and then end up on a hyperlinked dive into not only legal delays but also Tesla delays and then maybe actually be an informed consumer.

The NVIDIA computing cluster is certainly deficient, inadequate, and just the wrong architecture for this application. We don't need GPUs on steroids, but rather a whole ton of GP cores. That's why Tesla has already acknowledged that they are doing their own SoC.

That sounds like a well-informed opinion. Care to elaborate further? Wrong architecture? Certainly deficient? Ton of GP cores?
Not being sarcastic; I am truly interested to see what you have to say.

No he didn't.

He said FSD features would start to be noticeably different than standard EAP in 3-6 months.

That is a pretty straightforward concept. I don't know why people seem to be having so much difficulty understanding it.

It is impossible for FSD features to be noticeably different than standard EAP features unless there are in fact FSD features that are active.

It is impossible for FSD features to be noticeably different than standard EAP features unless there are in fact FSD features that are active.

FSD capability "noticeably departing" from EAP may be a wide variety of things initially. For example, as mentioned in my post above, FSD-enabled Teslas might be able to stop at stop signs or at red lights, or may be available for use on different roadways (surface streets) than standard EAP vehicles. And nothing in the tweet suggests that the driver will not need to continue to maintain control of the vehicle.

In other words, the tweet says there should be differences between FSD and EAP vehicles in 3-6 months, not that full self-driving will be available. Also, Elon said on October 19 they are hoping for a cross-country LA to NYC demonstration by the end of 2017. Every new Tesla now comes with hardware for full self-driving capabilities It makes no sense to expect that customers will have full FSD functionality before the demo.

Reactions: Matias
FSD capability "noticeably departing" from EAP may be a wide variety of things initially. For example, as mentioned in my post above, FSD-enabled Teslas might be able to stop at stop signs or at red lights, or may be available for use on different roadways (surface streets) than standard EAP vehicles. And nothing in the tweet suggests that the driver will not need to continue to maintain control of the vehicle.

In other words, the tweet says there should be differences between FSD and EAP vehicles in 3-6 months, not that full self-driving will be available. Also, Elon said on October 19 they are hoping for a cross-country LA to NYC demonstration by the end of 2017. Every new Tesla now comes with hardware for full self-driving capabilities It makes no sense to expect that customers will have full FSD functionality before the demo.

If stop sign and red light detection is an FSD feature, and it is enabled within 3-6 months, then that means FSD features are available. No one is saying that Elon told us all FSD features will be available in 3 - 6 months, just that some of them will be available (enough so that there is a noticeable departure from regular EAP). I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
If stop sign and red light detection is an FSD feature, and it is enabled within 3-6 months, then that means FSD features are available. No one is saying that Elon told us all FSD features will be available in 3 - 6 months, just that some of them will be available (enough so that there is a noticeable departure from regular EAP). I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

Unfortunately, some people are saying exactly that -- that Elon's tweet said FSD would be available in 3-6 months. It did not.

It sounds like we are basically in agreement -- what Elon said was that FSD features would "noticeably depart" from EAP in 3-6 months, which I understand to mean some different capability or capabilities than EAP.