Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD must go to Tesla service center to activate? No other way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was very upset to find out that after patiently waited for 4 days and been promised my purchased FSD was going to be pushed thru my car and activate it on its own, and that was the answer from 3 reps.
Today, I called again given its almost mid Monday. Yet the story completely turned, they now absolutely require and NO mobile service either to come to my nearest official Tesla service center to activate, and its not an very fast tasks for service center so I must arrive hours before they close as I have to take almost half day off to get this done!!!
Very dissappointed, and never heard that a FSD must activate and takes hours to activate at service center.

Adding salt to the injury I bought the car 2 wks ago, and took delivery last week, the autopilot was never activated either despite since the moment I bought the car the autopilot was listed as standard option on my account, and even the delivery team told me during pick up the autopilot should push to me and activate after 50 miles driven. I am now 200 miles driven.

Any other thoughts or suggestions about this?

Thanks in advance!

sorry this is happening to you, as the AP is an awesome way of freeway travelling.

When I took delivery of mine on 4/10/19, the sales person told me they were not "allowed" to toggle the switch for us. we had to physically select it ourselves. (liability issue)
we forgot to do it until we were already home, but with less than 50mi on the odometer, it activated no problem.

on a different thread here on TMC, I read that FSD was going to be unlocked to customers, AFTER, the beta version for early buyers was tested...

good luck and keep us posted

FSD requires a new computer unless your car already has it (manufactured in April 2019 or later).
Swapping the computer is something that Elon has claimed can be completed by a mobile tech but it's possible that your local service center wants to get a few completed in-house before they try to do it as a mobile service.

Autopilot is something you have to turn on using the center screen. Are you sure you've activated it on the vehicle? After it's been turned on it still needs to calibrate the cameras which should take about 50 miles or less, I'm pretty sure that is what the delivery team is referring to.

It's not immediately clear if you understand what the different tiers of Autopilot/Enhanced Autopilot/Full Self Driving can do or how to enable it. Furthermore Full Self Driving will be wide-scale enabled as a beta program after it exits the alpha software testing group. Nobody outside of Tesla currently has Full Self Driving enabled, or they are not allowed to talk about it at least because of their NDA (Non-disclosure agreement).

FSD requires a new computer unless your car already has it (manufactured in April 2019 or later).
Swapping the computer is something that Elon has claimed can be completed by a mobile tech but it's possible that your local service center wants to get a few completed in-house before they try to do it as a mobile service.

Autopilot is something you have to turn on using the center screen. Are you sure you've activated it on the vehicle? After it's been turned on it still needs to calibrate the cameras which should take about 50 miles or less, I'm pretty sure that is what the delivery team is referring to.

It's not immediately clear if you understand what the different tiers of Autopilot/Enhanced Autopilot/Full Self Driving can do or how to enable it. Furthermore Full Self Driving will be wide-scale enabled as a beta program after it exits the alpha software testing group. Nobody outside of Tesla currently has Full Self Driving enabled, or they are not allowed to talk about it at least because of their NDA (Non-disclosure agreement).

Yes I totally understand the difference between FSD, AP and EAP. My car is brand new 5 days old, so AP is standard bundled to my standard range plus. And all the fancier NOA and Summon comes to the FSD. And I dont have AP or FSD activated despite paid at the delivery already.
How do you activate that myself AP? And FSD myself if possible please let me know the instruction appreciated.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333

That's not entirely accurate. The FSD package doesn't currently require the FSD computer upgrade. I have FSD, and a 2018 P3D+ with the HW2.5 computer, and the current FSD package features work perfectly well thank you. (e.g. Navigate on Autopilot)

However, what they may be doing, is that for those people who order the FSD package, after delivery, and no the FSD computer is available, is fitting the updated FSD computer as part of the 'Post Delivery FSD purchase'. So it will be ready when the FSD package does start needing (or can take advantage of) the FSD computer.

In which case, you may be the lucky recipient of one of the first free upgrades!

However, looks like you purchased FSD at the time of order and they forgot to turn it on. No idea why you would need to visit the service center to just activate the software.???

So you think fsd is
That's not entirely accurate. The FSD package doesn't currently require the FSD computer upgrade. I have FSD, and a 2018 P3D+ with the HW2.5 computer, and the current FSD package features work perfectly well thank you. (e.g. Navigate on Autopilot)

However, what they may be doing, is that for those people who order the FSD package, after delivery, and no the FSD computer is available, is fitting the updated FSD computer as part of the 'Post Delivery FSD purchase'. So it will be ready when the FSD package does start needing (or can take advantage of) the FSD computer.

In which case, you may be the lucky recipient of one of the first free upgrades!
So you think fsd package upgrade for new model 3 Std range plus owner is required to visit the service center?
Also I already own autopilot and riven 200 miles how do you activate it on myself?

So you think fsd package upgrade for new model 3 Std range plus owner is required to visit the service center?

upload_2019-4-29_13-4-2.png

To me it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your car that they need to address in the shop. The current FSD features (NOA, summon) can definitely be activated over the air on HW2.5 cars. Mine was active within 5 minutes of purchase (going from AP to FSD); the original AP calibrated and became active within 20 miles or so of driving when I got the car.

Does your car show the calibration icon on roads where autopilot should work (I recall it looking like car blue band around the steering wheel icon that gradually completed as the system calibrated) or is there nothing at all?

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
To me it sounds like there is a hardware problem with your car that they need to address in the shop. The current FSD features (NOA, summon) can definitely be activated over the air on HW2.5 cars. Mine was active within 5 minutes of purchase (going from AP to FSD); the original AP calibrated and became active within 20 miles or so of driving when I got the car.

Does your car show the calibration icon on roads where autopilot should work (I recall it looking like car blue band around the steering wheel icon that gradually completed as the system calibrated) or is there nothing at all?
Nope shows nothing event he autopilot menu just showed the regular cruise control menu no auto steer function either.

So I was very upset to find out that after patiently waited for 4 days and been promised my purchased FSD was going to be pushed thru my car and activate it on its own, and that was the answer from 3 reps.
Today, I called again given its almost mid Monday. Yet the story completely turned, they now absolutely require and NO mobile service either to come to my nearest official Tesla service center to activate, and its not an very fast tasks for service center so I must arrive hours before they close as I have to take almost half day off to get this done!!!
Very dissappointed, and never heard that a FSD must activate and takes hours to activate at service center.

Adding salt to the injury I bought the car 2 wks ago, and took delivery last week, the autopilot was never activated either despite since the moment I bought the car the autopilot was listed as standard option on my account, and even the delivery team told me during pick up the autopilot should push to me and activate after 50 miles driven. I am now 200 miles driven.

Any other thoughts or suggestions about this?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know which service center you are close to, but Burbank is running a night shift and accepts appointments until midnight during the week. Or they were a few weeks ago when I was getting stuff done. Much more convenient than taking off work. Burbank isn’t the greatest service center, but seems par for the course for LA service centers.

OP,

Something does not sound right here. You do not need to visit an SC to activate your AP/FSD functionality. I did not purchase either on my car but when I opted in to the 60 day trial it immediately became available.

First, I would check your account on the Tesla website to confirm that your vehicle shows that you have AP/FSD included in your purchase. If it does, I would try calling Tesla service again and speak to someone else. It is possible that you have a hardware problem preventing it from activating, but I would say that is not as likely as an accounting issue preventing it from being recognized.

I’m assuming you have tried rebooting...but if not, it never hurts to try.

So I called Tesla service center again. This time calls routed to South Carolina and a great rep picked up. She said it's gotta be the software and very unlikely I need to go to service center. The key is she will forward the request directly to Tesla firmware team. And both my ap and fsd package should be activated after 3 days. She sounds very much experienced and confident.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
There's a lot of confusion being posted here. For the purpose of the OPs post, the only thing that matters are the current definitions:

AP - Comes now standard with the car. It appears the functionality is not activated in his car. This is due either to 1) it hasn't been affirmatively toggled on in the Settings (unlikely, considering the multiple interactions with Tesla Service, who would have checked this) or the software in the car is not activated. I had this very issue, and they were able to push the change remotely in about 2 hours.

FSD - This is the Summon and Navigate on Autopilot functionality. It does not require the HW3 computer, and is available for at leave HW2.5 (and maybe 2.0 but I don't know that for sure).

Unless there's an actual problem with the onboard hardware, I don't see why Tesla would need to physically touch the car. One possible scenario is that updates are not pushing successfully to the car. We had that on our Model X, and they had to reformat the SD card at the service center then force the update.

Nope shows nothing event he autopilot menu just showed the regular cruise control menu no auto steer function either.

I thought the “new” AP is just cruise control (TACC) and no AutoSteer functions. All AutoSteer, Summon, NoA are now part of “FSD”.

What comes with the car now is VERY basic.

I know these sort of things have changed daily lately. But me thinks you got what your gonna get. And the service people are not even caught up with what you should get and see.

Edit: Looks like it will “AutoSteer” but nothing else. No NoA, summon, or anything. Not sure what options and approval look like for that.

Did you try just double click on right stem and see if it steers. Might be nothing else to turn on.

What software version are you on? I am on 2019.7.105 on a car I picked up just 9 days ago. It was on some other version # when I picked it up and my AP would not calibrate so I could not use it. They pushed an update to my car and it took a matter of a few minutes driving to calibrate and be good to go. Unless you just don’t see the AP menu at all.

What software version are you on? I am on 2019.7.105 on a car I picked up just 9 days ago. It was on some other version # when I picked it up and my AP would not calibrate so I could not use it. They pushed an update to my car and it took a matter of a few minutes driving to calibrate and be good to go. Unless you just don’t see the AP menu at all.

You have that version because you your Model 3 has the FSD computer (HW3). I suspect OP has an FSD computer without the appropriate software to run FSD features.

It's highly likely that presently AP->FSD upgrades require a service center visit because they aren't pushing out HW3 software updates OTA until further testing is completed. In HW2.5 equipped Model 3's, added EAP/FSD is a simple toggle done and can be done in minutes. This sounds like HW3 owners are not the same.

Reactions: mswlogo