Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD NAV dangerous after recent update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD navigate on autopilot has dangerous breaking.
1. I enable the beta feature to stop at red lights and stop signs. I was on an elevated freeway that had lights and stop signs on the street below. The car decided to stop for red lights in the middle of the freeway where the speed limit is 75mph. The speed dropped to 50 and it said on the display the car will stop in 300ft or something like that. Lucky for me there was no traffic behind me. I immediately disabled this feature. I am shocked that Tesla would not do these basic tests before releasing this to the public.
2. I was on NAV on AP at night, there is a section of IH35 around Austin that has upper and lower deck, I was on the lower deck. there are several over passes for street that crosses IH35. The car phantom breaked under every overpass going from 60m to 40m.. I had to disengage after 2nd time and take over. There was a semi just 2 cars behind me.

If these were regular times when traffic is heavy like normal, I would have surely been in trouble. With 3 kids in the car, this is just plain super scary.

Why didn’t you tap the accelerator when the warning popped up on the screen?

Because it takes a while to see the warning if you are looking straight ahead as you're supposed to be doing. By the time a human can react, the car has started stopping pretty hard, brake lights on. This is not safe behavior on any freeway or expressway.

When I read through the release notes, and instructions I thought they were pretty clear that it has a lot of limitations. When testing it I felt like it gave me more work to do, and I would surely disable it before doing a REAL drive. Especially any drive on the freeway.

That it was simply something to play around with, then turn off when ever someone else was in the vehicle.

To be perfect honest I would not use this feature as-is with another person in the car, and I would certainly not use in in situations where I couldn't keep tabs on the pop ups. Its very easy to clear "in 600ft" or "in 300ft" notifications with a quick momentary press of the accelerator. Obviously on a freeway they will happen much faster.

If I had a family I might even go as far as changing when I get releases so I got them later on.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Because the breaking is sudden and unexpected, it's like slamming on the brakes, you have to experience it to know what our feels like. You have very little time to react.
Not my experience with the most recent update. It provides tons of time to react, especially since I keep my foot on, but not pressing, the accelerator pedal so I can confirm green lights.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Don't be shocked because you are essentially an unpaid tester. Not only that you are unpaid, but you also had to pay to be a tester.
That what "beta" in Tesla means.

It feels a bit more alpha then it feels beta. But thats just me. The ability to see cars parked along the roadway is almost non-existent in my view. Advisory, or 'curve ahead slow your ass down' speed limits seemed totally confounding to the current update. It's disappointing. But this is not an easy thing to do, to replace a humans brain, eyes and ears. And since I'm an optimist, I think eventually they'll get there. If anything it'll be an exciting journey.

It feels a bit more alpha then it feels beta. But thats just me. The ability to see cars parked along the roadway is almost non-existent in my view. Advisory, or 'curve ahead slow your ass down' speed limits seemed totally confounding to the current update. It's disappointing. But this is not an easy thing to do, to replace a humans brain, eyes and ears. And since I'm an optimist, I think eventually they'll get there. If anything it'll be an exciting journey.
The car sees those cars parked on the side of the road - it just doesn't bother displaying them on the screen for you. The car sees much more than it displays to the driver.

as with all new features it takes some time to figure out how to use it.
I've found keeping my foot on the go pedal really smooths out the response.
On fast, twisty roads it doesn't always see the light to try slow down, so I treat it more like regular AP and disengage.

as with all new features it takes some time to figure out how to use it.
I've found keeping my foot on the go pedal really smooths out the response.
On fast, twisty roads it doesn't always see the light to try slow down, so I treat it more like regular AP and disengage.

Do you slightly depress the go pedal all the time, or just be ready to tap it?

In retrospect, a heads up display would be awesome to see autopilot/FSD notifications like this. Too bad it isn’t on the M3 and MY.

I use autopilot a lot. There are many times when I’m looking ahead with my left hand on the steering wheel, and I do not notice the flashing blue on the screen looking for steering wheel input until it beeps at me.

I pic of that piece of freeway would be interesting.

I need to go look in if there is any dash cam capture of this happening, but was around 10pm on sat so I might still have that footage.

Here is a google maps street view of the piece of the freeway, I had several "phantom braking" along this stretch where I had to step on the gas for it keep going and not brake.

Google Maps

And here is the elevated freeway with a number of traffic lights and stop signs below, where the car decided it needs to stop in the middle of the freeway.

Google Maps

Reactions: DanCar
...I need to go look in if there is any dash cam capture of this happening, but was around 10pm on sat so I might still have that footage..

Your shocking reaction for this incidence means you are not aware of your duty as a Tesla driver if you bought Autopilot / FSD as Elon Musk said:

"Essentially, the driver went driving and taking action is effectively labeling -- the labeling reality as they drive and making them better and better. I think this is an advantage that no one else has, and we're quite literally orders of magnitude more than everyone else combined."

Instead of hiring someone to label that those overhead traffic lights are not on the freeway, ignore them, Tesla had you pay up a good sum of money for FSD then you then unknowingly doing that job for free. If the system got enough labeling, acceleration reaction with each of these incidents, it eventually labels those traffic lights as not for freeway and it would ignore them so you don't have to keep pushing the accelerator each time (Yeah! Freedom from labeling for that GPS location at last! Now, move on to the next location and keep labeling!)

Thats great if it sees them. Hopefully on the next update it won't keep heading straight into them on curves when lane lines get a little light;-)
I like how in 2020.12.6 when going through intersection in the right-most lane the car swerves a little to the right in the intersection - like it's aiming at the people waiting on the street corner. It fixes it by the time it gets through the intersection, but I definitely saw one pedestrian who thought I was trying to run them over or at least give them a scare.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
I could see how it would get confused with so many roads running parallel and crisscrossing right next to and under the freeway. Seems like it was relying more on the map data than what's in front of the cameras though. And this is yet another case where the indicated speed and posted speed limit don't match. They need to get this sorted sooner than later.

Reactions: DelPhonic1