Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD needs to be speed bump aware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a community that has speed bumps at each stop sign

Hopefully FSD will become speed bump aware...they are painted and visible so i would think the cameras could detect it if coded to .

Without it those speed bumps and others the car will not do well against them

Yep, another feature that Tesla needs to do as part of FSD. Other autonomous cars can already do this.

I live in a community that has speed bumps at each stop sign

Hopefully FSD will become speed bump aware...they are painted and visible so i would think the cameras could detect it if coded to .

Without it those speed bumps and others the car will not do well against them

I live in a place with speed bumps also. They are painted (although I don’t know how ‘standard’ that is). No stop signs near ours, so I always have to scroll the speed back and forth (back to 20mph in my case for the bumps). I’d like to see it become bump-aware too.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Yes, terrain awareness is a key feature I'm sure Tesla is working on. In Montreal we get horrendous potholes, sometimes sewer access is raised, variations in the flatness of the road which sends us off our seats sometimes, then speed bumps with faded paint due to the snow truck scaping and then in the winter you're pretty much off-roading through snow accumulation and black ice sections. One example I'm sure you've all lived is highway driving when it rains and water accumulates in the depressions in the road, it can be quite sketchy when the car's lane centering OCD drives to to a hydroplane. Not very safe, evidently Tesla is working on this, the ultimate goal is a safer A to B.

I wonder if they can be picked up with pseudo-lidar. Not sure the resolution is there. They are usually marked, so should be visible to standard image recognition.

I’ve seen some pavement geometry detection examples from Mobileye, so it should be doable to some extent. Of course how accurate it can be is unclear, given how pretty much no 2 speed bumps around my area are the same

The latest Out of Spec Reviews videos on YouTube which chronicle Kyle's experiences with FSD beta show it slowing down to go over speed bumps, so it is "aware" of them sometimes it seems.
Speed bumps have been iffy, at best. The car does detect some of them, but not all. Those without clear markings are most likely not to be detected.

Stay vigilant!