Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Not Working at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a new LRY with 4000 miles. Took ownership in March. We've only been in FSD Beta for a few weeks. Recently, while driving at night in FSD, we received alerts that the left then right cameras were obstructed and it kicked us out of FSD. Since then, whenever we drive at night, we cannot initiate FSD. The "steering wheel" will not illuminate on the screen and when we try to initiate by double clicking down on the stalk an error displays, "Cabin Camera is Covered," but there is nothing covering it. Called Tesla and was told that it sounded like a calibration issue and recommended we reboot the computer. Did that, but the problem remains. Tesla won't send out a remote service, so we're staring down an hour/half drive (one way) to the nearest service center. Very frustrating for such a new car. Anyone else experiencing this? Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ArthurVan
Called Tesla and was told that it sounded like a calibration issue and recommended we reboot the computer. Did that, but the problem remains.

Sounds like you rebooted but did you complete the camera calibration afterwards?

Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration

We have a new LRY with 4000 miles. Took ownership in March. We've only been in FSD Beta for a few weeks. Recently, while driving at night in FSD, we received alerts that the left then right cameras were obstructed and it kicked us out of FSD. Since then, whenever we drive at night, we cannot initiate FSD. The "steering wheel" will not illuminate on the screen and when we try to initiate by double clicking down on the stalk an error displays, "Cabin Camera is Covered," but there is nothing covering it. Called Tesla and was told that it sounded like a calibration issue and recommended we reboot the computer. Did that, but the problem remains. Tesla won't send out a remote service, so we're staring down an hour/half drive (one way) to the nearest service center. Very frustrating for such a new car. Anyone else experiencing this? Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks in advance.
I've got the same issue. My 2022 LRY received in April 2022 was FSD Beta admitted June 4. Daytime driving all good for hundreds of miles. Nighttime driving gets the error message you described. I posted about it yesterday (FSD Beta not working in low light conditions). You'll note someone responded to my post saying it was an issue with Model S & X but was resolved. I'm hopeful we'll get resolution, too.

New development...last night, I turned on the overhead reading lights and FSD worked! Clearly, the issue is with the cabin camera's not having enough ambient light to work at night.
Interesting. Someone posted in another thread somewhere that the Infotainment screen brightens slightly, when FSD beta is engaged, to get the cabin camera some better lighting.

this is happening to me as well. (2022 model Y). The FSD worked perfectly fine at night on highway etc before I was accepted into beta. Now that I have beta (received about two weeks ago) FSD is unusable at night time and believes the interior camera to be covered. Camera calibration does not work. I live right next to service center but feel like this is a software issue related to the beta software and that I’d be wasting my time.

this is happening to me as well. (2022 model Y). The FSD worked perfectly fine at night on highway etc before I was accepted into beta. Now that I have beta (received about two weeks ago) FSD is unusable at night time and believes the interior camera to be covered. Camera calibration does not work. I live right next to service center but feel like this is a software issue related to the beta software and that I’d be wasting my time.
You should try boosting the screen brightness manually to see if that helps.

A workaround I found (not perfect, but helps at night) is to make a new driver profile that doesn’t use FSD Beta. That is, a new driver profile that uses only FSD. At night, engage the new driver profile and FSD works with no issues.

This workaround emphasizes that the issue is exclusively with FSD Beta in low light. It may be hardware (cabin camera) or may be software, but it’s not a FSD issue, just Beta.

As an update, the workaround of setting up a non fsdb profile works. Last night I got the red screen of death saying camera was covered/obstructed and fsd was disabled. Stopped at light and switched profile and was able to use fsd (normal version) without issue. This issue appears to be 100% software and not related to any camera issue in my model Y

I have the same issue - took the car in twice . First time they said it was calibration and send me back , second time they changed the cabin camera and said it’s fixed :) but it hasn’t ..

If there are more folks in the Bay Area , may be we can all go in at the same time :) hit me up if there are other Bay Area residents with same issue .

Model Y long range , march 2022 delivery

uhhhh that doesnt seem right, that cabin camera does not need to be "on" for FSD from my understanding
I, too, had no "cabin camera covered" errors when driving with FSD Beta with the reading lights on. This is entirely a FSD Beta issue, not a FSD issue. FSD never experiences this issue in low or dark light. FSD Beta always experiences this issue in low or dark light. When FSD Beta is engaged, the cabin camera seems to have a different standard for viewing the driver (that's my guess).

Same issue since accepted into FSD beta. Autopilot worked fine at night before. I noticed the view of the cabin camera while sentry is activated at night is pitch black. Is this supposed to be an IR camera. I have a May 22 build
I'm hopeful Tesla will make good on this problem. I initiated a Tesla Service Call in June 2022 with this issue. Tesla Service Rep came and said that since FSD Beta is in roll-out, he had no knowledge on how to service it. Thinking things may have changed with a larger roll-out, I initiated another Service Call in December 2022. Instead of coming to my house, Tesla messaged me saying its a known issue; I agreed to cancel the appointment. When asked when they'd resolved it, by message Tesla Service said they didn't know but expected it would be resolved.