TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD - Now £4,700 (post-purchase)

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Mark_T, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

The cost of adding FSD to an already purchased car has gone up to £4,700.

Cost when spec'd with a new car is still 'only' £2,800.

I'm expecting to see some promotions at the old price of £3,800 as they begin to roll out features that require the FSD option in the months ahead.

2. sidmini

sidmini Member

I think they will lower the price to exisiting customers who didn't buy at point of purchase like they did with upgrade from 60 to 70kwh battery and autopilot trials recently announced. That's why the best time to buy a Tesla is now!

3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

That would royally annoy all people who paid up front and didn't have the use of it for ... years.

Pretty sure that previous "Autopilot free trials" have not included any discount ...

4. sidmini

sidmini Member

Yes I agree it will annoy people but they have done this before with the 60 batteries that actually turned out to be 75 and you could upgrade for a much smaller fee. If software unlocks these features then it would make sense for the company to try and get some revenue after the sale as it's no cost to them but R&D.

• Like x 1
  5. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

I suspect the first feature released that requires FSD will be the thing that annoys people the most unless they can very clearly differentiate it from EAP features.

But at least with the price rise they can discount back to the pre-increase price if they want without causing additional irritation.

I do take this as a strong sign that they are close to releasing something that will require FSD though, and since I did add FSD to my new purchase, I can only view that as a good thing from a personal perspective :)

• Like x 1
  6. sidmini

sidmini Member

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

That was on the Tesla Semi, but you'd have to assume the base code will be common to the other vehicles.

Not sure 'Mad Max' is a helpful working title though :)

8. sidmini

sidmini Member

yup on the semi but AP should be the same tech in the S and X, I hope.

• Like x 1
  9. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I think they may start rolling out a few token gesture "FSD" features in an attempt to avoid having to refund everyone who paid for non-existent functionality. I still can't believe Tesla get away with offering a product that doesn't exist. I think we're at least another decade or more from achieving FSD as defined by Tesla and the UK legal systems, insurance etc all need to be in place beforehand to make it a practical proposition. Even EAP functionality is not yet complete.

• Like x 1
  10. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

I completely agree, and the devil will be in the detail as they need to be very careful to leave a clear gap between the missing EAP capabilities and anything they choose to make dependent on having paid for FSD...

11. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Exactly. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but FSD as advertised is definitely a pipe dream for the life of my car! I'm surprised you opted for it to be honest, but hope you get something out of it. But if FSD actually did suddenly appear and was working as advertised, then it would be a total bargain for £4,700!

12. culverwood

culverwood Member

For those of us without autopilot the costs are currently:
    Enhanced Autopilot £5700
    Enhanced Autopilot + FSD £9500

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

That's exactly what my first thought was too and if that turns out to be the case it will be excellent news.

Elon has previous though ... "Ludicrous mode" ?? and then there was the tweet "Traffic in LA is awful I'm going to start tunnelling" and a few days later "I've started a new company and called it "The Boring Company" ...everyone still thought he was joking ...

And Space-x project for the BFR ... I liked the interview with the Boss of Space-X.

"Has Elon told you what BFR stands for?"
    "Yes" she said "The Big Falcon Rocket" :) bit of a smile on her face at the time though ...

I've read quite a number of people saying they are not bothered about delivery date (although they might hope for a refund / discount on next purchase), but that they were happy to "sponsor" Tesla to develop it. We all have our threshold for altruistic behaviour, and the price of FSD is above mine I'm afraid ...

I'm sitting pretty ... AP1, two years ago when I bought it, was (from memory) £1,500, so I've had great benefit.

14. DJP31

DJP31 Member

That was only when they reduced the price of the 75, so they reduced it to align the pricing. The 60 was always sold as a software limited 75 ( apart from the very early 60’s).