Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on lease buyout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

I'm looking at a new S. Private sale, current (first) owner leased the car from Tesla. So he will buy out the lease, and I will then buy the car from him.

The only thing that's giving me pause: is there any danger of Tesla yanking the FSD from the car? Any precedent either way?

TIA

JB

Last edited:
Hey all

I'm looking at a new S. Private sale, current (first) owner leased the car from Tesla. So he will buy out the lease, and I will then buy the car from him.

The only thing that's giving me pause: is there any danger of Tesla yanking the FSD from the car? Any precedent either way?
Like he said above - not an issue for FSD. Free supercharging is another story and that will vanish (if it is in play). Can confirm all of this by personal experience.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
I thought Tesla wasn't allowing lease buyouts
My understanding is there's a distinction on the ability to do lease buy-out on Model S/X versus Model 3/Y. The Model S/X did include option to purchase at end of lease versus the Model 3/Y lease has not included an option to buy the car out at the end of the lease.

What might be an important distinction is exactly what you mean when you say lease buy-out. That could potentially refer to purchase of the vehicle at the end of the stated lease period. That's the context for my comment above. Another meaning for buy-out could be the case where someone wants to end the lease early. I've not personally looked into that situation at the moment but I could see given the crazy inflated state of used car prices that leasing companies maybe wanting to not be as accommodating. However, I'd expect this would come back to what's the exact language in the lease documents which should be the real reference point for what's allowed.