Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it’s either or I’d go with the LR. EAP would be a plus. I really want FSD to work, but I’m not buying until it does. I already bought and sold my model 3 (now have a Y Performance) certainly wouldn’t have done that if I plunked down $10K for FSD along the way.

One more thing I will tell you, OP, as someone who has been here a while. One of the most vocal factions here on TMC is the "FSD sucks / dont waste your money" faction. People who like stuff are not nearly as vocal as people who dont. Most of the people who like FSD are waay (waay) (waaaaay) over having a debate on whether FSD is "worth it" any longer.

So, most of what you will see is people telling you that "FSD isnt worth it" because the people who think its worth it are likely not going to engage in that discussion.

With that being said, even those who think FSD is worth it would normally tell you to "take the battery size" first. If the choice is "smaller battery or FSD" the answer is almost always "skip FSD and get bigger battery" even from people who like FSD.

Now, back to your specific case. I will bring to your attention what I said a few posts up. You state your commute is "120 miles round trip, 3-4 times a week". That commute absolutely should have a LR battery, not a SR one. For the reason why, you will charge an SR+ from 90% to 20 ish percent. Thats from 236 miles to 52 miles or 184 miles. Miles will NOT roll off at 1:1 unless you drive like 50 MPH on the highway, which you likely are not, if you have a 60 mile 1 way commute.

So, your 120 mile commute is going to take, if driven at 70-75 or 80 MPH around 150 -180 miles, or, said another way, you will be basically driving your effective range 3 times a week, if you buy a SR+. It gets cold in AZ in the winter (likely as cold as it does in CA) so you will get worse range in the winter, even though you may not live in the snow.

Someone with your commute should be looking at a LR tesla, or they will likely be frustrated with the fact that their car "cant make a 120 mile trip without range anxiety".

TL ; DR ... dont even consider a SR+, get a LR, and if budget is an issue, without FSD (said as someone who has, and happens to like, FSD).
So much of that this!

I have FSD on both our cars. Enhanced Auto Pilot was what I wanted but when we got the 3 the step up to FSD was small enough it was worth it to have fun with it. I use Navigate on Autopilot pretty much every time I get on a freeway. When it came time to get the Y the only choice was FSD or basic Autopilot so the choice was obvious. I didn't want to have remember which car had which feature and have to tell my wife that her new car was missing features.

I'm with @jjrandorin , If couldn't afford both I would choose range/battery first. I'll claim some wisdom here, I've been driving EVs for almost 20 years. I don't think I've ever had a moment where I said, I wished I didn't have that extra range. The option that has EAP is possible winner.

Last edited:
We purchased a 12/2018 3MR with Autopilot for $2000 option. We are retired and don't need a car for work commute. Over the last 30 months we average 1000-1200 miles per month. That's about 40 miles per day. I understand that most people people would opt for a 3LR because they pout on way more miles than we do. When purchasing our car, we made the decision to get the 3MR with AP and other options (upgraded paint and interior) rather than a bare bones 3LR for the same price. We are 100% satisfied with our choice. Although we make a several hundred mile journey a couple of times a year and a 150 mile journey once a month, range has never been an issue for us. I visit a Supercharger about 4 times a year on our longer journeys and it is always a good rest stop. We have a 220 outlet in our garage and 99% of the time I just top it up to about 70% overnight for daily driving. On the other hand, we use AP on a daily basis, around town when appropriate and on the freeways. We think IT WORKS GREAT for our needs. Our car is a much better car than when we purchased it. We get an AP upgrade about once a month and it is like opening a Christmas present each time. My wife would never own another car without AP. BUT with regards to your choice between a 3MR and 3LR, YMMV.

I have a Cybertruk on reservation. We only need one car and I would like the utility of the truck. So we will have to make a choice whether to keep the 3MR or sell it to one of our daughters and keep the Ctruk. Much will depend on whether Elon will allow me to transfer my AP to the Ctruk. I know, Tesla say says "no can do" right now, but we shall see. I doubt that I would be willing to fork over $10K for AP on the Ctruk and for me a subscription would be even more expensive because I use it daily. In the meantime, I am as happy as can be with my 3MR. I don't know and I don't care what my battery degradation is.

FSD is still useless. I have it and I turn it on every now and then to see how they are progressing but aside for that I never use it. FSD is Level 2 and it might be years before they get to Level 4. Level 2 isn't self driving even if it were to most of the things a true self driving system would. With Level 2 you have to keep your hands on the wheel and you have to monitor the road just as you would if there was no automation at all. As long as you have to do that you are driving the car, it's not doing anything for you. Until you can act as a passenger instead of a driver there is no value in self driving. I hope they will be able to get to that point while I still own this car but I'm not holding my breath. Longer range on the other hand is something that you can use today.

Reactions: duanra