Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or no FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of my Model Y in about three weeks. I am probably going to lease - but unsure what to do about FSD. Is it worth it since I am leasing?

Also: What features do I NOT get if I decline FSD? For instance will I get to use summon?

Thanks !

P.S. I had a 2016 Model X - I sure hope the build quality is better now !

I am taking delivery of my Model Y in about three weeks. I am probably going to lease - but unsure what to do about FSD. Is it worth it since I am leasing?

Also: What features do I NOT get if I decline FSD? For instance will I get to use summon?

Thanks !

Since you are leasing, doesn't seam to make sense as you could just get the subscription once FSD is rolled out to everyone, not just the test group. Just my thoughts as I never investigated leasing a Tesla and don't know the price difference between FSD and non FSD.

Thanks !

If you lease, it's a perfect option to rent the FSD, rather than to pay $10,000 upfront then throw it away with your lease car at the end.

It's a monthly rent with cancellation and re-renting anytime (1 month at a time) so if you like it, you just keep paying, and if you don't like it you can stop paying for it. And if FSD will become real in the future, you can re-rent it at any time.

It takes a few weeks of steady use to overcome fear and for your brain to adapt to the different way of driving with NOA. A one month rental is not a good trial. I would urge people who rent it to be persistent and never give up like after a month.

I had purchased the EAP package with the 2018 car, it included NOA, so I was financially stuck committed. That motivated me to stick with it through the first terrifying period. After a while something clicks and you split your mind into a supervisory role, letting the car do the lower level operations, and intervening as needed without drama. The same learning process is required with FSD Beta.

When in doubt, learn to instantly pull up on the right stalk as a reflex to disable all assists before your foot even reaches the brake.

At this point I really really never want to give these up. For a few hours I thought I had lost the FSD Beta. My wife says I stopped smiling, no longer wagged my tail, had no appetite. Gloom. When it came back, I nearly pissed in my seat for joy. :p

Last edited:
FWIW, 5 months into my Model 3 ownership with FSD, I would not pay up-front for FSD if I was buying new now.

Most of it is pure gimmick. Traffic-aware cruise control and lane-keeping on highways are the only things I trust it to do, and you don't need FSD for that. I would perhaps miss stop sign and red-light recognition with TACC on city streets, but I'd get over that pretty fast.

If it became more useful in my lifetime - being able to go and park itself (reverse summon) and come back when I wanted it for example - which seems doubtful looking at the progress over recent years, I'd just take out the monthly subscription.

And as others have said, I certainly wouldn't pay if I was leasing :)

> For instance will I get to use summon?

No, but it's utterly useless in all real-world circumstances so don't worry about it.

>P.S. I had a 2016 Model X - I sure hope the build quality is better now !

It's hit and miss. Good luck!

Last edited:
Regular autopilot is only traffic-aware cruise control and autosteer on freeways.
FSD includes navigate on autopilot, auto lane change, autopark, summon, traffic light and stop sign control, and autosteer on city streets
It’s probably worth noting that autosteer on city streets is in beta and is not currently available for regular (non-beta) fsd users.

Reactions: Resist
FSD on a leased car is ridiculous. If you really want the features, do the $199/month plan. There’s no reason for you to pay $10k for something that would cost less than that over the period of the lease. Selling fully prepaid FSD on a leased car is the Tesla’s equivalent of upselling you on the undercoat.

Reactions: KJD
FSD on a leased car is ridiculous. If you really want the features, do the $199/month plan. There’s no reason for you to pay $10k for something that would cost less than that over the period of the lease. Selling fully prepaid FSD on a leased car is the Tesla’s equivalent of upselling you on the undercoat.
3 year lease = 3x 12x200 = $ 7,200.

Residual on 3 year lease = 50% -> 10,000 x 0.5 = $ 5,000

Which one is cheaper ?

Ignoring financing costs ...

Not true. Only city equivalent of NOA is restricted to 20k+ people. Anyone can easily get it though ...

Auto steer = lane keeping, part of basic AP.
Maybe you can use autopilot on a city street with no turns (which Tesla warns not to do), but doesn’t Tesla list “autosteer on city streets” as upcoming because it is a different feature that includes turning? Otherwise, why would it be listed as an upcoming feature?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference between the two? Either way, it is not currently very useful in a city IMO, so I feel that mentioning it as a current feature may be misleading and apparently Tesla feels the same. But again, maybe there is something that I am not understanding correctly.

Maybe you can use autopilot on a city street with no turns (which Tesla warns not to do), but doesn’t Tesla list “autosteer on city streets” as upcoming because it is a different feature that includes turning? Otherwise, why would it be listed as an upcoming feature?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference between the two? Either way, it is not currently very useful in a city IMO, so I feel that mentioning it as a current feature may be misleading and apparently Tesla feels the same. But again, maybe there is something that I am not understanding correctly.
I think so.

Lets go this way ...
Cruise Control <
Traffic Aware CC <
Basic AP <
"FSD" <
Early Access FSD Beta

BTW, I used "FSD" on city streets for almost 90% of my driving before FSD Beta.

No, you dont.

Im not touching the opinion piece of your question (there are probably 20 different threads in this subforum on that exact topic), but to answer your question, here is what comes with autopilot (which comes with the car) and FSD:
=============================

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 5.53.43 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
I think so.

Lets go this way ...
Cruise Control <
Traffic Aware CC <
Basic AP <
"FSD" <
Early Access FSD Beta

BTW, I used "FSD" on city streets for almost 90% of my driving before FSD Beta.
I think the confusion is Tesla’s website language of “Autosteer on city streets”. Autopilot can autosteer on city streets already, even with basic AP, but it‘s just (advanced) lane keeping and traffic aware cruise control. It’s “Navigate on city streets” that only early access FSD beta program people have.

Reactions: okcazure and EVNow
I think the confusion is Tesla’s website language of “Autosteer on city streets”. Autopilot can autosteer on city streets already, even with basic AP, but it‘s just (advanced) lane keeping and traffic aware cruise control. It’s “Navigate on city streets” that only early access FSD beta program people have.
Based on Tesla’s website language I assumed that “autosteer on city streets” is different than regular autosteer. So I figured that the difference is that it can turn onto a different street. So basically NOA on a city street.

I would think that many people will assume the same. Otherwise why would it even say upcoming? Especially since autosteer/tacc is not very useful in a city IMO. Sure, it can stay in a lane and regulate speed, but what good is city driving with no turns? That’s why I said I feel that it’s worth mentioning the current limitations when describing FSD features.