Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or not - deadline tomorrow noon !!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my silver Tesla is ready to be delivered - Delivery date set this Thursday, 6/15.

Struggling to decide if I need to add FSD to the car. Deadline is noon tomorrow.

The bummer is my sales advisor is going to charge me 500$ for a config change (even though it is just a software change) - this reduces the differential by 500$.

What would you folks suggest?
Wait. You can always add it in the future. Invest that $3,500 (what it will cost you to add FSDC now) in TSLA. Even at the current stock price, I expect that in a few years you will come out way ahead.

Tesla clearly states that the FSDC option is software that is not yet available. Not a scam. Simply an option that you can pay for now and get the software when it becomes available, or you can buy it later and have it added to your car but pay more.

Tesla is being as clear as they can about FSDC. What they can't know for sure is exactly when the software will be ready for release, and, when it is ready, how local laws will handle it.

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane
Tesla clearly states that the FSDC option is software that is not yet available. Not a scam. Simply an option that you can pay for now and get the software when it becomes available, or you can buy it later and have it added to your car but pay more.

Tesla is being as clear as they can about FSDC. What they can't know for sure is exactly when the software will be ready for release, and, when it is ready, how local laws will handle it.

False. It's a scam. Anyone reading this thread, you have been warned!

My stupid car can barely stay in the lanes around moderate curves (local roads, it's better on freeways) and you think people should give Tesla money for FSD? FSD is more than just a scam, it is dangerous. No way I would trust Elon, Tesla, or it's engineers to drive me along the highway or in a parking lot. See how well auto high beams work and decide if your life is worth beta testing Tesla's attempt (if they ever have one) of FSD.

My car tries crashing into my garage 1/4 of the time I use summon.

Tesla will NEVER achieve FSD with AP2. Even if they do (which they won't) it would be irresponsible to trust Tesla's implementation, since they literally cannot be trusted to properly test their code. Features they mark as complete (like auto high beams) are just laughable.

Last edited:
I received my car in Dec. 2016. I decided to go with FSD. HOWEVER, at that time EAP was expected to be right around the corner and at least some FSD functions were expected (by me) to come soon.

I misled myself. FSD was and still is vaporware. But, I don't think it is a scan as some have said. I say wait.

Last edited:
Just because something cannot happen right now that doesn't mean it can't happen in future.

For the past 45 years NASA has not sent any mission to the moon and 2 private citizens have already paid up for SpaceX trip around the moon even it has not carried anyone to the earth orbit just yet.

Agreed. But it does not give me any confidence that Tesla can actually deliver (ever) on FSD claims, when 10 months after announcement we don't even have parity of AP2 with AP1 and no where near an "enhanced" autopilot, summon, auto wipers, auto high beams, or basic $30,000 car safety features.

The price difference buying it at order time vs later is currently $1k. Yes, that could change...

The interest on $3k at 1.49% is $45/year. Tesla clearly designed the AP2 cars to be able to upgrade the nvidia drive PX board. I paid for it now on the off chance Tesla ends up having to upgrade the board to achieve FSD, at which point I would expect a price increase to enable FSD. Those that already paid for FSD will be entitled to the hardware upgrade at no additional charge.

It probably would be better to invest the $3k, although this way it's in the loan. If it takes Tesla 3 years to get to FSD it will cost me $135 in interest but I got it for $1k less (or more).

A

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and Tam
The price difference buying it at order time vs later is currently $1k. Yes, that could change...

The interest on $3k at 1.49% is $45/year. Tesla clearly designed the AP2 cars to be able to upgrade the nvidia drive PX board. I paid for it now on the off chance Tesla ends up having to upgrade the board to achieve FSD, at which point I would expect a price increase to enable FSD. Those that already paid for FSD will be entitled to the hardware upgrade at no additional charge.

It probably would be better to invest the $3k, although this way it's in the loan. If it takes Tesla 3 years to get to FSD it will cost me $135 in interest but I got it for $1k less (or more).

A

People are making a fairly unfounded assumption that meaningful FSD will actually come to exist within their ownership window. I've got a loaner AP2 right now, while my AP1 is in service. AP2 still isn't quite as good as AP1. It does some unexpected things, and I find it a bit less trustworthy.

The likelihood of having any form of true self driving in the next 5 years is next to nil, I think. I'll be impressed if it automatically and reliably stops at stop signs and lights, and if Tesla removes the "nag".

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: oktane and Viking1
People are making a fairly unfounded assumption that meaningful FSD will actually come to exist within their ownership window. I've got a loaner AP2 right now, while my AP1 is in service. AP2 still isn't quite as good as AP1. It does some unexpected things, and I find it a bit less trustworthy.

The likelihood of having any form of true self driving in the next 5 years is next to nil, I think. I'll be impressed if it automatically and reliably stops at stop signs and lights, and if Tesla removes the "nag".

My counter argument is, some people are severely underestimating the exponential growth that is enabled with machine learning and a fleet of sensors that is expanding at a rate of ~2k/week. I believe I will benefit from features enabled under the "FSD" umbrella during my ownership period of ~4 years, and likely by the end of 2018.

Reactions: EinSV
My counter argument is, some people are severely underestimating the exponential growth that is enabled with machine learning and a fleet of sensors that is expanding at a rate of ~2k/week. I believe I will benefit from features enabled under the "FSD" umbrella during my ownership period of ~4 years, and likely by the end of 2018.

Valid point, if the whole "fleet learning" thing is real. I know you're an optimist. Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but now I'm jaded against Tesla, so I'll believe it when I see it. Tesla has turned me from an evangelist of their products into a cynic.

Last edited:
Valid point, if the whole "fleet learning" thing is real. I know you're an optimist. Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but now I'm jaded against Tesla, so I'll believe it when I see it. Tesla has turned me from an evangelist of their products into a cynic.
And I completely understand why you would feel that way. Tesla has screwed the pooch a few times. Several of the incidents were avoidable. The hasty switch from MobileEye ... the devil is in the details and what the contract between the companies stated. I still believe Elon and Tesla's leadership to be honorable people. They just made some poor decisions, perhaps without fully understanding the ramifications. Some of them may not have been knowable.

Reactions: oktane
I'm going to play devil's advocate to the consensus expressed thus far: If more of us pay for FSD now, the influx of $$$ may help the feature become a reality sooner. It's analogous to putting a deposit on the Model 3. Our deposits helped the 3 become a reality.

I doubt that the speed of FSD implementation has anything to do with how many $3,000 orders they receive. I think they are going just as fast as they can. It is just a very difficult problem to solve, Plus I'll bet it is extremely difficult to hire and retain talent to work on EAP and FSD. There is so much competition now. Everyone wants a piece of the action. I hope it will come soon, but I very much doubt it. However, people are always doubting Elon. I'm sure he is use to it.