Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Portability/Transferability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the indefinite timeline for feature-complete FSD, I wish Tesla would offer portability for FSD purchases with a $1k or so transfer fee to move it to a new Tesla. I recognize Tesla would need to address complications, such as a process to obtain releases from the lienholders (assuming the FSD purchase is financed), but it seems like the revenue potential is worth it.

Offering FSD portability would have a number of major advantages for Tesla and customers:
  • Transferable FSD would encourage existing customers to buy another Tesla
  • More customers would be willing to take the FSD plunge. As it is now, I don't know how much of the life of my car will be consumed by the time FSD is truly feature complete.
  • Many of those waiting for a Model Y as their primary trip car would pay cash now
  • Transfer fees would be meaningful additional revenue HW3+ cars.
    • For cars without HW3, the transfer fee would probably be enough to cover the cost of the computer swap

I imagine I am like many others, in that I cannot justify spending $6k for the current feature set, not knowing if revolutionary capabilities will arrive before I get my next car. However, I am looking for an excuse to spend on FSD, and portability/transferability would be enough for me.

Reactions: chinnam3
Good argument. We bought FSD since we plan to keep the car forever, so we can be patient. But I know there are folks who replace their car every X years, whether it needs it or not. It's a lot harder to justify buying FSD if you think that substantial FSD feature delivery time will be greater than X, or even a large fraction of X.

Good argument. We bought FSD since we plan to keep the car forever, so we can be patient. But I know there are folks who replace their car every X years, whether it needs it or not. It's a lot harder to justify buying FSD if you think that substantial FSD feature delivery time will be greater than X, or even a large fraction of X.
We currently cram our 5 family members in the Model 3 for a lot of road trips because all five of us like it better than our roomier cars. However, the Model Y (or an X) will eventually be the primary trip car and the Model 3 will be a pure moderate distance commuter. Even though I expect to keep the 3, FSD only makes sense for me if I can transfer it to a Y or an X.

I always thought, if Tesla buys back a car, they can just erase the software, and then have the new owner pay to have it re-installed.

Or, anytime the car is sold, for that matter (no idea how it works)

Long T$LA

But seriously, it should be linked to your account, so any new car you buy, you have the privilege IMO.

FSD should be connected to the person/account not to the car. I have not purchased it for my 3. What if I trade up for a Y or pickup truck....it's crazy to have to keep buying it. It's just software, literally no reason for it not to be connected to your account. I don't think it's worth the price ..but I would atleast think about it if it stayed with me

Reactions: jordanair45
FSD should be connected to the person/account not to the car. I have not purchased it for my 3. What if I trade up for a Y or pickup truck....it's crazy to have to keep buying it. It's just software, literally no reason for it not to be connected to your account. I don't think it's worth the price ..but I would atleast think about it if it stayed with me

Agree because a similar suite from a car company runs you about $2k-2500k. Hell what what Audi's traffic jam? Even that was L3.

I would love it if you owned your FSD instead of the car. If you want to buy a new car you can just transfer the license (I assume a reasonable charge for this). I have a 3 and am thinking of what a pain it would be to pay so much for FSD again when I have not even gotten to use it if I were to upgrade now to a Y. If it were lets say $1k for a transfer it would be worth it. Used Tesla buyers could decide if they want the software or not...

Reactions: EVNation
I dont think they ever were able to release traffic jam pilot in the US (the Level 3 system, traffic jam assist is the Level 2 one). Wonder how much they charge for it overseas?
As far as I can tell they were never able to release it anywhere. Does anyone know if it actually exists? Perhaps someone who reads German can check their website.
Anyway it seems silly to make FSD transferable since the definition keeps changing. Buy FSD if you like the current features at the current price. If it gets more valuable with time then you’ll get that value back when you sell the car.

I agree we're currently in a weird situation where they're selling something that doesn't exist, but I don't think a one time purchase that transfers with you from car to car would ever be sustainable. There is ongoing R&D, new components will start getting introduced, software updated, etc. A one time fee shouldn't by you the latest and greatest indefinitely. A subscription model could make sense though I think.

I sold my Model 3 with FSD and bought a Model Y and have a reservation on a Cybertruck. I am hesitant to buy FSD for the Y because I may not keep it long enough to benefit much from it as was the case with the 3. Neither Tesla nor it any other dealer considers FSD in trade-in valuation so the only way to recoup any of the cost is through private sale to somebody who understands/wants it.

I would buy FSD today for the Y if I knew that I could transfer it to my next Tesla even if I had to pay the difference for what might then be the cost of FSD which will likely continue to rise as it becomes more capablie. By agreeing to this, Tesla would get a FSD sale today, a FSD upgrade sale when I transfer it and the potential of another FSD sale on my Y with the new owner. Seems very logical.

I wonder if current owners were polled, how many would upgrade today on those terms. A pretty fair number I'd wager.

What happens if you sell your car and don't want to buy another Tesla? It seems unrealistically complex to have both options (keep the FSD with your account or transfer it with the car). There could be other examples I'm not aware of in the market, but it seems like every other vehicle option, including software, goes with the vehicle and not the account. Just like any other option, there is a resale impact. Most options depreciate faster than the underlying car, so it's unrealistic to expect that you would get paid $7K for it when you sell the car, but it's not like the value of FSD is $0 on the secondary market.

What happens if you sell your car and don't want to buy another Tesla? It seems unrealistically complex to have both options (keep the FSD with your account or transfer it with the car). There could be other examples I'm not aware of in the market, but it seems like every other vehicle option, including software, goes with the vehicle and not the account. Just like any other option, there is a resale impact. Most options depreciate faster than the underlying car, so it's unrealistic to expect that you would get paid $7K for it when you sell the car, but it's not like the value of FSD is $0 on the secondary market.

It's a simple software switch. Not all that complicated. Either it goes with the car or is transferred to a different car. Unlike traditional, old school options, FSD is appreciating. For an owner to add it to a car that didn't already have it was $7k in June and $8k today and likely more when more FSD functionality becomes available. Looking at it the old way is ignoring the new paradigm that Tesla has created. I won't be surprised when an owner of a Tesla with FSD will be able to sell it for more than they paid for it.