Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase disincentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't miss my opportunity at all. I purposefully did NOT buy FSD for our X75D.
I did pre-purchase FSD on my March '17 S100D and did not for my December '17 X75D as I saw EAP literally doing pathetic and had no comfort that Tesla would pull off FSD before both cars were in the recycle bin. If FSD does become available I guess my only comfort will be IF I choose to get FSD on our X75D I will have effectively paid $4,000 for each car. :confused::confused::confused:

I agree.
Regardless of the whole caveat emptor angle, it’s a crappy way to treat customers.
The price to purchase when I bought my car was $3000 before delivery or $4000 after. I made a conscious decision to save some money on vaporware at the time with an acceptable $1000 penalty for adding it later. Now, the penalty’s become $2000, which is a bigger pill to swallow. This isn’t a good way to treat existing owners who are all, essentially, the early adopters putting up with all the bugs and issues as the company finds its footing.

While I understand that price increases for FSD are inevitable, the way it increased unannounced for existing owners overnight frankly disincentivizes me from committing to purchasing it right now. If they had announced some features to expect and said the price will be going up from $4000 to $5000 on Day X (e.g. August 1), I would likely have pulled the trigger now.

As it is, this sudden 20% increase has made me decide to wait and see.
It is unfortunate that they didn't give a deadline allowing current owners the chance to upgrade before the price increase.

BTW, it's actually a 25% price increase, not 20%. $4000 * 1.25 = $5000

Reactions: MIT_S60
Step 1. Release a version of code that makes EAP incredibly annoying to use, requiring human intervention so often you might as well just not use it.
Step 2. Announce some cool new FSD things are coming out that makes EAP seem worthless
Step 3. Raise the price of FSD.

I'd imagine this is on a whiteboard somewhere at Tesla. ;)
Step 4. Profit!

Well this leaves me even more confused. I've got a 2016 HW2 car but stuck with the non-EAP autopilot features. I don't have an option on my Tesla account page to upgrade, and never have. But as more time passes and I learn that none of the EAP features have been released, I'm increasingly glad that I didn't shell out any extra cash for EAP or FSD. My car is great as it is. It's a shame Tesla took so many customer's money without delivering on their promises.

My advice is to ignore whatever Elon Musk says on twitter. I'm much happier after getting off that roller coaster. :)

My May 2018 build S75D with MCU2 no longer has any FSD upgrade showing anywhere on the Tesla site. I can buy the extended warranty and that's it.

This makes me think that FSD will require hardware upgrades to AP2 cars.

FSD is years away... seriously. I know Elon made it sound like it is just around the corner, and well meaning folks sprung for it... but it is a long ways away from reality.

Full Self Driving is a long way off, but not portions of FSD or FSD features. My guess is Tesla will trickle out FSD-features until its a 100% FSD.

While I agree that prices can change over time, I agree with many members above that if you buy something and it says $4000 Later - that it should be $4000 later - unless there was a "price subject to change" caveat that we all didn't see?
I agree with this, and know there was NOT a possible price change notice on the ordering page. I hate to say it, but Tesla may be digging themselves into another class action lawsuit. :-(

While I understand that price increases for FSD are inevitable, the way it increased unannounced for existing owners overnight frankly disincentivizes me from committing to purchasing it right now. If they had announced some features to expect and said the price will be going up from $4000 to $5000 on Day X (e.g. August 1), I would likely have pulled the trigger now.

As it is, this sudden 20% increase has made me decide to wait and see.

FYI, $4000 to $5000 is a 25% increase...

I agree with this, and know there was NOT a possible price change notice on the ordering page. I hate to say it, but Tesla may be digging themselves into another class action lawsuit. :-(

While I agree that this sucks, I'm not sure the upgrade price was in any T&Cs. I doubt there's a class action to be had.

I seriously thought they would have given people a heads up about a price increase. At least that way, those that were on the fence would have jumped. Now, hardly anyone is going to upgrade at $4k. At least until something FSD is released and proves to be safe.

While I agree that prices can change over time, I agree with many members above that if you buy something and it says $4000 Later - that it should be $4000 later - unless there was a "price subject to change" caveat that we all didn't see?

There was. Look at your purchase agreement. The good news is that Electrek is reporting Tesla says it is an error and everyone who has already bought a car will have the $4k, not $5k upgrade price. I think Tesla was within the terms of the contract to change it at will but they do not want to do that (at this time).

What portions? There is no officially released list of SD features that make up FSD.
No one knows for sure. Elon only said the First FSD Features will start to roll out with v9 in August. But it should not be that hard to guess what those would be. I think there are threads here that do just that. I agree with the poster you replied to that like EAP, FSD Features will be come out over time.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks