Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase disincentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the difference between the X60D and the X75D was around $74k to $84k for the base models before it was discontinued in October 2016. I remember that I would have purchased the X if the entry level price was still $74k, but the jump from $66k to $84k to go from the S60 to the X75D was too much to swallow.
I looked up our old car paperwork, base S60D was $71K. I don't have specific S75D prices saved, but IIRC it was ~$80K, and base X75D was $5K higher.

Can anyone with MCU2 verify that FSD price has gone up for them as well?

I have an MCU2 car, but I purchased FSD a few days before the price increase.

However, when I configure a new car (which obviously would have MCU2) the configuration page does mention something like:
EUR 3000,- (or EUR 5300,- after delivery).

So it seems that MCU2 cars have gone up as well

I have an MCU2 car, but I purchased FSD a few days before the price increase.

However, when I configure a new car (which obviously would have MCU2) the configuration page does mention something like:
EUR 3000,- (or EUR 5300,- after delivery).

So it seems that MCU2 cars have gone up as well

It's for all new cars. I don't know the cutoff date for orders. But all I know if that any new car purchase today and beyond have that higher FSD price increase.

I feel a little pissed to be honest. At the buying date the seller told me that I do not have to choose the FSD option now. I can test with the first step and can have it later for 4k€ whenever I want.
Now I was an a nice holiday with the car , very satisfied and wanted to invest those 4k€. And find out that the price has gone up. I had no information about it and also no chance to buy it earlier because my credit cards limit is too low to pay more than 4.000 a period.
But it sucks most that less than 6 months ago at the store I was told that it will just be 1.000 more expensive than at order date. And now it is nearly twice as expensive for existing owners than for new ones... I can not understand this step. :(

I don't want to gloat or anything, but when the rumors about FSD in v9 have started I immediately purchased FSD...

I have anticipated a price increase from day one. Rumors have been going on for years that the current hardware is inadequate for FSD, and replacing hardware is labor intensive.

How do you know? There are very little companies that deliver a product that comes with hardware for features that they have announced without a timeframe. I can't think of any other product.

However, expected product pricing can change during development, however, the end-user will never know it has changed because it wasn't up for sale yet.

I can fully understand Tesla increases FSD pricing because it turned out development is harder than initially thought and thus development costs are higher. Or perhaps they do anticipate a hardware upgrade is required for maybe MCU1 cars? Or AP1 cars?

Sonos speakers come with hardware for software/feature set that are not ready for release.

This was what I got when I asked Tesla about current owner pricing for getting FSD:
As of June 26, 2018, the price of Full Self-Driving software after purchase has increased from $4,000 to $5,000. This applies to new orders only.

Tesla will honor the $4000.00 price for anyone that ordered a car on or before Monday, June 25, 2018. Customers can order Full Self-Driving software now, and the $5000.00 price will be charged for the order, but they will receive a $1,000 refund. The refund will be processed automatically.​
Has anyone tried getting the upgrade and the $1000 refund?

I was on the telephone with a european Tesla location.. They told me that there will be no refund in any way. The price for all will be the new increased one.

I tried to find a source for this words:

Tesla will honor the $4000.00 price for anyone that ordered a car on or before Monday, June 25, 2018. Customers can order Full Self-Driving software now, and the $5000.00 price will be charged for the order, but they will receive a $1,000 refund. The refund will be processed automatically.

But I could not find anything official… :( Maybe someone has one? If yes, would be great if anyone can post it here.

EDIT. I tried it today in Austria at the local SeC. There is no refund or anything else. New price is 5.200€.

And I found out that I can not buy it. Can just be done with the account and only with credit card. My bank tells me that they can raise the limit once to 5.000€, but 5.200€ will not be done. So. no money for tesla on this way…
Does it make sence to get in contact with the EU help service?