Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price increase in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD hiked from 6300€ to 7500€ in France (maybe all continental Europe) today...colours up by 50€ to 1050€ (except red which is 2100€) and the tow hook up by 70€ to 1070€. I have to believe that FSD means Functional Some Day and it's a spectacular investment for the future...

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I have to believe that FSD means Functional Some Day and it's a spectacular investment for the future...

Someone else described FSD as “Fake Self Driving” :p

“Full Self Driving” means something different to Elon than it does to me. To me it means at least Level 4 automation. We are still several years off that in this country, partly because no commercially available car is capable of it and partly because legislation won’t allow it. Personally I wouldn’t buy FSD unless I was going to keep the car for at least 6 years, maybe more, and I tend to change my car every 2/3 years.

Elon, of course, claimed that FSD would be “feature complete” by the end of LAST year, which was another example of him talking out of his hairy hoop.

At the moment the M3 won’t autosteer round a bend on a decent country road without behaving like a 17 year old after a few lessons. Speed is erratic, it’s likely to cross a double white line in the middle of the road, or demand you take over as it heads for the kerb. Nowhere close to an FSD capability. But geat to drive manually! I don’t regret not paying for FSD for a moment. I don’t think I would buy it if it came on offer at £1000.

If anyone in the UK buys this you are a fool. It really is the Emperor's New Clothes.
I’m going to believe what Elon tells me, because he doesn’t lie and he always delivers. Maybe a little late, but he delivers. And today he is saying this on Twitter
BA2FDFA6-D95A-4FEC-8033-2D4005D3C836.jpeg
FB865C0B-8152-489E-A72C-5B43922DFF15.png

The latest automation EU rules are going to hobble FSD. No autopilot on roads not separated by a barrier, or over 57mpg etc. I was offered FSD for £2.8k and didn’t take them up on it.
Elon is building a Gigafactory in Berlin. I have a feeling the EU will soon start seeing things his way. And I believe those rules may apply to Level 4 autonomous and FSD isn’t Level 4? I read that somewhere.

Not sure but also not sure why it’s called FSD if it’s not level 4. In the UK it can’t take roundabouts or anything other than going along a road. Can’t take left/right turns or even semi sharp corners over about 40mph without the ‘take over’ warnings. It’s really nothing more than a fancy lane keep assist at present.

Reactions: drewpost
Not sure but also not sure why it’s called FSD if it’s not level 4. In the UK it can’t take roundabouts or anything other than going along a road. Can’t take left/right turns or even semi sharp corners over about 40mph without the ‘take over’ warnings. It’s really nothing more than a fancy lane keep assist at present.
Tesla has been clear it is not yet for city driving, just motorways.

Reactions: MrBadger
I’m going to believe what Elon tells me, because he doesn’t lie and he always delivers. Maybe a little late, but he delivers.

A little late? FSD was supposed to be “feature complete” six months ago and it turns out Tesla are having to completely re-write the autopilot software.

There are many automotive experts who maintain that self driving will never be possible without some sort of LIDAR. Elon disagrees, and it will be interesting to see who’s right.

Whatever happens, Level 4 automation is still many years off in this country, and for this reason I don’t think FSD will be worth the money for many years to come. Which is fine with me because I actually enjoy driving the car.

Reactions: Asterix187
As the price continues to increase, unless Tesla 'futureproof' FSD ownership by licencing to the owner rather than the car, less people will purchase it until it truly does provide full self driving.
I think the takeup would be a lot higher if that were the case.

I can only assume that their internal sales metrics show that the uptake of FSD is good enough for them. After all, at least on the currenty HW3 Model 3, it is a purely software unlock.

I’m going to believe what Elon tells me, because he doesn’t lie and he always delivers. Maybe a little late, but he delivers. And today he is saying this on Twitter View attachment 559476View attachment 559477

Thanks for that. I was wondering if smart summon was using the new code, but having seen those, I'm not so sure. At least, not using all the new code. One Tesla presentation was showing 3D view when using advance summon and I was hoping that it was not the new code - even without our smart summon restrictions, smart summon still has some way to go.

Not sure if it will be a 'big bang' introduction. EM talks about transitioning but not sure if that just extra functionality being transitioned in, or whether that includes existing functionality on the new stack. Having worked on several 'big bang' projects, I don't have a problem with that approach per se as long as it is properly tested, however this is Tesla so I will probably take a big step back for a while when it is introduced ;)

Reactions: AnthonyLR
There are many automotive experts who maintain that self driving will never be possible without some sort of LIDAR. Elon disagrees, and it will be interesting to see who’s right.

I saw a video the other day which showed quite a few industry experts coming round to Elon’s view that LIDAR doesn’t need to be used. SpaceX uses LIDAR for space station docking so they understand the tech.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
HSD (Human Self Driving!) uses only two cameras, mounted *inside* the car, combined with three mirrors and does the job.

I agree with Elon (as does my pension fund!)
I agree too.

At the end of the day I think self-driving comes down to resolution, framerate and processing power. Approaching it from the mindset that we manage it perfectly well with 2 cameras, 3 mirrors and a brain is sound logic, I think.

I actually think stuff like LIDAR and sensors etc is missing the point somewhat. Stuff like that is a bandaid - I think - for insufficient performance in the cameras or CPUs.

On a long enough timeline I think we will get to a point where cars communicate their positions, velocity and even intentions to other vehicles within a certain radius, making the need for cameras to identify them as vehicles somewhat moot.

The real challenge currently is how to deal with the present. The biggest problem I think with self-driving is anticipation, which is AI at the end of the day. Any half decent driver has a sixth sense about vehicles that are about to pull out, or people who look like they aren't paying attention - or are simply too young to know better - about to cross the road, etc. Self-driving needs to deal with that effectively to go to the next level, as it were. Cameras and CPUs will continue to get better and better, exponentially, as time goes on.