Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase on Jan 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD on my 2018 M3 (April delivery) with the upgraded computer. I think I added it at some point when it was on sale.

I am still waiting for it to work. When will I be able to have my car take me to a destination and take a nap or read email, or use my car as a Robo Taxi?

We have a model Y on order for delivery in March, and have not purchased FSD. Tesla makes great Electric cars, but I am starting to think that Tesla should be paying us to be beta testers, not selling us FSD that doesn't work for $12K.
This is what I don't understand as well. In order to advance FSD, Tesla needs as many drivers as possible to collect data on all different scenarios, NOT jus the high safety score drivers. How do you encourage wide adoption? You lower the price, or do a 30 day free trial. Also, FSD is NOT transferrable, so if we buy it and god forbid crash the car, the FSD is gone, we'll have to buy it again. Sure insurance may replace it, but isn't FSD suppose to be safer? So our insurance premium should go down then, but why is insurance having to pay more to replace to car?

Fortunately I'm not a coffee drinker or else I'd have a non-working keyboard after reading Elon's tweet today 😄. Everything about FSD seems completely detached from reality... Expectations, performance and pricing. It would be one thing if every subsequent FSD beta release was making substantial improvements and providing a sense of honing in on a fairly stable and rock-solid FSD experience in the next few releases. But instead, almost nothing I've seen so far indicates any justification for the $10K price tag, let alone an increase to $12K.

Fortunately I'm not a coffee drinker or else I'd have a non-working keyboard after reading Elon's tweet today 😄. Everything about FSD seems completely detached from reality... Expectations, performance and pricing. It would be one thing if every subsequent FSD beta release was making substantial improvements and providing a sense of honing in on a fairly stable and rock-solid FSD experience in the next few releases. But instead, almost nothing I've seen so far indicates any justification for the $10K price tag, let alone an increase to $12K.

to be transparent and to clarify, you are an FSD owner and you have been accepted into the beta program? Or are you speaking from heresay and what youre seeing in videos?

Absolute insanity.

If anything, they need to be lowering the price to increase the currently abysmal take rate of around 10%.

The FOMO tweets aren’t working on anyone with half a brain or anyone who has previously fallen for the FSD scam.

What they really need to do is to stop selling FSD as a one time purchase, and instead switch entirely over to the subscription model.

Offer the subscription model in both a monthly plan, and an annual plan.

Over time if it actually increases safety then offer a discount on Tesla insurance if its combined with an FSD subscription.

Reactions: K1Woods
to be transparent and to clarify, you are an FSD owner and you have been accepted into the beta program? Or are you speaking from heresay and what youre seeing in videos?
Nope, I'm still waiting on my MYLR and there isn't any way in the world I'd pay Tesla $10K for what they are offering at the moment. I have tried the FSD beta out in a friend's car several times and also follow some regular FSD testers to get a sense for how things are improving (or not). I mean it's not hard to get a decent idea of the state of FSD Beta given the fairly wide deployment across Tesla owners who have paid for FSD and who post videos up all the time.

Last edited:
I'm an FSD owner that's been part of the FSD beta since 10.3.X, and I completely agree with their statements.

My experience with EAP/FSD/FSD Beta is that it's "fake it till you make it" ware.

Elon is just making things up as they go. I don't think any Engineer at Tesla actually supports any of this ridiculousness.

Now I'm not going anywhere.

I'm going to see how this journey concludes, but its like in the 4th quarter and our team is down by 42 points.

Nope, I'm still waiting in my MYLR and there isn't any way in the world I'd pay Tesla $10K for what they are offering at the moment. I have tried the FSD beta out in a friend's car several times and also follow some regular FSD testers to get a sense for how things are improving (or not). I mean it's not hard to get a decent idea of the state of FSD Beta given the fairly wide deployment across Tesla owners who have paid for FSD and who post videos up all the time.
I think its best to judge it from a spousal's acceptance rate.

So far even the true believers won't jeopardize their marriage by using FSD Beta while their spouse is in the car.

I'm an FSD owner that's been part of the FSD beta since 10.3.X, and I completely agree with their statements.

My experience with EAP/FSD/FSD Beta is that it's "fake it till you make it" ware.

Elon is just making things up as they go. I don't think any Engineer at Tesla actually supports any of this ridiculousness.

Now I'm not going anywhere.

I'm going to see how this journey concludes, but its like in the 4th quarter and our team is down by 42 points.

Is this the spot where we mention... Elizabeth Holmes? 😄

Last edited:
What new feature is coming? Call me a hater, but having FSD for over two months now I'm not seeing it.

I paid $5k for it with my 3 and just now getting to use it. No way I'd consider paying $10k for it now let alone more.

Give us EAP or let us transfer it.

Reactions: hlin07
I don't know the feasibility of this but does anyone think that FSD will one day be transferrable? Such as when it is in production? That is the only way I could ever see anyone paying upwards of $15,000 for it as an optional upgrade in the future. If it was transferrable 1-2 times per purchase then everyone would look at the up front purchase price with a lot more interest and the subscription would be a bit less attractive. If the up front cost keeps rising and the subscription cost stays the same until we are at production code (Elon's tweet implied that we still have at least 1 more update before we are at production code) then anyone that bought FSD at any price looks foolish.

Paid for FSD more than 5 years ago on my 2016 Model S. Got computer upgrade a year or so ago, camera upgrade yesterday (fun fact: camera upgrade was rescheduled 5 times over a month as they kept not getting parts).

I've maintained a 99 safety score for more than a month. Maybe I'll get the beta this weekend! What with the new cameras my car is finally hardware-ready.

Yeah. I know.

FSD is for people who don't know how to drive, can't get Uber or Lyft services in town, or just completely bad or a scared driver. If you can't walk where you need to go and has no other options then FSD Beta may be an option. Everytime I use FSD, I scream at the car "what the F?"
Excellent drivers make stupid mistakes every day. FSD (someday) will never get tired, or distracted, and can (potentially) react faster than any human. It's for anyone who's tired of driving the same route to work every day, gets drowsy on a long highway trek, or just didn't see that pedestrian.

I'm an avid auto enthusiast, and have several exotic ICE cars. But my Model S is my daily driver, and I'm eager to see what FSD evolved into, if oh so very tired of Elon's proclamations about it...