Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase on Jan 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know the feasibility of this but does anyone think that FSD will one day be transferrable? Such as when it is in production? That is the only way I could ever see anyone paying upwards of $15,000 for it as an optional upgrade in the future. If it was transferrable 1-2 times per purchase then everyone would look at the up front purchase price with a lot more interest and the subscription would be a bit less attractive. If the up front cost keeps rising and the subscription cost stays the same until we are at production code (Elon's tweet implied that we still have at least 1 more update before we are at production code) then anyone that bought FSD at any price looks foolish.
This would be the ticket to adoption: tie it to a login you can use in any Tesla that has the equipment.

• Love
Reactions: JHCCAZ and Skione65
I just don’t see it. As a new Tesla Model S owner and trying the subscription FSD for the last month, the only think I like is the auto lane change and really not sure why that is not part of the basic package the comes with the car. Other than that, I don’t even get what FSD does well, as it certainly is no exiting the freeway. I can’t see how it is even close to full FSD, especially in winter climates.

Reactions: Sporty
Seems like premature and bad timing. While Musk is optimistically hopeful that FSD Beta will be in wide release soon seems Tesla should have just waited for that day and made the increase part of the promotion. That way if it is delayed (which history indicates it will be) then the increase won't seem so out of place. In fact Tesla probably should have just waited and did a large increase when it is available instead of the incremental increases that have killed the take up rate.

Reactions: diplomat33
Paid for FSD more than 5 years ago on my 2016 Model S. Got computer upgrade a year or so ago, camera upgrade yesterday (fun fact: camera upgrade was rescheduled 5 times over a month as they kept not getting parts).

I've maintained a 99 safety score for more than a month. Maybe I'll get the beta this weekend! What with the new cameras my car is finally hardware-ready.

Yeah. I know.
They should REALLY give you long-time FSD buyers the beta as part of the camera update service visit. No one deserves it more than the owners who bought FSD 5+ years ago!

I paid $6k for FSD on my 2020 Y. I had no problem swallowing that pill. I usually check every box when buying a new car, so $6k wasn’t terrible. I also want the best and most advanced ADAS available, and for me, Tesla offered that, and I’m very happy with the performance of 10.8.

I hang onto cars for about 2years, so it’s about time for me to think about ordering another Y or an X. It would be stupid for me to pay for FSD at $10,000, as the subscription service would only cost me $4,800.00 over the course of two years.

Now, if FSD was priced at $4-5k, I’d buy the option outright, even if I was paying more then what the subscription would cost over the duration of ownership. $12,000.00 is off the table for me. You find $12,000.00 options on Bentleys, Tesla’s aren’t Bentleys.

My friend bought FSD when it was 5K Enhanced autopilot + 2K FSD upgrade total of 7k, 3 years ago. While he still enjoys driving his model 3, his biggest regret was buying that FSD.

If he had taken that 7K and put it in an S&P 500 index fund, he would have made ~(4677-3265)/3200 = .44 x 7000 = $3088 on it

I'm not even going to work out what he would have if he bought any particular single stock :)

Hindsight is always 20/20, of course.

Everyone has their own ideology about what they enjoy in life, which dictates what to spend their money in order to give life purpose.

Personally FSD to me in virtually worthless: If my car were able to have it if and when it ever happens I don't think I would pay $500 for it.

Being able to drive long highways without needing to put my foot or hands on either a pedal or steering wheel is all I will ever want.

I think Mobileye would be smart to undercut Tesla and keep the price below Tesla's price, especially if the production version of Tesla's FSD is still L2. If the choice is between Tesla's L2 FSD for $12k or Mobileye's L4 for $5k, most people will go with Mobileye IMO. Even if Tesla's production version FSD was L4, I think most people would still go with Mobileye. Why pay $12k for L4 when you can get it for $5k? Of course, that is assuming the two products are comparable. If say Mobileye's L4 does not work as well as Tesla's FSD or has a smaller ODD, then consumers could see Tesla's FSD as a better deal even though it is more expensive.
I'm not sure that you can compare them as purchasable products, though. they are embedded products.

the only one to sell tesla software is tesla.

otoh, I expect many vendors to latch on to 3rd party *working* sw and M.E. seems like one of the leaders of the pack.

one huge diff: tesla never intended their software to be portable to other architectures/cars. so, really, it would be too much effort for any car company to buy and integrate tesla's sw.

imagine having to DEAL with tesla as a SUPPLIER! I shudder at the thought!

no, no one would want to even try integrating tesla's software. and they are too far along to go with something more standard and portable (as much as I dislike much of its aspects, autosar IS the only real standard out there and if you want to mix/max more advanced ecu's you'll need to at least speak autosar API to them.

when you go it alone, you have to patch your own stacks, write all your own drivers and new code and tbh, tesla has run into a wall where they just cannot manage this much tech and keep it moving forward at their 'old rate'. the legacy code (we call it 'built up technical dept') will catch up with them, as I bet it already has. its also why you hear about 'rewrites', periodically.

Reactions: diplomat33
I'm not sure that you can compare them as purchasable products, though. they are embedded products.

the only one to sell tesla software is tesla.

otoh, I expect many vendors to latch on to 3rd party *working* sw and M.E. seems like one of the leaders of the pack.

one huge diff: tesla never intended their software to be portable to other architectures/cars. so, really, it would be too much effort for any car company to buy and integrate tesla's sw.

imagine having to DEAL with tesla as a SUPPLIER! I shudder at the thought!

no, no one would want to even try integrating tesla's software. and they are too far along to go with something more standard and portable (as much as I dislike much of its aspects, autosar IS the only real standard out there and if you want to mix/max more advanced ecu's you'll need to at least speak autosar API to them.

when you go it alone, you have to patch your own stacks, write all your own drivers and new code and tbh, tesla has run into a wall where they just cannot manage this much tech and keep it moving forward at their 'old rate'. the legacy code (we call it 'built up technical dept') will catch up with them, as I bet it already has. its also why you hear about 'rewrites', periodically.
Like many commentators here I too purchased FSD with my 2018 Model 3.
Though the price was a bit high back then, but as a 73 year old guy thought it had two distinctive benefits. Robotaxi & if/when my driving abilities declined…..still had the freedom of a car to move around in.
So, flash forward to 2021! Imagine my surprise when you learn the vapor-ware is not transferable or no consideration when you purchase another Tesla. Still purchased a Model Y as Tesla is still a great choice in the ev market. However….as said in several posts, EM is really out of touch in so many ways with FSD. Subscription model would be my advice if someone just had to have FSD! However….talk about the old time snake oil peddlers, IMO, we all got snookered. Competition will certainly sort out this over the next several years.
May I live long enough to see it all happen.
Wait….at the rate all FSD is going, might need to be a 100! LOL

Like many commentators here I too purchased FSD with my 2018 Model 3.
Though the price was a bit high back then, but as a 73 year old guy thought it had two distinctive benefits. Robotaxi & if/when my driving abilities declined…..still had the freedom of a car to move around in.
So, flash forward to 2021! Imagine my surprise when you learn the vapor-ware is not transferable or no consideration when you purchase another Tesla. Still purchased a Model Y as Tesla is still a great choice in the ev market. However….as said in several posts, EM is really out of touch in so many ways with FSD. Subscription model would be my advice if someone just had to have FSD! However….talk about the old time snake oil peddlers, IMO, we all got snookered. Competition will certainly sort out this over the next several years.
May I live long enough to see it all happen.
Wait….at the rate all FSD is going, might need to be a 100! LOL
That's what I tell my friends, buy tesla for the way it is without FSD. Don't even bother with FSD. Besides, FSD will likely never figure out how to drive in the snow.

Reactions: Sporty