TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD price increase?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Latibes, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Latibes

Latibes Member

Saw a tweet from Musk saying FSD is to increase in price from Nov 1st by $1,000 dollars. Can this be confirmed?

2. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Well he said same for August too and nothing happened.

I have not seen it, but it may be the August one being applied in Nov. It was meant to coincide with smart summon so price increase for no functionality here in UK.

• Like x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

May be able to confirm on Nov 2

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. MacJester

MacJester Member

I’d be pretty narked if he increased the price before delivering the autopilot on city streets they’ve been promising for this year. I wouldn’t pay a tenner to have Cuphead on my phone, never mind a grand to have it in my car...

• Disagree x 1
  5. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Since FSD does very little useful in Europe right now if you have £6k+ spare you'd be better off taking the money and spending it on Tesla Shares.
    If FSD ever does what Elon says it will your shares will be worth 10 times what you paid and you can sell them and buy FSD on whatever Tesla you have then. If it never does pan out you might still get a some or all of your money back which is more than you will if you spend it on FSD and it never arrives in time for your current Tesla.

• Like x 2
  6. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

He has been pretty clear that there will be a price increase of $1000 on FSD. Originally if was August but since v10 did not come out he changed it to November. The OP did not include the part where he said "since v10 is now out" FSD will increase by $1000.

I agree I hope street level FSD is coming soon to justify this increase. But I will believe it when "I can test it" in my car(s).

7. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

what has cup head got to do with anything as everyone is getting v10 not just FSD users!

Well I wouldn’t advise purchasing shares just because you don’t want to buy FSD and there is no guarantee about the stock price for sure!

• Like x 2
  8. VanillaAir_UK

I guess that depends on which bits you use. I personally think NOA is a pretty good start in some circumstances.

FSD currently does what EAP did that many people were happy to pay for. Now it is 'free' AP (ok was rolled into base price with a price increase), paid for FSD, but no EAP option. Previously AP, EAP and FSD were all paid options. So for now, EAP and FSD are effectively the same, but feature set is set to diverge. The only people with any gripe are AP, EAP and FSD full set owners where currently FSD gives them nothing. But some got upgrade from EAP to FSD at various discounted prices, which at one point gave price parity between EAP+FSD and FSD.

And a Tesla shareholder, I can tell you its a much more hairy ride than travelling on NOA.

9. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

Please tell me you aren’t really expecting AP to work on city streets in the foreseeable future?

10. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

<TeslaLesson>
    Buy what you see today, not a promise on what *might* happen tomorrow
    </TeslaLesson>

• Like x 2
  11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Do not judge Elon by what he says, but what he does.

His tweet simply announces his intention at the time of the tweet. Things often change.

If you place your order prior to the price increase, you will not pay the bump.

As more FSD capabilities are rolled out, the value will also increase. Makes sense that people pre-ordering will pay less than those who wait until after the features are delivered. Kind of like crowd funding sites.

• Like x 1
  12. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

[QUOTE="Well I wouldn’t advise purchasing shares just because you don’t want to buy FSD and there is no guarantee about the stock price for sure![/QUOTE]
    I said the shares would be a better investment than FSD. I didn't say they were a good investment!

• Funny x 2
  13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

:)

Tesla has a history of "Announce big change" ... "Outrage!!" ... "Announce delay to give buyers more time" and/or "Announce much smaller change" (maybe the later was the original intention and goes through on the nod because "Not as bad as the original announcement" ... CynicalMe ...)

marketing I reckon.

50% "If I don't buy it now I'll never be able to afford it"
    50% "I don't need it"
    and the other 50% :) "I'll buy it in a fire sale"

I would like FSD to be transferable (and removed) from existing vehicle. Of course if Tesla buy majority of vehicles for 2nd sale that is no benefit to them, but if not then it would allay fears of "You sold me this and it's never worked"

• Like x 1
  14. CMc1

CMc1 Supporting Member

• Like x 1
  15. MacJester

MacJester Member

I’m really not! Which was kind of the point. The suggestion was that the price increase would follow the release of v10, which I always assumed meant v10 would bring substantive improvements. Instead it’s brought a few entertainment upgrades which vary between mildly interesting and basically pointless (hence my earlier cuphead reference). Yes there is Summon (beta), but even that is more a building block to the future than anything practical today.

Currently I’ve got an M3 LR on order with FSD, but I’m 95% of the way to cancelling FSD and just buying an upgrade when it becomes properly useful.

• Like x 1
  16. ianto999

ianto999 Member

I’d like to try FSD before I buy.
    I’m surprised Tesla don’t do a month’s free trial. A Referral code process could help as well?

17. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

People will vote with their wallets.

Would be nice to see what % actually bought FSD in UK

18. VanillaAir_UK

I personally find that I’m using the FSD NoA functionality every time I use AP. Maybe not the on ramp/off ramp bits but lane changing has been very good so far. So previous EAP functionality. Looking forward to some of the planned new features and continued improvements though.

19. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

They have done that sort of promotion in the past, before Model 3.

20. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Member

That FSD includes the former EAP components made it a useful add-in to our model 3.

I find auto-parking very helpful.

Navigate on autopilot (NoA) is handy, but without automated lane change it is less useful than I’d like. though it does have some weird ideas about when it needs to change lanes at times.

The rest of FSD? It’ll be interesting to see how that develops, and what we get in the UK and when. I got EAP on my Model S but did not opt for FSD as there was nothing the money bought me at the time. Not sure there’s anything yet either.

• Like x 1