Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price is going up... to WHAT PRICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Actually reading the first link it sounds like someone noticed some county code nobody actually enforced, saw a chance to grab a few bucks, began ticketing for it- and then when people were like WTF? they voided all the tickets, and now sounds like the county commissioner who didn't even know it was on the books is looking at taking it off the books?

Second link mentions "back-in parking in a campus parking garage or parking lot with angled parking" which again isn't what's actually being discussed.

Did anyone really expect it to go up today, absent anything new being released? Likely just hype to promote FSD sales. Create a panic, let the run begin, etc. However, the day is still young, and an increase could still happen, but I doubt it.

I assumed 8/16 was the last day of the discount, I would assume it goes back up tomorrow. The discount ending on a Friday makes more sense than ending mid-week on a Thursday...

Anyway, I pulled the trigger this morning...for the HW3 upgrade and beyond the price was worth it to me... have they started doing HW2 to HW3 upgrades for existing owners? Can I schedule an appointment with my local SC?

Thank you

This is one of those topics where I hate to post my opinion, because I know it's not going to be popular among the forum audience...

I have to preface this by saying I have zero regrets about buying my car. It is, by a very large margin, the finest vehicle I have ever owned. Tesla is now my car brand; I honestly don't think I'll ever buy any other marque again in my remaining years.

The only area that I'm disappointed in is the autopilot/FSD. Yes, I know it's still early in the game, but IMO, it is not nearly as far along in the development process as Mr. Musk is telling everyone. They keep saying "it's all about chasing the long tail", referring to all the digits to the right of the decimal point. And I completely agree with that. The problem is that they are no where even close to being to the first digit to the right of the decimal point. In its current state, AP/FSD is nothing more than a curiosity.. a toy to play with on the road, not even close to being a useful tool yet.

The vehicle I traded in for my Tesla was a 2016 Honda Accord with Lane Keeping Assist and Advanced Cruise Control. Man, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but the LKA and ACC worked better in that car than my Model 3 with FSD. The Honda never phantom braked, held the lane perfectly, and had far smoother braking and acceleration when following a vehicle than my Model 3. Sure, it didn't do navigate on autopilot, but the core functionality of keeping a lane and following a car with cruise control was much, much better. Just improving the core functionality of lane keeping and car following would have a positive impact on how drivers view AP/FSD, IMO.

I have no doubt that Tesla will get there, and we will eventually have the robo taxi fleet Mr. Musk talked about during the Autonomy Day presentation. But it is going to be much further down the road (please forgive the unintentional pun) than his very pie-in-the-sky timeline he gave during Autonomy day.

Still, I don't regret paying for FSD. To me, it's like backing a Kickstarter project that I believe in at this point. Mr. Musk has, for the most part, always delivered on what he says he's going to accomplish (sure, there are a few exceptions, but he's delivered on the major stuff), including producing a car which, to me, is the finest vehicle I've ever owned. If it's possible for him to produce the best car I've ever owned, is it possible for him to make it drive itself? I think so... eventually.

And honestly, the car is so fun to drive that I don't want the computer to have all the fun!

It all boils down to your opinion... Do you believe in Mr. Musks' vision? Do you think he'll be able to pull off what he says he's going to? Are you willing to help him out financially to do so? I answered yes to those questions. No, I don't think he'll pull it off according to his timeline, but we all know that Elon's space/time continuum is much different than the rest of the population of the planet.

We all have differing opinions on this, and I respect all of them. Vote your opinion with your wallet.

Now pardon me while I put on my flame suit... Be gentle, gents.. I'm old and fragile.

Good option and valid as it’s what you experience in your environment driving your car.
Anyway, I pulled the trigger this morning...for the HW3 upgrade and beyond the price was worth it to me... have they started doing HW2 to HW3 upgrades for existing owners? Can I schedule an appointment with my local SC?

Thank you

Not yet, allegedly end of year. HW3 does not do anything extra now.

I bought my FSD last night and some stock today. I believe Elon and his vision. His timeline is something to work on, but he does deliver.

Price will go up likely next week or Tesla will offer extension for those that missed.

Actually reading the first link it sounds like someone noticed some county code nobody actually enforced, saw a chance to grab a few bucks, began ticketing for it- and then when people were like WTF? they voided all the tickets, and now sounds like the county commissioner who didn't even know it was on the books is looking at taking it off the books?

Second link mentions "back-in parking in a campus parking garage or parking lot with angled parking" which again isn't what's actually being discussed.

College campus and local city ordinances are the main issues. From my perspective I like backing into a spot so there is less chance of me hitting the spoiler up against a parking curb. That said, if I am in a crowded parking lot with a line of cars behind me and am not going to pass the spot and them attempt to alert the line behind me to stay put so I can wiggle my way into the spot while holding everyone else up. I just pull forward into the spot in that situation. That is must be a tough situation when we talk about FSD and robotaxis. What happens when the car wants to backup into that spot and now you have a line of other drivers being held up? Does it just sit there and wait it out? Is it programmed to wait 60 seconds and then continue forward and look for another spot?

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-my-a...me-from-backing-my-car-into-the-parking-space

Reminder: Back-in Parking Prohibited

ASK US: Why is backing into parking spaces illegal? – Orange County Register

I can’t imagine my Tesla trying to back into a parking spot at the local Costco with all the crazy traffic moving around trying to snag a parking spot. I just don’t see it happening.

Of course not but it I would love to see how other drivers react to a fully autonomous car when it is clearly screwing up. Who do they get mad at? Do they yell at the car? Do they curse out Elon? ;)

I assumed 8/16 was the last day of the discount, I would assume it goes back up tomorrow. The discount ending on a Friday makes more sense than ending mid-week on a Thursday...
Well it is Saturday late afternoon and still shows $3k for me. I've thought about this and it doesn't make sense to jump on it due to Tesla not likely to do ANY upgrades until FSD is actually released and ANYTHING can happen to your car before that time comes.

The only way we knew that FSDwas going to go up by 1K is through Elon. Again he didn't come through. I have been a big supporter of Tesla and of Elon right from the beginning but it is starting to get very annoying al the talks and not following through. You can start calling it what it is: lies!
- " all cars shipped have FSD hardware installed.. "NOT TRUE
- "you can upgrade your MCU" NOT TRUE
- "price FSD will increase per August 16: act now" NOT TRUE

Elon is starting to be a great liability and it would be better for everyone involved if he would stop using Twitter

I am also starting to think that the whole FSD story is one big disaster. They try to keep us happy with updates containing games as if we bought an X-Box. Think of it, driving has a lot of subtleties that you cannot programe like hand gestures to fellow drivers or pedestrians, signing with your headlights to truck drivers to let them know it is OK for them to go into your lane while they want to overtake etc. Really, you can have a data base of images you want but you never get these subtleties.

Also, we humans are so much better in anticipating the situation. How many times have you encountered that the car slammed on the brake while on autopilot, because another car was crossing the street like 100 meters away - even if this was totally unnecessary because the car would have been long gone when you came to the location where the car crossed the street? We humans anticipate in these situations. Just uploading a bunch of images will not do it.

I also bought FSD. I am now already thinking how they are going to compensate because I do not believe anymore that they can deliver.

Elon was pretty clear in that the price increase of FSD was tied to Enhanced Summons being released.

It hasn't yet been released so the price remains unchanged.

I think Tesla learned from the last FSD price increase that it was a really bad idea to raise the price without having more features.

So I doubt we'll see the FSD price increase at least until the first part of September.

Now I could be completely wrong as I was wrong last time around when I swore up and down that they wouldn't raise the price from $5K to $6K without something to justify the price increase.

The only way we knew that FSDwas going to go up by 1K is through Elon. Again he didn't come through. I have been a big supporter of Tesla and of Elon right from the beginning but it is starting to get very annoying al the talks and not following through. You can start calling it what it is: lies!
- " all cars shipped have FSD hardware installed.. "NOT TRUE
- "you can upgrade your MCU" NOT TRUE
- "price FSD will increase per August 16: act now" NOT TRUE

Elon is starting to be a great liability and it would be better for everyone involved if he would stop using Twitter

I am also starting to think that the whole FSD story is one big disaster. They try to keep us happy with updates containing games as if we bought an X-Box. Think of it, driving has a lot of subtleties that you cannot programe like hand gestures to fellow drivers or pedestrians, signing with your headlights to truck drivers to let them know it is OK for them to go into your lane while they want to overtake etc. Really, you can have a data base of images you want but you never get these subtleties.

Also, we humans are so much better in anticipating the situation. How many times have you encountered that the car slammed on the brake while on autopilot, because another car was crossing the street like 100 meters away - even if this was totally unnecessary because the car would have been long gone when you came to the location where the car crossed the street? We humans anticipate in these situations. Just uploading a bunch of images will not do it.

I also bought FSD. I am now already thinking how they are going to compensate because I do not believe anymore that they can deliver.

Did you see this article last month?
Tesla Revamps Autopilot Team amid Pressure to Deliver on Elon Musk’s Promises

You lose a lot of momentum when your dev team falls apart. I love the vision and passion but this is going to take a while. No worries, Teslas are fun to drive yourself anyway. ;)

Elon was pretty clear in that the price increase of FSD was tied to Enhanced Summons being released.

It hasn't yet been released so the price remains unchanged.

I think Tesla learned from the last FSD price increase that it was a really bad idea to raise the price without having more features.

So I doubt we'll see the FSD price increase at least until the first part of September.

Now I could be completely wrong as I was wrong last time around when I swore up and down that they wouldn't raise the price from $5K to $6K without something to justify the price increase.

Remember when it went to $8k for a little while and then it magically went back to $6k. I wonder what the take rate is on FSD anyway? Any stats published anywhere? Now that basic AP is included with the car I bet the take rate for FSD is 30% or less at the moment.

So, the car is constantly getting cheaper, but FSD is going to go up in price? Maybe in the short-term, but I think in the long-term, the downward pressure, will make FSD cheaper, too.

Either way, I'd rather put my $3000 in the stock market, than in something that isn't here yet. By the time FSD actually comes, maybe my investment will have grown faster than Elon has raised the FSD price.

Reactions: Bill Foster