TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by WilliamG, Jul 16, 2019.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

2. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Still being swindled, but being swindled out of less of your hard-earned money in exchange for promises and vaporware.

As a benefit.

Thanks, Elon.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Rojer Lockless

Sweet another month

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. run-the-joules

I wouldn't make any plans based on that.

• Like x 2
  5. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

I'm happy that Tesla is doing financially well enough that they no longer need to have software sales to raise a bit of cash, but on the other hand I was really hoping for a small FSD discount.

$7,000 is pretty much the point at which I'm left thinking that I may never end up purchasing it. If Elon is planning a $1,000 increase each month, the price of FSD is pretty much keeping pace with my savings account.

Customer service did tell me they're planning on bringing the FSD trial back at some point in the future. I wonder if they might offer something like a $500 discount during the trial.

• Like x 2
  6. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

It’s not worth $6K, so it’s definitely not worth $7K. I’ll be surprised if they sell many of them at that price.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
  7. turnem

turnem Member

As soon as they've got true FSD up and running they'll sell plenty of those packages. But we all know the first iteration of FSD is going to be pretty bad so it will be a while before they've got something that most people will want to buy.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. davewill

davewill Active Member

Whatever the hell that really means...

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Octo

Octo Member

According to Musk, it’ll go up ~$1000.

Maybe it means ~=- and it’ll cost $6000~$1000 = $5000?

LOL, as much as I like my car, that dude simply has no credibility. I’m not sure if he is a net positive to Tesla. What comes out of his mouth is borderline fraudulent and has been proven many times to be utter BS.

• Like x 3
  10. turnem

turnem Member

True. Very true.

I guess my own self-defined version is stoplight/stopsign recognition and handling turns at intersections for me. Basically - point to point navigation on surface streets with hands on steering wheel required but the car handles everything with little intervention.

11. GenoM3P

GenoM3P Member

I'm out. Couldn't raise the $3k quick enough before it doubled. No way I can do $7k. Tough being a poor working stiff. Thanks Elon. The rich get richer.

Geno

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  12. run-the-joules

You're letting 'em off light.

upload_2019-7-16_14-8-9.png

That's the description that I checked the box and paid $3k for. That's what I expect.

• Like x 2
  13. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

All current and future planned features aside, I think if Tesla achieves the bare meaning of Full Self-Driving (a car driving without a human) it will sell like hotcakes.

Regardless of the price in the future, if I can sleep safely while the car drives to the destination, or if my car can drop me off or pick me up from work, it would pay for itself in hotel bills, parking costs, and train tickets.

I'm paying almost $250 per month for two people to commute to downtown DC via metro. If a FSD commute could reduce that to $50 a month it could pay for itself in just over 2 years.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. mickle

mickle Member

I was waiting for the price to drop to maybe $3K. At $7K no way I would every buy it for personal use. They really need to offer a pay-per-mile service, maybe I'd use it a dozen times a year.

15. acarney

acarney Member

I was thinking of that too. It might be great for city guys that run the same route every day, but if I'm just planning a week long vacation and want it to navigate me a couple hundred miles on the highway and then around the city for a few days it would be nice to just get a day pass. At $7k that's roughly $20/day for a year. So Musk could price that at maybe $50/day and certainly wouldn't lose anyone that lived in a city and used it daily. Even if someone used it twice a week that would be $5k in the first year, so he probably wouldn't lose those people either. This would really capture the twice a month or less type of people. Twice a month would be $1200 a year... i could probably budget that, especially if I knew it would be almost 6 years before I was paying MORE than the $7k one off price.

What I'm curious about is if we'll see any improvements to standard AP over time as he rolls out FSD. If he really does have FSD working on city streets this fall and traffic light awareness, then will we maybe see turn signal initiated lane change on the highway for AP? Or auto passing with the traffic aware cruise control if you have someone slow ahead of you in your lane? Or have we reached feature finish on standard AP? The other guys will catch up in two or three years, some systems are starting to get close...

I'm also curious what else can be added to the car to help actually deliver on the "more feature OTA updates" that the premium trim gets. Does that mean you just get more fart noises before others? Or will we see many more improvements and features to AP and things like dog mode/sentry?

• Helpful x 1
  16. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Park seek mode lol.

The car being able to handle intersections and stop signs is one thing. And will be good progress.

But I’m looking most forward to, and expecting to one day get, Park Seek (and its cousin Total Summon). Those have to be at least 5+ years out.

17. RC2785

RC2785 Member

Imagine how much it will go up by when robo taxi comes out...

• Funny x 1
  18. zyzz

zyzz Member

with all due respect to elon, this is bullshit to sell more FSD

FSD is intangible and not even what its supposed to be - you're basically giving tesla a loan

• Like x 3
  19. run-the-joules

An open-ended loan, without interest.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

If you have legacy Enhanced AP, then yes, absolutely a loan for vaporware.

If you don't, then you are getting something for your money (obviously nothing close to FSD but still...). Summon (soon to be Enhanced/Advanced Summon), NoA, Autopark, Auto lane change....

• Like x 1