Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy that Tesla is doing financially well enough that they no longer need to have software sales to raise a bit of cash, but on the other hand I was really hoping for a small FSD discount.

$7,000 is pretty much the point at which I'm left thinking that I may never end up purchasing it. If Elon is planning a $1,000 increase each month, the price of FSD is pretty much keeping pace with my savings account.

Customer service did tell me they're planning on bringing the FSD trial back at some point in the future. I wonder if they might offer something like a $500 discount during the trial.

It’s not worth $6K, so it’s definitely not worth $7K. I’ll be surprised if they sell many of them at that price.
As soon as they've got true FSD up and running they'll sell plenty of those packages. But we all know the first iteration of FSD is going to be pretty bad so it will be a while before they've got something that most people will want to buy.

True. Very true.

I guess my own self-defined version is stoplight/stopsign recognition and handling turns at intersections for me. Basically - point to point navigation on surface streets with hands on steering wheel required but the car handles everything with little intervention.

You're letting 'em off light.

upload_2019-7-16_14-8-9.png

That's the description that I checked the box and paid $3k for. That's what I expect.

Whatever the hell that really means...

All current and future planned features aside, I think if Tesla achieves the bare meaning of Full Self-Driving (a car driving without a human) it will sell like hotcakes.

Regardless of the price in the future, if I can sleep safely while the car drives to the destination, or if my car can drop me off or pick me up from work, it would pay for itself in hotel bills, parking costs, and train tickets.

I'm paying almost $250 per month for two people to commute to downtown DC via metro. If a FSD commute could reduce that to $50 a month it could pay for itself in just over 2 years.

I was waiting for the price to drop to maybe $3K. At $7K no way I would every buy it for personal use. They really need to offer a pay-per-mile service, maybe I'd use it a dozen times a year.

I was thinking of that too. It might be great for city guys that run the same route every day, but if I'm just planning a week long vacation and want it to navigate me a couple hundred miles on the highway and then around the city for a few days it would be nice to just get a day pass. At $7k that's roughly $20/day for a year. So Musk could price that at maybe $50/day and certainly wouldn't lose anyone that lived in a city and used it daily. Even if someone used it twice a week that would be $5k in the first year, so he probably wouldn't lose those people either. This would really capture the twice a month or less type of people. Twice a month would be $1200 a year... i could probably budget that, especially if I knew it would be almost 6 years before I was paying MORE than the $7k one off price.

What I'm curious about is if we'll see any improvements to standard AP over time as he rolls out FSD. If he really does have FSD working on city streets this fall and traffic light awareness, then will we maybe see turn signal initiated lane change on the highway for AP? Or auto passing with the traffic aware cruise control if you have someone slow ahead of you in your lane? Or have we reached feature finish on standard AP? The other guys will catch up in two or three years, some systems are starting to get close...

I'm also curious what else can be added to the car to help actually deliver on the "more feature OTA updates" that the premium trim gets. Does that mean you just get more fart noises before others? Or will we see many more improvements and features to AP and things like dog mode/sentry?

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Park seek mode lol.

The car being able to handle intersections and stop signs is one thing. And will be good progress.

But I’m looking most forward to, and expecting to one day get, Park Seek (and its cousin Total Summon). Those have to be at least 5+ years out.

with all due respect to elon, this is bullshit to sell more FSD

FSD is intangible and not even what its supposed to be - you're basically giving tesla a loan

If you have legacy Enhanced AP, then yes, absolutely a loan for vaporware.

If you don't, then you are getting something for your money (obviously nothing close to FSD but still...). Summon (soon to be Enhanced/Advanced Summon), NoA, Autopark, Auto lane change....

Reactions: MXWing