Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD pricing confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So apparently the price of FSD will go up by 2k soon. I heard it was monday, then it's gonna be thurs? Firstly, do we know when the price increase will happen?

Second, that will make the price 10k for those upgrading from autopilot. But what about people upgrading from enhanced autopilot which they already paid 4k for? Currently the additional price is 5k. Will the new price be 7k or 6k?

Tesla is really going to the well with these "fear of missing out" "hurry up and buy this thing that doesn't exist yet" tactics and it's really making me hope the have some competition by the time I buy my next car.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Price goes up Thursday. There was never a secret that the price would go up as it nears completion. You could have bought anytime you liked or not. As value increases so does price. Simple business

How is the value of a promise increasing? It's more like a gamble where the odds got better. I mean are they going to give everyone their money back if they can't get past regulators? Also still a mystery what upgrading from EAP will cost?

Last edited:
The newer Elon tweet is Thursday, so I'd assume it will happen then.

The move is interesting - not sure why that happened unless Tesla is planning to pair the price increase with some other event (firmware rollout to the fleet? New hardware on new cars? Other announcement?) that got delayed.

I'd guess a $2k increase for all the variations, but it's a guess. We'll see.

Price goes up Thursday. There was never a secret that the price would go up as it nears completion. You could have bought anytime you liked or not. As value increases so does price. Simple business

The value argument is you can stop paying salary, benefits, tax expenses for your worker (in this case a driver) because the car will become FSD or driverless, then that $10,000 is peanut.

The problem is: If I pay $10,000, I still have the same salary expenses (because the car still can't drive on its own just yet) and make my business bottom line worse.

The value argument is you can stop paying salary, benefits, tax expenses for your worker (in this case a driver) because the car will become FSD or driverless, then that $10,000 is peanut.

The problem is: If I pay $10,000, I still have the same salary expenses (because the car still can't drive on its own just yet) and make my business bottom line worse.

we are a long way (years) from that value proposition being realized...

The newer Elon tweet is Thursday, so I'd assume it will happen then.

The move is interesting - not sure why that happened unless Tesla is planning to pair the price increase with some other event (firmware rollout to the fleet? New hardware on new cars? Other announcement?) that got delayed.

I'd guess a $2k increase for all the variations, but it's a guess. We'll see.

Elon tied the price increase to the release of FSD beta.

Screenshot_2020-10-26 Elon Musk on Twitter(1).png

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha

View attachment 602520

Yeah, sorta.

That tweet came out after the limited beta started for the lucky few, and named a later date - which was then moved a few days out by another tweet a couple days later.

That shift is the part I’m speculating about. Nothing external changed in those couple days to suggest waiting a few days would be better, so why did Elon change the date?

It might be something internal to Tesla that we’ll never know about, but it’s more interesting to speculate about what else might drive the change...

Yeah, sorta.

That tweet came out after the limited beta started for the lucky few, and named a later date - which was then moved a few days out by another tweet a couple days later.

That shift is the part I’m speculating about. Nothing external changed in those couple days to suggest waiting a few days would be better, so why did Elon change the date?

It might be something internal to Tesla that we’ll never know about, but it’s more interesting to speculate about what else might drive the change...

We don't have to speculate about that either.

Elon moved the date for the price increase back by three days (Monday to Thursday) after someone on Twitter suggested owners/buyers might need a little more time to decide what to do. He again emphasized that the price increase was tied to FSD beta release.

Screenshot_2020-10-26 from elonmusk how much - Twitter Search Twitter.png
Screenshot_2020-10-26 Elon Musk on Twitter(2).png

• Helpful
Reactions: Klau2 and Saghost
We don't have to speculate about that either.

Elon moved the date for the price increase back by three days (Monday to Thursday) after someone on Twitter suggested owners/buyers might need a little more time to decide what to do. He again emphasized that the price increase was tied to FSD beta release.

View attachment 602551 View attachment 602552

I hadn’t seen that intermediate reply in the couple posts/articles about the date change I saw.

I guess it’s good that Tesla is listening to people, but I was hoping it would be something more interesting, like opening FSD up to volunteers from the general fleet, maybe. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV

That doesn't make sense either: After paying the $2,000 increase for the new price of $10,000, most likely, all of the newly paid customers won't get the release any time soon. That's because the release is only for a limited number of "expert, careful" drivers.

When people pay, they expect something in return and in this case, they don't even get a promise of when they will get the release.

Reactions: frankvb
Fine increase the price but guarantee features by a certain date by offering a refund they can't deliver. Currently this purchase is literally a gamble and nothing else. you are not buying anything but a promise that is not backed up by any guarantee.

That makes much more sense.

Usually, a beta product is free because of the uncertainty.

Tesla sells it as if you'll run up the profit so much by running 10 robotaxis at the same time but it does not guarantee a refund if the system won't do driverless and it does not promise when will I be able to collect ride-hailing fares with the driverless system.

It's an uncertain gamble, not a guaranteed product, not a guaranteed refund.

As a consumer, it's not prudent to pay for something that's not guaranteed. At least when the car comes in with the wrong specifications like unmatched doors, Tesla would guarantee to make it right:

Dkq4vQtU8AAYPU5

There's no guarantee with the FSD $10,000 if it won't achieve the specification of L5, driverless, Autonomy, and if it won't make me lots of revenues with Robotaxi (because of the inability to achieve Autonomy).

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense either: After paying the $2,000 increase for the new price of $10,000, most likely, all of the newly paid customers won't get the release any time soon. That's because the release is only for a limited number of "expert, careful" drivers.

When people pay, they expect something in return and in this case, they don't even get a promise of when they will get the release.

Elon has made clear that the price would go up as the capabilities increase. With videos all over the place, customers have a pretty good idea of what's coming to their car. If they aren't convinced it will come soon enough, they can wait and pay an extra $1000 to add it later, and risk the price going up again, which it very likely will.

From Tesla's perspective, they are offering the software at a significant discount to its value in the coming years. If customers don't want the software or don't want to take that discount and wait until it is more developed, they can, but they should recognize they may end up paying a higher price. If customers wait for the monthly subscription, it's very likely to cost more in the long run.

Bottom line: complaints aside, with rare exceptions waiting to add FSD has cost people money. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

• Love
Reactions: BDC62
Elon has made clear that the price would go up as the capabilities increase. With videos all over the place, customers have a pretty good idea of what's coming to their car. If they aren't convinced it will come soon enough, they can wait and pay an extra $1000 to add it later, and risk the price going up again, which it very likely will.

From Tesla's perspective, they are offering the software at a significant discount to its value in the coming years. If customers don't want the software or don't want to take that discount and wait until it is more developed, they can, but they should recognize they may end up paying a higher price. If customers wait for the monthly subscription, it's very likely to cost more in the long run.

Bottom line: complaints aside, with rare exceptions waiting to add FSD has cost people money. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.
What are you talking about, I can’t wait to start making thousands of dollars by the end of the year. I don’t have any reason to not trust Elon, not like he has ever been wrong

Reactions: masotime