Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD purchased with vehicle or post delivery - does it matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably reasonable to assume that without the EAP autopilot is just a smarter cruise control. That's how I'd see it. Cruise control with suggestions. I'd probably go so far as to disable lane change suggestions. So AP really is just adaptive cruise control. Getting a half baked AP / lane suggestion where you have to disengage AP then re-engage would probably be ok when used to it, but as I'll be getting EAP anyway for the drive summon / double tap park features, and auto park, it's probably worth it, especially if the mrs nabs it.. i'll be comforted that she can reverse park by pushing one button (lol).
I had automatic reverse parking in my 65 reg Mondeo hybrid. worked like a charm as it is quite big cow then... and used it quite a lot.
then moved to 3 series (g20) and although I had the system, it was super rate occasion when I used it. probably like 3 times in 2 years.

not that 10 cm of make much difference (that's what she said...), but I just realized that rear view camera is more than enough for really comfortable parking.

having said that - there' a chance I will purchase upgrade for AP before the Power Booster upgrade :D

I had automatic reverse parking in my 65 reg Mondeo hybrid. worked like a charm as it is quite big cow then... and used it quite a lot.
then moved to 3 series (g20) and although I had the system, it was super rate occasion when I used it. probably like 3 times in 2 years.

not that 10 cm of make much difference (that's what she said...), but I just realized that rear view camera is more than enough for really comfortable parking.

having said that - there' a chance I will purchase upgrade for AP before the Power Booster upgrade :D
When I test drove the M3, I had the mrs in the car with me, and as I pulled back up to the Tesla center, I chucked it in reverse, and the parking popped up on screen, I'm like.... oh hello!? What's this? i pushed the blue button and the steering went tight, and it made a sterling job of parking almost exact center of the two cars. I looked at the mrs and said, EVEN YOU COULD PARK THIS THING! (which she looked at me unamused), but amazed the car did it...

Full self drive not a chance, but I think all things considered the EAP adds a lot of features for me that make sense. Drive way smart summon, effortless parking for the mrs, helpful aid on motorway journeys etc. It just makes sense for me. I totally get why it's not needed though. I'm going from a mid 90s Vauxhall to a 2022 Tesla Model 3... I need it to feel like KITT from my childhood 😁

• Funny
Reactions: IbroSaunks
It's probably reasonable to assume that without the EAP autopilot is just a smarter cruise control. That's how I'd see it. Cruise control with suggestions. I'd probably go so far as to disable lane change suggestions. So AP really is just adaptive cruise control. Getting a half baked AP / lane suggestion where you have to disengage AP then re-engage would probably be ok when used to it, but as I'll be getting EAP anyway for the drive summon / double tap park features, and auto park, it's probably worth it, especially if the mrs nabs it.. i'll be comforted that she can reverse park by pushing one button (lol).
Yeah, but it's not the auto-lane change I'm bothered about. If you have to confirm it each time in the UK anyway, then I don't see it's a massively useful feature. What I'm bothered about is that manual lane changes with AutoPilot turned on seem to be handled in a clunky way in the Tesla, so I'm wondering whether EAP may be my only way out of having to live with that.

As I understand it, here's the process of manually changing lanes with Basic AutoPilot in the Tesla, compared with my VW ID.3 -

Tesla M3 without EAP
  1. Indicate.
  2. Steer. The steering turns off AutoPilot.
  3. When in lane, pull the right stalk down twice to turn AutoPilot back on.
VW ID.3
  1. Indicate. This temporarily turns off lane-keeping.
  2. Steer.
  3. When in lane, lane-keeping turns itself back on automatically.
So, in the Tesla you have to indicate, steer, pull the right stalk down twice: a 3-step process to change lanes. In the VW you have to indicate, steer, and nothing else: a 2-step process to change lanes.

This may not sound like a big deal, but changing lanes is something you could be doing near-continuously on a busy motorway, so I reckon having to reengage AutoPilot myself each time will be annoying.

But again, I could be understanding this wrong from videos, so if I'm wrong current owners please correct me!

This may not sound like a big deal, but changing lanes is something you could be doing near-continuously on a busy motorway, so I reckon having to reengage AutoPilot myself each time will be annoying.
nah. if it's at least 3 lane - sit in middle and middlefinger everyone :D if 4 - sit in 3rd lane. doing 72 mph you are faster than most left lanes anyway

I purchased EAP mainly to avoid having to re-engage AP every time I change lanes. I found it annoying.

Now I just signal when I want to change lanes and it gets on with it. Assume it is also a safety feature. Note it requires some weight on the steering wheel too, i.e. have recently felt some resistance. My rested hand does the trick, as it does with generall AP.

I don't find the lane change suggestions that useful. It has an adversion to traffic cones, possibly a good thing, but they are everywhere in the UK.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
I purchased EAP mainly to avoid having to re-engage AP every time I change lanes. I found it annoying.

Now I just signal when I want to change lanes and it gets on with it. Assume it is also a safety feature.

I don't find the lane change suggestions that useful. It has an adversion to traffic cones, possibly a good thing, but they are everywhere in the UK.
Aha, thanks! This basically confirms what I’m thinking from videos I’ve watched. I think I too will be tempted to get EAP so I don’t have to reengage AutoPilot after each lane change.

If anything else like parking does end up working and brings me joy, that’ll be a bonus.

Reactions: Snowy77
Aha, thanks! This basically confirms what I’m thinking from videos I’ve watched. I think I too will be tempted to get EAP so I don’t have to reengage AutoPilot after each lane change.

If anything else like parking does end up working and brings me joy, that’ll be a bonus.
Yeah yet to try parking. I did use summon to move the car a little forward, but it was questionable if it was quicker than just getting in and driving it.

I think most drivers drive a little to the right of the lane, something that will change over time. But at first, every time you engage AP it steers in to the middle, that was also annoying combined with manual lane changes.

ahaha YES, it was something I was cynical about. Until we tested it. I asked in local community group if anyone had a Tesla with auto park to test...

Slightly off topic but @Snowy77 you mentioned a local community group, is this London wide or more local (borough or postcode!). I’d be keen to connect with other Tesla owners in London if you can share the group details. I’m outer London though, east, but have enough range to get anywhere in London :)

My two pence on the original FSD question, I recently bought a used Tesla from their site with EAP. It’s been ok so far but not used it extensively. The auto steer went into a kerb and dinged and alloy unfortunately but I shouldn’t have been using it on local roads probably. Was very early in ownership and saw the auto steer sign come up so thought it’s ok to use. I know now. I’m tempted to buy FSD, mainly because I’d like the AP computer upgraded in my car from 2.0 to 3.0 so I can use sentry mode and dashcam access. This is a used MS owner’s issue though and not one you’ll face with a brand new M3! Future upgrades to hardware (if Tesla are generous) sounds good too, another thing that’s tempting me.

Slightly off topic but @Snowy77 you mentioned a local community group, is this London wide or more local (borough or postcode!). I’d be keen to connect with other Tesla owners in London if you can share the group details. I’m outer London though, east, but have enough range to get anywhere in London :)
No worries! It's a great site! It's through 'next door'. Link below for you.

Reactions: AA 75D
I’m waiting for a MYP and decided to go all out with FSD included also.
I know everyone says it’s rubbish but I plan to keep the car for a long time and am really investing in what it will be able to do in 2026 rather than 2022.
The rate that it is improving from the beta in the USA is pretty amazing and the UK gov will be changing the rules for what is allowed and not allowed in the near future so it’s a bit of a gamble but I’m pretty sure it will pay off in the long run

Saw few videos where people had a trial of EAP, can’t remember whether it was a week or so. Does this still happen to current owners? Anyone had trial notification recently?

Also I understand that you get 24hrs to cancel if not happy with it. Am I right?

I’m waiting for a MYP and decided to go all out with FSD included also.
I know everyone says it’s rubbish but I plan to keep the car for a long time and am really investing in what it will be able to do in 2026 rather than 2022.
The rate that it is improving from the beta in the USA is pretty amazing and the UK gov will be changing the rules for what is allowed and not allowed in the near future so it’s a bit of a gamble but I’m pretty sure it will pay off in the long run
I can't see why you want to buy it now, why not buy it when they've got it working ? I went for test drive in 2016, and it was supposed to be a year away. The vid's from American freeways and the deserted back streets of LA don't really prove a lot for me.

Saw few videos where people had a trial of EAP, can’t remember whether it was a week or so. Does this still happen to current owners? Anyone had trial notification recently?

Also I understand that you get 24hrs to cancel if not happy with it. Am I right?
The refund works with acceleration boost, but I am not sure about EAP.

No recent trials.

I can't see why you want to buy it now, why not buy it when they've got it working ? I went for test drive in 2016, and it was supposed to be a year away. The vid's from American freeways and the deserted back streets of LA don't really prove a lot for me.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about buying FSD after it is proven to offer benefit in the UK, there are plenty of recent videos of FSD beta being used in downtown US cities quite successfully, with the odd disengagement. Try watching some of the Tesla Daily ones on YouTube for example.

Reactions: Bobby_Dazzler
How does GAP insurance work if you buy EAP/FSD? if you buy ‘return to invoice’ and buy FSD/EAP at point of sale, I assume gap will cover that (and the premium will account for the increased price of the vehicle). But if you buy EAP/FSD as an upgrade after taking delivery, I guess that will be ignored in any GAP settlement. Likewise with new for old if you buy afterwards? Can you insure that separately somehow?

It's a new auto park using the cameras instead of the proximity sensors now I believe... seen plenty of fail videos of it on YouTube but not many successful ones! Still, you'd expect Tesla to improve it over time.

Autopark would be the clincher for me to get EAP if I believed it would work in reality. But I know that the biggest difficulty with parallel parking in busy towns is doing everything you can to make it clear to the car behind that you're planning to park so they should give you space to do it. All manner of slowing, and clearly indicating your intentions doesn't seem to work with people most of the time. I'm not convinced that adding in delays while you trigger the autopark on the screen and for the car to start manoeuvring is going to help.

I may still get the EAP for the lane changing though. But only because from videos I've seen it looks like to change lanes without it you have to disengage AutoPilot then manually reengage it every time you do a lane change otherwise which I reckon would annoy me. On the VW ID.3 I'm selling I think they have it set up much better. When you indicate to change lanes, the lane-keeping briefly turns off to let you do it but then automatically reengages after you've completed the change.

Of course, I could be wrong about the way the Tesla works, I'm just getting this from trying to figure out what's happening in videos.

it deactivates AP for you when you indicate (but keeps cruise on), so when you’ve finished your lane change you only have to re-enable it. So some additional action (and bonging) but not too bad