Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD purchased with vehicle or post delivery - does it matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the bits about, and don't drive east in the morning sun if you want to overtake, or west in the afternoon sun if you want to move back into the non overtaking lanes. And make sure you get the car nice and warm ages before you need to drive (and even then will probably not fix things) to get rid of the condensation in the side camera housings which, along with the low sun, will prevent auto lane changes. Oh, and just don't expect auto lane change to work in November.
Those things sound annoying, but it’s not as if I’ll forget how to change lanes myself if I need to 🙂 The camera on my VW ID.3 would sometimes get blinded and things, and I’d get warnings that driver assistance features were temporarily disabled when it did. Not the end of the world.

You missed the bits about, and don't drive east in the morning sun if you want to overtake, or west in the afternoon sun if you want to move back into the non overtaking lanes. And make sure you get the car nice and warm ages before you need to drive (and even then will probably not fix things) to get rid of the condensation in the side camera housings which, along with the low sun, will prevent auto lane changes. Oh, and just don't expect auto lane change to work in November.
That's the weird bit, we all seem to have different experiences. I've done 2.2k miles since I purchased EAP and only once did I get condensation issues and that was due to not preconditioning. I hear earlier cars had more issues and the more recent ones fire some air con at the side cameras.

In that time it's always works, I've had numerous mild phantom breaks and 2 lane changes cancelled on me. Nothing concerning. I've changed many many times into the middle lane alongside a lorry with no issue (but always been ready after reading here)

I'm not invalidating other people's experiences, but can only state my own.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
I've not had much trouble with phantom braking but fogging happens frequently making AP unusable for the first half an hour many days in winter. 'By design' is tesla's response to that.

Others can barely go down the road it seems without some kind of braking incident and wouldn't use AP if they were paid.. with good reason if it's behaving like that.

I stopped it cancelling lane changes and swerving by never using that on a busy road. Cars around you freak it out completely. Great when it's quiet.

Given the software is the same, it's variation in build quality (and probably parts used, different manufacturers etc.) We're seeing the indicator fault now with the V11 cameras.. that Tesla knew about (why else change the design) and must have been affecting AP performance.

The complaints the keep on going about just how bad EAP/FSD must be, keep your money, horrible in sunlight, mist, rain, etc., etc. It's just weird.
Yes, I'm in the U.S., anything goes. But, really: It's not that bad.
OK: Yes, if it goes from light misting to super heavy rain where one can't see one's hands in front of one's face: Initially, when it goes from light rain to the heavier stuff, you lose the dark blue autonav line down the middle of the lane, the car boops, and one gets just the autosteer. It has to rain a heck of a lot harder, until the point is reached when even the local human is having trouble seeing the lane stripes, that it boops again and tells one to take over driving entirely. And as the downpour lets up, first the lanekeeping kicks back into gear; then, eventually, the autonav heavy blue line reappears, both with their boops.
But a little mist doesn't do any of that. Heavy, can't see your hand in front of one's face fog can, but 100-yards-fog isn't a problem. So, if you can see the cars in front of you and the stripes on the lanes, so can the car; if you can't, neither can the car.
I mean, I've driven hundreds of miles in light rain without the car freaking out, somewhat heavier rain with the occasional loss of autonav, and some few miles (or less) where both are iffy. And this is my daily driver, it's got 40k miles on it now.
As far as sunlight and all: Well, the front-facing camera I've never had issues with. The side, pillar camera can get zonked with an angle on the sunlight that shines down the boresight, if you know what I mean. When that was happening, I was going more-or-less due west on I-78 in NJ with the sun relatively low on the horizon. As the road curved back and forth slightly the issue would pop up and I'd have to drive, then it would clear. And that whole episode: Once, in three years of driving around, for about fifteen minutes.
Now, while having paid for the full FSD package, I'm not driving about with the full-bore beta package. Those guys, who are in the beta package, are having fun driving about in snowstorms. Successfully. What I have is a slightly more advanced version of EAP, that knows about stop signs, stop lights, speed limit signs, and can, with a little assist (I don't let it do it on its own) change lanes. But marching down the middle of a road lane, I thought you guys had that, too.
What is it? Your version is stuck in 2019 or something? Mine's on 2022.4 at the moment.

Reactions: HeatherW22 and Algy
Yes, I'm in the U.S., anything goes. ....
I think this might be the difference between what you see and what we see in the UK and hence why most of the European posters have a different vision to yours.

Because there are different regulations at play many of the functions that you are allowed in the US are not permitted in Europe. This is not just on the FSD, but also on the EAP too. With the software so crippled it changes the pricing/value dynamics.

By way of example of the vast differences and our different vision - they made your vehicle with the steering wheel in front of the passenger seat instead of the driver's seat. I would never buy a car as badly built like that in the UK market ;)

…notwithstanding that in the U.K., summon only works when you are standing right next to the car! That makes it little more than an entertaining party trick. …and smart summon. Don’t even ask!
there are also some bugs in the sat nav for roundabouts. Voice says take third exit, visual shows 1st exit. Must be a throwback from driving on the right and part of the system is counting turns going the wrong way round.
Even on NoA, there is constant desire for the car to be in the fast lane even if the traffic in the slow lane is at or above the speed limit. It’s a completely pointless manoeuvre!
There is much work to be done still to get FSD right in the US. The U.K. will be whole different ball game. God help the software team when they move on to India!

Reactions: Bernard_S
…notwithstanding that in the U.K., summon only works when you are standing right next to the car! That makes it little more than an entertaining party trick. …and smart summon. Don’t even ask!
there are also some bugs in the sat nav for roundabouts. Voice says take third exit, visual shows 1st exit. Must be a throwback from driving on the right and part of the system is counting turns going the wrong way round.
Even on NoA, there is constant desire for the car to be in the fast lane even if the traffic in the slow lane is at or above the speed limit. It’s a completely pointless manoeuvre!
There is much work to be done still to get FSD right in the US. The U.K. will be whole different ball game. God help the software team when they move on to India!
Or Italy !!!!

Does anyone know if Tesla Insurance covers the cost of FSD? My insurance company will not cover FSD so I am switching to Tesla Insurance. One would hope that Tesla Insurance covers FSD but I am not sure.
In the U.K., in the event of a write off after the first year, insurance normally pays out the market value of a vehicle. Since FSD adds nothing to the market value of a second hand Tesla so far as I can see, whether the insurance ‘covers’ FSD would seem to be irrelevant. In the first year they will normally pay what you paid so I think all options would be covered.