Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Question - Other cars drifting into your lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run FSD 100% daily on freeways. I drive 15 miles on the freeway each way to and from work, and I typically intervene the FSD at least 2 times daily. One of my the most common interventions is when an 18 wheeler, van, or another car unintentionally drift onto the lane markers toward my lane. Though the other driver will eventually correct themselves one way or another, I'm always concern how the FSD will respond. Will it brake, slow down, stay centered, drift away, sound warnings, etc? I always take over and never let the car decide what to do in this situation. Does anyone have this experience or maybe it's just my fear?

AFAIK the car will move away from them but only as far as the opposite edge of the lane the car is in.

It's been a good while since I'd had it happen though... I believe at the time the car only used the ultrasonic sensors for this so they had to get within what like 24 inches before it moved...

But given a complete re-write of the code is coming later this year behavior is likely going to be different soon anyway.

If a vehicle intrudes into your lane well in front of you AP will slow down. But it doesn't recognize the problem before that. Hopefully the real FSD (which is not what we have now) will do better.

There are a few videos of Teslas avoiding encroaching trucks by moving over, but that hasn't seemed to be a consistent behavior.

I do the same exact thing. Damn texters. It seems like hardly anyone stays in their own lane anymore.

I'm curious how the car would react, but life is short and I'm not willing to experiment.
I don't text, but I've found that since getting FSD that the car drives much better than I do. I never realized before how sloppy my driving was :-(