Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Recent Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This last weekend I drove 14 hours roundtrip, mostly on the freeway. I had a very mixed experience with FSD and I question whether others have shared experiences. This is the first time my car has done this. I would go into FSD and I would nudge the steering wheel when requested and the red steering wheel warning would flash onto the screen warning me to take control of the wheel as the FSD had aborted.(Not sure of exact wording.) This happened numerous times. There was one instance of an abrupt braking for no apparent reason. I am not sure if this would have occurred had there been someone right behind me but... I do know others have mentioned this but this was pretty bad at speed. I have had pretty solid experience with FSD prior to this but this was something different. Recent update? Anyone??

I recently have gotten several FSD aborted for no reason. Besides the blaring alarms, I notice the message at the bottom says Take Control Immediately, System Error. I created a service request for this issue, and was told it was a known software issue that would be fixed with some later version. This seems to be the standard answer. I just hope Tesla Central gets these "incidents" so they are actually working on them. I think Tesla Central sometimes is not made aware, or doesn't care of this trivial reporting by actual customers. If they did, you'd think we would be notified thru automation when the "bug" I report is allegedly fixed.

I recently have gotten several FSD aborted for no reason. Besides the blaring alarms, I notice the message at the bottom says Take Control Immediately, System Error. I created a service request for this issue, and was told it was a known software issue that would be fixed with some later version. This seems to be the standard answer. I just hope Tesla Central gets these "incidents" so they are actually working on them. I think Tesla Central sometimes is not made aware, or doesn't care of this trivial reporting by actual customers. If they did, you'd think we would be notified thru automation when the "bug" I report is allegedly fixed.
Yes. I received the system error several times.

This problem comes and goes. I have confirmed only one definite trigger: make sure you have not overridden the headlights option from "auto."
With headlights set to "off," FSD will engage and function. However, it will trigger the error you have described during the trip (I guess when it decides it wants lights and the setting prevents activation).

Interesting. I have my auto headlights turned off because they keep flashing oncoming cars. On the other hand, my System Error occurs during the day when the lights should not be on anyway -- although the error may be caused by the auto headlights being turned off as you suggest.

The new update on FSD seems to have its pros and cons. Personally I don’t like how it tries to drive in the “middle” of the lane which is often too far to the right and close to parked cars. On the freeway FSD shines and navigates well. It even avoided a small obstruction in the lane. The turning on streets and intersections is awkward and slow

Reactions: DerbyDave
My software on my Jan 2023 YLR is FSD beta v11.3.6 I've had FSD Beta about 2 weeks. I took a trip last weekend where I was on a winding two lane highway with clear markings and FSD behaved very poorly. The two extremities of the two lanes were clear white solid lines. In the middle of the road were slightly less bold ( but still clear to me) yellow markings that I thought were pretty standard. At places on this winding road you would have two yellow lines in the middle of the road with one line solid and the other line dashed - meaning cars on the dashed line side had adequate visibility to pass a vehicle ahead of them moving in the same direction if they saw no vehicle ahead in the oncoming lane, whereas vehicles on the side of the road with the solid yellow line were advised that even if they could not see an oncoming vehicle they were advised not to try to pass. To me this road marking standard has existed for decades and decades. Yet my FSD Beta repeatedly made a really nutty interpretation of the road, steering me right toward the lane of oncoming traffic - where there were in fact no cars. I assume it would not do so had cars been visibly coming in the oncoming lane. I took control of the car myself when our car surged over the middle lines so I can't be sure if it just wanted to be in the middle of the road or if it wanted to be in the other lane. When there was only a single yellow line in the middle of the road or there were two solid yellow lines in the middle of the road FSD seemed willing to stay properly in its lane. WE experienced lots of deficiencies with FSD, but this to me was clearly the worst. The very first deficiencies I saw were dealing with intersections in my home town that had highly non-standard markings. I have every sympathy with FSD developers trying to contend with local traffic engineers who don't adhere to standards and make "improvements" of their own. On the other hand, inability to reliably interpret long standing highway marking conventions seems pretty grievous to me. Still. I can't say it was life threatening as I did not observe the problem with oncoming traffic. For study purposes my experience was not fully adequate because the road was pretty empty with almost no oncoming traffic and none at any potentially problematic time.

My software on my Jan 2023 YLR is FSD beta v11.3.6 I've had FSD Beta about 2 weeks. I took a trip last weekend where I was on a winding two lane highway with clear markings and FSD behaved very poorly. The two extremities of the two lanes were clear white solid lines. In the middle of the road were slightly less bold ( but still clear to me) yellow markings that I thought were pretty standard. At places on this winding road you would have two yellow lines in the middle of the road with one line solid and the other line dashed - meaning cars on the dashed line side had adequate visibility to pass a vehicle ahead of them moving in the same direction if they saw no vehicle ahead in the oncoming lane, whereas vehicles on the side of the road with the solid yellow line were advised that even if they could not see an oncoming vehicle they were advised not to try to pass. To me this road marking standard has existed for decades and decades. Yet my FSD Beta repeatedly made a really nutty interpretation of the road, steering me right toward the lane of oncoming traffic - where there were in fact no cars. I assume it would not do so had cars been visibly coming in the oncoming lane. I took control of the car myself when our car surged over the middle lines so I can't be sure if it just wanted to be in the middle of the road or if it wanted to be in the other lane. When there was only a single yellow line in the middle of the road or there were two solid yellow lines in the middle of the road FSD seemed willing to stay properly in its lane. WE experienced lots of deficiencies with FSD, but this to me was clearly the worst. The very first deficiencies I saw were dealing with intersections in my home town that had highly non-standard markings. I have every sympathy with FSD developers trying to contend with local traffic engineers who don't adhere to standards and make "improvements" of their own. On the other hand, inability to reliably interpret long standing highway marking conventions seems pretty grievous to me. Still. I can't say it was life threatening as I did not observe the problem with oncoming traffic. For study purposes my experience was not fully adequate because the road was pretty empty with almost no oncoming traffic and none at any potentially problematic time.
Only hours after posting the above, I was driving inter-city on another two lane highway with the same system of markings: vivid solid white lanes on the outside of each lane and a double yellow line in the middle of the road separating the two lanes: sometimes the two yellow lines were solid, and sometimes one or the other of the two yellow lines would be dashed next to a solid yellow line. This time the road, although only two lanes was pretty broad with wide paved shoulders beyond the white lines, and the road was curvy but not as twisty as in the previous case. Also the two lanes between the solid white lines were wider. Beyond that, the yellow lines were more vivid. The car drove faultlessly on this road using FSD. Yet, I would maintain that the previous experience described above was repeatedly inexcusable. Beyond that I had a scary experience in another city. I was driving on a four (2 in each direction) road in a town where the four lane road crossed a two lane road at right angles. The potential intersection of these roads had been replaced by a tight little small diameter traffic circle where the traffic circle had two lanes with traffic going clockwise. I left the car to enter the circle under FSD - at first we were lined up waiting behind other vehicles to enter the circle - eventually we got to the circle on an inner lane of our four lane road - we then waited and moved slightly, awkwardly for an opportunity to enter the circle. Our objective was to get around the circle taking the 2nd exit exit thereby continuing down the 4 lane highway. Eventually we got a good clear entry but the car was so slow to seize the opportunity, it was missed. Then we got a lesser opportunity the car ceased but it ended up trying to leave the traffic circle from its inner lane out into the first exit apparently sure to collide with a solid obstruction between the two lanes at the first exit point - one lane leaving the circle and the lane on the other side of the obstruction entering the circle. I took over and avoided the collision. My wife was understandably upset and directed me never to let the car attempt that again with her in the car. I find it odd that I've watch a number of videos with this same beta version of FSD and never seen cock-ups such as I have experienced with it. One guy I certainly respect in San Diego uses it for taxi service where 70% of his trips the FSD is faultless. I think the difference is probably to quite a degree road construction standards. That traffic circle of my grief was not there from day 1, but rather was squeezed into limited space to get a 2 lane road across a long established 4 lane highway after a lot of development occurred on the previously empty south side of the 4 lane road I was travelling, where the two lane road was needed to connect developments on either side of the 4 lane road. The guy doing the taxi service in San Diego drives an older Tesla model 3 with radar and ultra sonic sensors not in my car. I note that difference, but doubt that is the problem.

Last edited: