Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD removed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just removed FSD from our S75D. I don't have my monroney sticker and cannot find a picture of it. It had FSD on purchase. What's my next step?
Thanks,
DZM

Did you purchase your car from Tesla? If so, you should be able to go to your account page on the Tesla website and pull up your order agreement which will have everything that was purchased with the car.

If you have some kind of proof that the car had FSD when you purchased it, then it will probably take a few serious phone calls to Tesla to sort this out (some people on this forum may give you a number to call for best response). Legally they can't remove functionality from the car that they do not own.

If you don't have proof, it will be more difficult, but still try it - you have to really think through what you say while on the phone. But they have a record of when FSD was removed, and you have a record of when you have purchased the car.

Just because an item may display on the Monroney sticker does not mean the first buyer paid for the item. My first S had 21" from the factory and shown on the Monroney sticker. I didn't want them. They pulled them and put 19"s on and dropped the price before I bought the car. the MVPA had the correct configuration not the Monroney sticker. You can't depend on the sticker. Removing software or disabling software would be even easier. Removing items on a new car or truck is not a new thing or only Tesla doing it.

Continuing with my example. If I bought a used Tesla from a private party or even Tesla and someone how got a copy of the original Monroney sticker and it showed 21"s wheels and it now had 19"s, could I demand Tesla put 21"s on it now?

The way I see if you can either find the first owner and ask to see his MVPA and see if he purchased FSD or hope that Tesla will check their records and maybe show you the owner's redacted name MVPA on the status of FSD.

Because just because you had it does not mean the first or second owner paid for it. We've heard stories of a 30 day trial of FSD being extended for a year+ and then when Tesla discovered it was never paid for - disabling it. It comes down to you were lucky to have access to it for a long time, but they don't owe you a free license for it.

Losing FSD does not mean we don't sympathize with you. Its just that you have to find proof it was paid for to get it restored.

Just because an item may display on the Monroney sticker does not mean the first buyer paid for the item. My first S had 21" from the factory and shown on the Monroney sticker. I didn't want them. They pulled them and put 19"s on and dropped the price before I bought the car. the MVPA had the correct configuration not the Monroney sticker. You can't depend on the sticker. Removing software or disabling software would be even easier. Removing items on a new car or truck is not a new thing or only Tesla doing it.

Continuing with my example. If I bought a used Tesla from a private party or even Tesla and someone how got a copy of the original Monroney sticker and it showed 21"s wheels and it now had 19"s, could I demand Tesla put 21"s on it now?

The way I see if you can either find the first owner and ask to see his MVPA and see if he purchased FSD or hope that Tesla will check their records and maybe show you the owner's redacted name MVPA on the status of FSD.

Because just because you had it does not mean the first or second owner paid for it. We've heard stories of a 30 day trial of FSD being extended for a year+ and then when Tesla discovered it was never paid for - disabling it. It comes down to you were lucky to have access to it for a long time, but they don't owe you a free license for it.

Losing FSD does not mean we don't sympathize with you. Its just that you have to find proof it was paid for to get it restored.
Good point I'll reach out to original owner as I thought I had all the info, including my Tesla account which showed FUSC and FSD, but can't find it now.

You don't need proof it was paid for on a Monroney to get it restored. Just that you had it when you bought the car and they took it away without your permission. Buying it with the features included is proof enough that you paid for it, and since you owned it when it was removed Tesla had to have your permission to take it away (which you would remember).

If you bought the car from previous owner, and they paid for FSD, and it showed FSD after the car has been added to your account, then just give them a call, it should go smooth.

The cases where we seen FSD removed is when a dealer buys a car on an auction from Tesla, then sells it to a customer, and then Tesla removes FSD. They "meant" to remove it while the car was still in their possession (before it was sold to the dealer), but didn't do it in time. Your case is different since the car never went through Tesla's hands, so they should be able to just add FSD back on without problems.

Additional details - 2nd owner and account used to show it. Then months ago account pages changed and now can't see the details...

"Account used to show it" does not = "it was bought and paid for, AND tesla never had ownership of this car in between"

Did you buy DIRECTLY from the first owner AND did first owner have documented payment for said items?

You don't need proof it was paid for on a Monroney to get it restored. Just that you had it when you bought the car and they took it away without your permission. Buying it with the features included is proof enough that you paid for it, and since you owned it when it was removed Tesla had to have your permission to take it away (which you would remember).
nope,
buying something that was on the car when you purchased it doesn't mean you own it. A slightly different example but similar, if you purchased a watch from a jeweler that was reported as stolen by the original owner, then the original owner legally owns the watch and is entitled to have it returned to him. You as the "new owner" would have to return it to the original owner and neither you nor the jewelry store are entitled to any compensation. I know this for a fact since I had some watches stolen and recovered them.

If the owner of the vehicle never "owned FSD" because he never paid for it, then he was not entitled to sell it to you, even if it was on the car at time of sale... If the prior owner never legally owned the FSD, it wasn't his to sell.

Last edited:
Lots of people doubling down on the far-fetched hypotheticals here about the original owner maybe never having paid for FSD despite it being present on the car for years, etc etc etc.

We should be well past the point of giving Tesla benefit of the doubt in this scenario. They've shown time and time again that they are regularly stripping these features from used cars to fleece new owners. On purpose. When the original owner had paid for the features. Without particular regard to their own policies or the transferability that was stated or implied to the original owner.

It's shady, greedy, and nobody should be defending it.

Lots of people doubling down on the far-fetched hypotheticals here about the original owner maybe never having paid for FSD despite it being present on the car for years, etc etc etc.

We should be well past the point of giving Tesla benefit of the doubt in this scenario. They've shown time and time again that they are regularly stripping these features from used cars to fleece new owners. On purpose. When the original owner had paid for the features. Without particular regard to their own policies or the transferability that was stated or implied to the original owner.

It's shady, greedy, and nobody should be defending it.
who's defending Tesla? I'm only stating that possession does equate to ownership. Tesla has every right to downgrade every car that they own, ie taking back as trade, lease returns etc. I'd agree that it is wrong to remove paid for options from a car that only changes hands between private parties but we don't know that this is the case in this particular situation.

There's many instances where "options" that were never paid for were left on a car for an extended period of time only to be discovered during a Tesla audit or change of ownership and in those cases the options were rightfully disabled IMO.

For what it is worth I am currently trying to help Tesla. They can't seem to find FSD for my S. Currently not showing on my account. Not happy. Only brought it up because of infotainment upgrade.

Tesla claims they can't find it. MVPA not there online. Have window sticker. Bought from Tesla. Numerous chats saying I have it saved.

Discouraging to say the least. Many might have time to deal with this now, but mentally I don't have capacity currently.

A couple of years ago sales people were offering trials of FSD when people bought the car. I read many posts where people even went so far as to say they told Sales that they were not interested and Sales turn it on anyway. Didn't matter if it was on the Monroney sticker our not, - here just try it. Tesla was terrible about following up on turning it off after the so called trail should have been over. We are now seeing the effect of poor follow through on Tesla's part.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago sales people were offering trials of FSD when people bought the car. I read many posts where people even went so far as to say they told Sales that they were not interested and Sales turn it on anyway. Didn't matter if it was on the Monroney sticker our not, - here just try it. Tesla was terrible about following up on turning it off after the so called trail should have been over. We are not seeing the effect of poor follow through on Tesla's part.

I assume you are saying "now we are seeing the effect...."

Mine was so strange. Copy of window sticker etc...car from inventory shipped from Texas to Michigan home delivery. Original documents sent to wrong location with plate. Never sent final docs. Still took possession. Now the original MVPA is in the wind.

who's defending Tesla? I'm only stating that possession does equate to ownership. Tesla has every right to downgrade every car that they own, ie taking back as trade, lease returns etc. I'd agree that it is wrong to remove paid for options from a car that only changes hands between private parties but we don't know that this is the case in this particular situation.

There's many instances where "options" that were never paid for were left on a car for an extended period of time only to be discovered during a Tesla audit or change of ownership and in those cases the options were rightfully disabled IMO.
you're misquoting me. Tesla has every right to remove something they own,but if it's on a car owned by anyone else, taking something away is theft. Theft is still theft when it's removed by software and isn't an excusable crime just because it was easier to commit than breaking and entering, and if Tesla "accidentally" leaves it on a car they have sold without accounting for it in price, they still sold it that way and the option is legally sold. This apues to FSD or wheels equally, stealing your wheels post sale is just as illegal. It's up to Tesla to make sure they price their product appropriately because after that first sale goes through they can't do a thing about it without asking the current owner for permission. Without permission removal is theft.

If they aren't training their delivery staff properly, they need to fix the problem not resort to post sale theft. Inspection is the duty of bothbuyer and seller.

...There's many instances where "options" that were never paid for were left on a car for an extended period of time only to be discovered during a Tesla audit or change of ownership and in those cases the options were rightfully disabled IMO.

That is the grey area.

If the original owner didn't pay for premium wheels but Tesla neglected and delivered that feature then Tesla has the right to ask for the payment, ask the owner to swap the wheels out or put their name on as a lienholder on the car's title but they cannot legally break into a private residence, a locked garage and swap the wheels out.

That's what software disabling means. Tesla can proceed legal path to get the payment or put their name as a lienholder on the car's title but they cannot legally disable the feature without the current owner's consent.

Because it is a software enabling feature, Tesla thinks it can push the envelope on the grey area and it ended up very badly for Tesla the last time it took away the FSD from a second private used car owner who got his story published.

It is also problematic for those who bought used as a second private owner and had Ludicrous feature but then Tesla disabled it and asked for payment from the second owner.

That problem can be theoretically expanded to other features if this kind of grey practice is not stopped such as 75kWh could be taken away and become 60 kWh unless the second owner would pay again...

Reactions: FlatSix911