Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Request button goes live tonight!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get dinged for everything. I took a drive with my wife, who criticizes me for everything, but wasn’t able to find a problem with my driving. Safety Score said 97, with 19.6 unsafe follow distance. It’s already been a week. Per Elon, if Tesla only rolled out to 1000 cars a week, starting with people who have scores of 100/100, then 99/100, then 98/100, I probably won’t get it, for at least a month or two, realistically and without delays. I was definitely willing to do this for 1 week, but probably not for 8 weeks or more.

Elon Musk: "I think a Tesla is the most fun thing you could possibly buy, ever. That's what it's meant to be. It's not exactly a car. It's actually a thing to maximize enjoyment. Make maximum fun." …uh, Safety Score is killing this statement! I may go back to to just having fun. Then again, being the first to try out AP in 10/2015 was fun too.

I get dinged for everything. I took a drive with my wife, who criticizes me for everything, but wasn’t able to find a problem with my driving. Safety Score said 97, with 19.6 unsafe follow distance. It’s already been a week. Per Elon, if Tesla only rolled out to 1000 cars a week, starting with people who have scores of 100/100, then 99/100, then 98/100, I probably won’t get it, for at least a month or two, realistically and without delays. I was definitely willing to do this for 1 week, but probably not for 8 weeks or more.

Elon Musk: "I think a Tesla is the most fun thing you could possibly buy, ever. That's what it's meant to be. It's not exactly a car. It's actually a thing to maximize enjoyment. Make maximum fun." …uh, Safety Score is killing this statement! I may go back to to just having fun. Then again, being the first to try out AP in 10/2015 was fun too.
I agree...I’m guessing unsafe follows are from people cutting in front of me since I’m putting too much distance between me and the cars ahead of me...the aggressive turns and braking seem poorly defined as the few that I have gotten haven’t even budged the toy poodle lounging in the passenger seat...in over a week I’ve gotten dinged on aggressive braking 3 times and haven’t had any reason to stomp on my brakes. I‘m still pissed that using early warning mode for accident avoidance dinged me big time for a car turning right a half block ahead of me...was already watching it and no way was that a concern when the car beeped me. Turned that feature to normal and haven’t had an issue since. I kinda like those early warning beeps, though, so will turn it back on after this “test” is over. Never had an accident in 50 years of driving so haven’t really changed my driving habits other than ignoring the Camaro revving its engine next to me at a stop light last night. Beat him through the intersection without really trying anyway :). Think I’m sitting at 98 score now.

I'm at 98% in LA. Here's what I've learned...you can accelerate as quickly as you want, but moving fast means you may have to brake hard. If you have to brake hard (for non-emergencies like yellow lights, stop signs, slow cars), engage AP immediately and let it do the dirty work so you don't get dinged. I have had AP brake HARD on it's own and it didn't affect my score! I let AP tailgate on the freeways too, so I don't get dinged for following too close either. Even with AP follow set to 7, the car sometimes follows pretty close to the car in front.

Reactions: TK16688
I discovered that letting regen braking go to maximum with foot off the throttle will result in a hard braking event. So slow down sooner with half throttle never taking your foot off until stopped.

I still haven't figured out the unsafe following. I got a 2% hit on a short trip on my street for 1 mile with never another car in sight. The calculator is in beta too so maybe these errors are just calculator errors. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the way this thing works.

Current score is 98 from 300 to 500 miles of travel.

I went to a section of the neighborhood and drove around where there were many stop signs and no traffic. I put 5 miles on and dozens of soft stops. I raised my average score now to 99 for 505 miles.

Decided to add the beta queue to my Model Y and drove it for 5 miles. Not seeing any safety score yet on the app. Might need to check to be sure the Y is connected to wifi.

Decided to add the beta queue to my Model Y and drove it for 5 miles. Not seeing any safety score yet on the app. Might need to check to be sure the Y is connected to wifi.
After 45 minutes our iphones updated with the Safety score for the Model Y by rebooting the app. However the 5 mile drive I did after being in the queue did not show up. I'll probably just wait for my wife to drive it tomorrow.

So I enter the race to get into the beta test group lineup as follows:

IMG_2298.PNG

Congrats on the 99%! if you keep it up, hopefully you’ll get it in a month or so.

roll out is delayed again:

I’m starting to feel like Charlie Brown and Elon is Lucy holding the football. Some of you will get this reference. I’ve been at this long enough to know and understand “Elon time”.

Elon said there were slightly over 1000 people with 100%, so they’ll probably all get it in the first wave. “Assuming” There are 2000 people with 99% and 4000 with 98%, 8000 97%, (just my random guess, I’m probably under estimating) being at 98% And 97% on my 3 & Y, I would be offered the upgrade in 4- 12 weeks. This is, of course, if there were 1) no delays, this is a BIG IF?, and 2) my score doesn’t change.

IMO, realistically I probably won’t get it until end of this year or beginning of next, so do I really want to drive all paranoid and stressed out each time a car cuts in front of me or the light turns yellow or do I want to go back to carefree, fun driving again?

I was fine driving extremely caution for a week, but now it’s 2 weeks going to 4. I’m not sure I want to keep this up for 2-4 months, or longer. If you really enjoy the way you have to drive to keep up the Safety Score, then more power to you!

It's Aggressive TuRning.

All spelled out here: Determining Safety Score

And just so everyone is aware, any event that would have triggered a ding on your safety score will not ding your score if you were on autopilot at the time. The only exception is a forced autopilot disengagement (caused by ignored warnings to "Apply Slight Pressure to the Wheel").

"The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged and appropriately utilized."

So use AP as much as possible.
Thats really good to know, I tey to use it as much as I can -I just got the FSD request option - where is the driver score ?

Got 97% my first drive...two incidents...first was me outthinking the process...was driving 45 speed limit and light changed ahead...could have made it easily on te yellow but decided to slow down and stop for it (no cars behind me). Didn‘t seem very aggressive (dog didn’t slide off the seat next to me :)). Also did a uturn and accelerated as normal out of the turn. Guess the Stealth and performance owners need to be easier on the pedal :). No big deal, just 5 more days in ”The week of driving safely” :). Never had an accident in 50 years of driving so should be fun.
How do I get the drive score ?

Congrats on the 99%! if you keep it up, hopefully you’ll get it in a month or so.

roll out is delayed again:

I’m starting to feel like Charlie Brown and Elon is Lucy holding the football. Some of you will get this reference. I’ve been at this long enough to know and understand “Elon time”.

Elon said there were slightly over 1000 people with 100%, so they’ll probably all get it in the first wave. “Assuming” There are 2000 people with 99% and 4000 with 98%, 8000 97%, (just my random guess, I’m probably under estimating) being at 98% And 97% on my 3 & Y, I would be offered the upgrade in 4- 12 weeks. This is, of course, if there were 1) no delays, this is a BIG IF?, and 2) my score doesn’t change.

IMO, realistically I probably won’t get it until end of this year or beginning of next, so do I really want to drive all paranoid and stressed out each time a car cuts in front of me or the light turns yellow or do I want to go back to carefree, fun driving again?

I was fine driving extremely caution for a week, but now it’s 2 weeks going to 4. I’m not sure I want to keep this up for 2-4 months, or longer. If you really enjoy the way you have to drive to keep up the Safety Score, then more power to you!
How do I get the drive score ? I opted in on the beta request

I’m at 97%. I turned off my beta request. I back to having fun driving again.
I figure when Tesla finally get around to rolling it out to 97%, I’ll turn it on again. Two things can happen, it’ll either keep my score, and I’ll get it or it’ll reset my score and I’ll get it. Either way, I don’t have to drive like a granny until then.