Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Resale Value after 3 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has been able to put a figure on what the resale value of the $10,000 FSD option is on a 3 year old car?

I ran Kelly Blue Book, which had the option to run it with or without. I ran both and was only $1,000 higher with than without!

90% loss in value per KBB anyway, but is that reality?

My question regarding the KBB valuation is since EAP and FSD were available as separate options at one point, should you check both EAP and FSD or just FSD and assume EAP is included? I'm guessing it's meant to be the latter but I'm sure some people will check both to get a value.

Also, three years ago EAP/FSD was $8k so if the resale is $1k that’s "only" an 88% loss.;)

Just curious if anyone has been able to put a figure on what the resale value of the $10,000 FSD option is on a 3 year old car?

I ran Kelly Blue Book, which had the option to run it with or without. I ran both and was only $1,000 higher with than without!

10,000 for a hoax? Lol.

What do you think would be fair value for a feature that doesn’t exist?

KBB and NADA are worthless when it comes to valuing these cars, Therefore it doesn't surprise me that they're clueless on FSD as a $10k option. What I'm seeing is a pretty consistent different in value of $10k more for cars w/FSD and $5k more for cars with EAP over cars that don't have either one. Prices are all over right now and some poor chumps are dropping $10k more for cars that don't have EAP/FSD and it sucks for them but this stepped values I've witnessed goes back to before the market went crazy. If you're in the market the trick is trying to find a dealership who doesn't know anything about this (which is most 3rd party dealers) that has theirs priced down with the ones that don't have anything but actually has one of these two options. This is nearly impossible these days as dealers are just pricing them all sky-high and getting it for them eventually. I see LOTS of people over way overspending on Teslas and I can't wait for the wave of owners posting on this forum a year from now how the "Bottom fell out on the resale value of their Tesla" when it's 100% on them for buying it wrong on the front end. I'm sure they'll find a way to blame something that Tesla has done at that time too rather than accept responsibility for their own actions. Those threads promise to be fun.

While many Tesla owners have no interest to doing any legwork to sell a car themselves, if the current market holds for a while, I can't imagine Tesla getting as many cars back from leases. Prices were reduced significantly in 2019 because they couldn't sell any cars. Thus, the residual buyouts are pretty low in comparison to what the cars are selling for. Based on what I've seen Tesla's selling for, just for mine alone, it's a huge difference.

I tried a Model 3 for a very short time after having owned multiple Model S cars previously with price tags well over $100,000. Was trying to be smart and tried the cheaper version, but hated the car so much after being used to the S. Then, perfect timing, Tesla made the decision to transition back to the S a no brainer when they reduced the price of the base model to $79,000. Used ones 2 1/2 years old are selling for not all that much less.

While many owners may not want to deal with it and will just give the cars back. I'm usually one of them! But, would be silly not to just buy it at the end in my case. Even with paying the sales tax on the remaining balance, still A LOT of room left between residual and market value.

While as of now, this will be my last Tesla for a while, being that it looks like any other EV I'd consider probably won't be ready by the time my lease is up and since the warranty is good for another year beyond the lease end, probably will just keep what I have for a while longer and see what 2023 has to offer. If that happens, will certainly be the longest daily driver I've ever kept at over three years. I do have other cars in the garage that I've had for around 15 years.

For those that question leasing versus buying, in this circumstance, very happy I leased as my net cost after three years to own the car outright will end up being less than if I had purchased it. The best thing about the lease, it gives you the option. My last Model S, the buyout was well over $70,000, yet Tesla had 20 of the same car on their website for in the low $60,000's. They refused to negotiate as I wanted to buy that one. Instead, they sold the car for $61,000 and had to give out another 4 year warranty on it, plus whatever refreshing they do on lease returns. I offered more than that and they wouldn't have had to do a thing, but were too stubborn to even consider it. That's one of the things with Tesla's "our way or no way" attitude just baffles me.

Reactions: TessP100D
While many Tesla owners have no interest to doing any legwork to sell a car themselves, if the current market holds for a while, I can't imagine Tesla getting as many cars back from leases. Prices were reduced significantly in 2019 because they couldn't sell any cars. Thus, the residual buyouts are pretty low in comparison to what the cars are selling for. Based on what I've seen Tesla's selling for, just for mine alone, it's a huge difference.

I tried a Model 3 for a very short time after having owned multiple Model S cars previously with price tags well over $100,000. Was trying to be smart and tried the cheaper version, but hated the car so much after being used to the S. Then, perfect timing, Tesla made the decision to transition back to the S a no brainer when they reduced the price of the base model to $79,000. Used ones 2 1/2 years old are selling for not all that much less.

While many owners may not want to deal with it and will just give the cars back. I'm usually one of them! But, would be silly not to just buy it at the end in my case. Even with paying the sales tax on the remaining balance, still A LOT of room left between residual and market value.

While as of now, this will be my last Tesla for a while, being that it looks like any other EV I'd consider probably won't be ready by the time my lease is up and since the warranty is good for another year beyond the lease end, probably will just keep what I have for a while longer and see what 2023 has to offer. If that happens, will certainly be the longest daily driver I've ever kept at over three years. I do have other cars in the garage that I've had for around 15 years.

For those that question leasing versus buying, in this circumstance, very happy I leased as my net cost after three years to own the car outright will end up being less than if I had purchased it. The best thing about the lease, it gives you the option. My last Model S, the buyout was well over $70,000, yet Tesla had 20 of the same car on their website for in the low $60,000's. They refused to negotiate as I wanted to buy that one. Instead, they sold the car for $61,000 and had to give out another 4 year warranty on it, plus whatever refreshing they do on lease returns. I offered more than that and they wouldn't have had to do a thing, but were too stubborn to even consider it. That's one of the things with Tesla's "our way or no way" attitude just baffles me.
I didn't think you could your own leased Model 3?.......my brother in law has a 2019 Model s with FSD and Tesla will not allow him to but it at lease end......they will extend lease for 6 months...but as of now, the new model 3 has a year wait for delivery

I didn't think you could your own leased Model 3?.......my brother in law has a 2019 Model s with FSD and Tesla will not allow him to but it at lease end......they will extend lease for 6 months...but as of now, the new model 3 has a year wait for delivery
I own a Model S. Not a Model 3.

You mentioned both a Model S and a Model 3 in your comments above. A Model 3, the lessee cannot buy the car at the end of the lease. Same with the Model Y. Tesla originally did this because they thought they would all be robo-taxi's and wanted them back. Clearly, that's not happening any time soon. For whatever odd resason, a dealer can buy the lease, but the lessee cannot. Makes no sense, but that's not unusual for Tesla.

Anyway, Model S has no such restriction. Nor does a Model X. Those are typical leases with a residual value and pre-determined option to purchase at the end of the lease. If your brother has a Model S, tell him to read his lease. Should be an option for it, unless they changed it for a short period of time very late in 2019. Even with the new Model S, leases contain the option to purchase at the end. I'm not aware of any time that they restricted the Model S & X. I have friends with 2020's and they also have the option to purchase. The no-purchase option has always been missing from the 3 and Y.

Like other said, the FSD value is really only on the hardware upgrade you get down the road for free. But that is not guarantee either. Musk recently stated latest FSD beta does not work on AP 2.0 cars upgraded to AP 3.0 processing hardware because of outdated camera modules. And who knows what it will take to upgrade those. As for the self-driving features, unless you trust Musk with your life, I would say to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Hasn't Tesla been removing FSD from cars that go through dealerships? I've seen posts on this forum about it. I thought only private party sales retain FSD.

Tesla typically only removes FSD from cars that pass through their hands (e.g., lease returns or trade-ins) and end up at auction. If someone trades or sells a car with FSD to a dealership, it should stay with the car.

One problem is that Tesla doesn't always remove FSD from cars prior to going to auction and they sometimes end up in buying dealership's hands showing FSD, only to be removed later and possibly after the next (private party) buyer took possession.

I just bought my 3 year/30,000 mile lease out early on my 2019 Model S. I purchased autopilot for $5k when I leased it and was upgraded to the FSD hardware last fall for free. The lease would have ended in March 2022 with a residual of $46k. My early buyout was ~$54k.
Market value on the car is in the mid-$70k range. You’d be crazy not to buy your Model S or X lease if you have a lease ending in 2021 or 2022.
That’s why all the M3 and MY leasers are all pissed off and threatening to sue Tesla since they can no longer sell their cars to third party dealerships and cash in.

I just bought my 3 year/30,000 mile lease out early on my 2019 Model S. I purchased autopilot for $5k when I leased it and was upgraded to the FSD hardware last fall for free. The lease would have ended in March 2022 with a residual of $46k. My early buyout was ~$54k.
Market value on the car is in the mid-$70k range. You’d be crazy not to buy your Model S or X lease if you have a lease ending in 2021 or 2022.
That’s why all the M3 and MY leasers are all pissed off and threatening to sue Tesla since they can no longer sell their cars to third party dealerships and cash in.
Hey tesla need to make more money right?

$5k for AP? Is this USD? I thought it was only $3k (before it became standard) in 2019. Also, I thought the "free" HW 3.0 upgrade was only for cars with purchased FSD.

I agree that this is can be a good time for people to buy out their 2021 or 2022 lease but that may only be true if they plan to sell the car now without replacing it with something else right away. It's important to keep in mind that some of that higher resale value may be wiped out by the higher (inflated) price of a potential replacement car. Also, if they plan to keep the car for a while, the increased value many not be there when they try to sell/trade down the road after the car market and prices have returned to "normal."

When I was selling my 2017 90D (with FSD) privately this summer, I researched the market for about two weeks. Pouring over just about every site you can imagine (Autotempest, carsandbids, bringatrailer, ebay, kbb, edmunds, classifieds here, and many more sites). What I found overall, was that in the case of the S of at least that era, FSD was demanding ~$3k more (at most) than non FSD. I didnt see anywhere (except on Tesla's website) that FSD was getting anywhere close to $10k value

Also, at that time, KBB was pretty much spot on for the 2017 Model S market in the private party price ranges listed.

Last edited:
I own a Model S. Not a Model 3.

You mentioned both a Model S and a Model 3 in your comments above. A Model 3, the lessee cannot buy the car at the end of the lease. Same with the Model Y. Tesla originally did this because they thought they would all be robo-taxi's and wanted them back. Clearly, that's not happening any time soon. For whatever odd resason, a dealer can buy the lease, but the lessee cannot. Makes no sense, but that's not unusual for Tesla.

Anyway, Model S has no such restriction. Nor does a Model X. Those are typical leases with a residual value and pre-determined option to purchase at the end of the lease. If your brother has a Model S, tell him to read his lease. Should be an option for it, unless they changed it for a short period of time very late in 2019. Even with the new Model S, leases contain the option to purchase at the end. I'm not aware of any time that they restricted the Model S & X. I have friends with 2020's and they also have the option to purchase. The no-purchase option has always been missing from the 3 and Y.
sorry.....I meant to say brother in law has a model 3 lease......thanks for the information....appreciate your response

$5k for AP? Is this USD? I thought it was only $3k (before it became standard) in 2019. Also, I thought the "free" HW 3.0 upgrade was only for cars with purchased FSD.

I agree that this is can be a good time for people to buy out their 2021 or 2022 lease but that may only be true if they plan to sell the car now without replacing it with something else right away. It's important to keep in mind that some of that higher resale value may be wiped out by the higher (inflated) price of a potential replacement car. Also, if they plan to keep the car for a while, the increased value many not be there when they try to sell/trade down the road after the car market and prices have returned to "normal."
Back in late 2018 when I placed the order, Tesla had autopilot for $5K. At the time it was pay for autopilot or get just basic cruise control. The promise was if you paid for autopilot you would get FSD since at the time autopilot was the precursor to FSD. Last fall I got a message to schedule mobile service for the free hardware upgrade.

I don't plan on selling my Model S in the next year or so and it's still worth the early buy-out. Since Tesla has terrible Money Factor's on their leases, by buying the lease I was able to drop my monthly payments by a few hundred dollars. Buying a low mileage, red 75D with FSD for $54k was a no-brainer. The market will correct itself no doubt, but unless something crazy happens I can't see the car being negative equity ever.