Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Resale Value after 3 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in late 2018 when I placed the order, Tesla had autopilot for $5K. At the time it was pay for autopilot or get just basic cruise control. The promise was if you paid for autopilot you would get FSD since at the time autopilot was the precursor to FSD. Last fall I got a message to schedule mobile service for the free hardware upgrade.

I don't plan on selling my Model S in the next year or so and it's still worth the early buy-out. Since Tesla has terrible Money Factor's on their leases, by buying the lease I was able to drop my monthly payments by a few hundred dollars. Buying a low mileage, red 75D with FSD for $54k was a no-brainer. The market will correct itself no doubt, but unless something crazy happens I can't see the car being negative equity ever.
Coincidentally, that's my buyout cost as well, yet for a 2019 Raven Long Range. Based on the current market, leaves me with no choice but to buy the car at that price. At least in my mind, there's no choice. Would be silly to not do so and just hand it back to Tesla.

Back in late 2018 when I placed the order, Tesla had autopilot for $5K. At the time it was pay for autopilot or get just basic cruise control. The promise was if you paid for autopilot you would get FSD since at the time autopilot was the precursor to FSD.
Your last statement is not true. Since October 2016 FSD has always been a defined option, separate from Autopilot. Throughout 2018, Enhanced Autopilot was $5000, and FSD was an additional $3000. These were the prices when ordered with the vehicle and they were more if purchased later. In October 2018, FSD went off menu for 4 to 5 months. It was still an option but you had to know to ask for it.

There was a “fire sale” in early 2019 for about a week in which current owners could get EAP/FSD for $3k + $2k = $5k total.

Your last statement is not true. Since October 2016 FSD has always been a defined option, separate from Autopilot. Throughout 2018, Enhanced Autopilot was $5000, and FSD was an additional $3000. These were the prices when ordered with the vehicle and they were more if purchased later. In October 2018, FSD went off menu for 4 to 5 months. It was still an option but you had to know to ask for it.

There was a “fire sale” in early 2019 for about a week in which current owners could get EAP/FSD for $3k + $2k = $5k total.
Yeah….Tesla didn’t even have anything they called FSD back in 2016. It was just Enhanced Autopilot. Like I said, when I ordered it was pay $5k or get nothing but basic cruise control. Later they changed the name to FSD and offered free hardware upgrades to those who purchased Enhanced Autopilot.

Since I paid $5k for EAP and got the free hardware upgrade to FSD, my statement holds true.

10F52312-A4FA-4F5E-83F3-78BE0B3338B9.jpeg
F84BABA3-2D64-4737-BAC2-3518207D80E8.jpeg

@Kairide, you either got lucky through a glitch at Tesla, or FSD was later purchased for your car. If you ordered the car at the end of 2018, they certainly did have something called FSD and it cost $3k extra. Late 2018 it was off menu, but just EAP was not considered the same thing as EAP+FSD. Yes, they have had the same driving features for many years, but EAP by itself should not have given you the HW3 upgrade. Is that all you got for free, or do you actually have FSD?

I’m responding to your posts just because I don’t want anyone mislead into thinking EAP essentially entitled someone to FSD. They have been 2 separate line items since EAP came out in 2016.

@Kairide, you either got lucky through a glitch at Tesla, or FSD was later purchased for your car. If you ordered the car at the end of 2018, they certainly did have something called FSD and it cost $3k extra. Late 2018 it was off menu, but just EAP was not considered the same thing as EAP+FSD. Yes, they have had the same driving features for many years, but EAP by itself should not have given you the HW3 upgrade. Is that all you got for free, or do you actually have FSD?

I’m responding to your posts just because I don’t want anyone mislead into thinking EAP essentially entitled someone to FSD. They have been 2 separate line items since EAP came out in 2016.
They did not offer FSD as an option when I ordered, the only option was EAP for $5k. The message in the app I received from Tesla just stated as an owner of a FSD capability car I was entitled to the free hardware upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0. I have the entire FSD suite; traffic light and stop sign control.
🤷‍♂️