Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD reverting to AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I downloaded the FSD beta update a few weeks ago, then a few days ago updated to 2021.36.8.10. Yesterday when I was driving it wasn’t behaving normally and I realized that FSD was inactive and the car had reverted to AP (Essentially it would stay in the lane on the highway and ask me to confirm lane changes but nothing else.) Partway thorough the drive FSD transiently kicked on, evidenced by the multi-colored lines on the display, then kicked off again.

When I took another trip later in the evening, FSD worked perfectly (or at least ’normally! ;)) I hadn’t gotten any notices about being in time out or FSD being disabled; the only thing I can figure was I had my dog in the car and she’s heavy enough to trigger the seatbelt warning that pops up on the screen. Maybe FSD won’t activate if everyone’s not bucked in?

On the plus side, it seems like the driver attention sensing worked quite well when I was in plain autopilot. 😀

Is it possible there was bad weather where you’re at? I know for me, FSD was disabled (off and on) several times yesterday due to the weather and the only notice I received was a brief message on the display in front of the Yoke (was fairly easy to miss - if you’re not paying attention to that particular screen at the moment)

Reactions: T3M3T
Were you on a highway/freeway or the street? FSD will revert to standard autopilot when getting on a highway/freeway currently as single-stack isn't in yet.
Both - the brief time FSD became available was actually on the freeway and I can say for a fact that I’ve used FSD on freeways prior to this without issue.

I haven’t heard anything about it reverting when getting on a highway - what’s ‘single-stack?’

Both - the brief time FSD became available was actually on the freeway and I can say for a fact that I’ve used FSD on freeways prior to this without issue.

I haven’t heard anything about it reverting when getting on a highway - what’s ‘single-stack?’
Right now there are 2 software Stacks (more Stacks counting Summon, Smart Summon, parallel parking,...) 1) FSD Beta Stack and 2) Standard Vision AP Stack. Anytime you get on a freeway/interstate your car switches from the FSDBeta Stack to the Vision AP Stack (which is the same as on all cars). Elon says that soon highway/interstate driving (plus all the other Stacks) will be integrated into the FSD Beta Stack. Elon quote (I think) "One Stack to rule them all" This will probably happen in V11.

Reactions: trisk and sleepydoc
On Freeways its called - Navigate On Autopilot (NOA), Beta. This is available to anyone who pays for "FSD".

On City streets its called Early Access FSD Beta. This is only by invitation, based on safety scores.

Reactions: T3M3T

If you ever see actual FSD turn on while on a highway (not an exit or entry ramp) that is NOT intended and may be caused by an error in the navigation data. It is only supposed to use the regular Navigate on Autopilot stack on highways.