Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is totally awesome. Tesla has feature complete FSD. Our cars can drive themselves, make turns at intersections, follow routes, make lane changes on city streets, avoid obstacles. It is amazing! But I do think what I wrote is an accurate description of what Tesla has released so far. It is generalized FSD. But it is beta and requires driver supervision. I don't think that is in dispute.
Agreed. When compared to Waymo, I think Tesla is making faster progress. After some testing I am confident that they will be on par with Waymo, but will also have the guts to release it to the general public, ultimately taking the first place in this race. I’d put my money where my mouth is, but I’m making advanced payments towards my car instead LOL

Reactions: DanCar
I already bought fsd.... but here were videos like this out several years ago... never made it to Public release. Start getting excited when widespread beta ships...
The Early Access testers ARE public and this is the first time it has been released. All previous videos were made by Tesla in house. It is in the wild for the fist time, grated it is very limited now. But it is "out" in the public.

Looks good so far. What I think will be most interesting is how the edge cases are handled, and how bad the deviations from 'ideal' paths are. I don't know if we should expect to see that now, or if more training data from the new release is needed.

Do we assume our EU cars are running this in shadow mode now?

Agreed. When compared to Waymo, I think Tesla is making faster progress. After some testing I am confident that they will be on par with Waymo, but will also have the guts to release it to the general public, ultimately taking the first place in this race. I’d put my money where my mouth is, but I’m making advanced payments towards my car instead LOL

Um, let's just recap for a moment.

Waymo has had Level 4 driveless taxis in operation on public roads, with no safety driver, for about a year now.

Tesla has some Level 2 driver aids in beta, with a safety driver, for a day.

And the Tesla system already nearly rear-ended a parked car.

Waymo has had Level 4 driveless taxis in operation on public roads, with no safety driver, for about a year now.

It depends on your strategy. Waymo works really good on a very small area of road. Tesla works ok on everyroad. And the videos suggest they have made a huge leap. I’m not getting my hopes up till we see a wider release and videos from people who aren’t shills, but looks good so far :)

Come on, stop it already...
Tesla is winning, Waymo is losing, get with the times. Watch the new George Hotz Interview with Lex... this is over.

Tesla will have 1 million+ actual nationwide highly profitable Robotaxis in 2022.
Waymo will have a few thousand unprofitable Robotaxis in a few cities.

Did Tesla remove the steering wheel nags on the FSD beta? I don't see any in the videos we've seen so far or maybe I just missed them or maybe the drivers are doing a good job with holding the wheel so the nags don't show up.
Just watched the Tesla raj video and he says it still nags. Hope Tesla will enable the interior camera on the 3 and Y to remove nag.

EDIT: Just to add. Tesla raj was in an S and the Electrek are in a 3. Wonder if the camera may be used since the S/X don't have this option?

Absolutely. My 16 year old son has his driving permit which means I get to sit beside him while he makes all sorts of interesting mistakes :)

Anyways, yesterday he made such a mistake at a 4 way intersection. I tapped the record icon so that I could see what the cameras recorded and AP would not have been to see the other car entering into the intersection.

Unless maybe there is a second really wide angle front view camera that isn’t recorded normally?
Post the link to the video of all cameras.

So, some cool little notes from Tesla Raj video
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0S_aa3-9Hw
upload_2020-10-22_8-56-29.png

upload_2020-10-22_8-56-50.png

The smoothness and detail of the birds-eye view is pretty freaking mesmerizing!

Come on, stop it already...
Tesla is winning, Waymo is losing, get with the times. Watch the new George Hotz Interview with Lex... this is over.

Tesla will have 1 million+ actual nationwide highly profitable Robotaxis in 2022.
Waymo will have a few thousand unprofitable Robotaxis in a few cities.
Lol. There is no way I’m getting in a Tesla taxi in 2022. This thing is in beta and I would want it tested for a lot longer before I hopped into a car with no steering wheel.

Lol. There is no way I’m getting in a Tesla taxi in 2022. This thing is in beta and I would want it tested for a lot longer before I hopped into a car with no steering wheel.

You might not, but some guy in Reno or Las Vegas will be. People really really underestimate how fast the progress will be now with the whole learning engine set-up by Karpathy et al.. Getting higher and higher reliability will be a matter of months after wide release, not years.

Btw. it will still have a Steering Wheel. The no-steering wheel product is the Robotaxi that has been presented on battery day for 2023/2024.

Of course the current timeframe (between supervised FSD and unsupervised FSD) is probably the most dangerous and people should really stay very vigilant.

If you read his post it was wide but he took over more because of a jumpy passenger. But yes, this system will NOT be as reliable as a waymo right now, I’m expecting some videos where it messes up. But it’s also not geofenced. Keep that in mind.

Doesn’t seem as groundbreaking as what Waymo but it’s because they aren’t depending on HD mapping and LIDAR. It can behave like this anywhere. Give it some time to show what it can do, already a lot of these naysayers who said it was all a hoax should be eating one of there socks right now.