Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"It may do the wrong thing at the worst time." Oh boy! FSD might try to kill you. LOL.

Having said that, it is nice to finally get a feature list for "automatic city driving":
- Make lane changes off highway
- Select forks to follow route
- Navigate around other vehicles and objects
- Make left and right turns
It is interesting that they released a bunch of features together - and not in parts like we were expecting at one time. Finally I can update the FSD features list !

Hopefully this comes to everyone quickly and not like parking.

Looking forward to videos of a pedestrian crossing. Particularly one where the pedestrians are proximal - loitering in the vicinity vs actual intention to cross. The car has to gauge intentions
That's sometimes tricky even for a human. When in doubt, I'd slow down and steer clear of them. Sometimes they're distracted. If there's not enough space I'll either stop or honk.

Looking at some of these newly released videos has got me hyped again since the first demo way back when. Can't wait to see how quickly they progress from here to fully autonomous. Lots of movement the past couple of weeks around this and i am lucky to be alive to experience it in my lifetime.

Probably already posted but this got me hyped.
https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1319142259086913536

If only hackers knew 100% of everything that was happening ... In so many of my projects I've explained the architecture to a bunch of devs who still don't seem to get the full picture !

The hacker in question has full access to the system and can see all the details of the collection campaigns, and all the actual data being sent to Tesla.

It's exactly as described.

There's no secret magic going on (and indeed later remarks from Elon and Karpathy largely confirmed his findings- all "shadow mode" is doing is targeted campaigns to send specific pictures of specific things back to HQ to be manually labeled by humans for later NN training- and only then does an updated, trained, NN, get sent back to ALL the cars as an OTA update- which is the only time car behavior changes.)

Folks who have these crazy fantasies about how their car "learns" from them or is secretly running magic code to see how its decisions compare to what the human does have no idea WTF they're talking about or how any of this stuff actually works.

The hacker in question has full access to the system and can see all the details of the collection campaigns, and all the actual data being sent to Tesla.

It's exactly as described.

There's no secret magic going on (and indeed later remarks from Elon and Karpathy largely confirmed his findings- all "shadow mode" is doing is targeted campaigns to send specific pictures of specific things back to HQ to be manually labeled by humans for later NN training- and only then does an updated, trained, NN, get sent back to ALL the cars as an OTA update- which is the only time car behavior changes.)

Folks who have these crazy fantasies about how their car "learns" from them or is secretly running magic code to see how its decisions compare to what the human does have no idea WTF they're talking about or how any of this stuff actually works.
the nn is people.

• Funny
Reactions: GZDongles
... I do admit that this is way cooler than Smart Summon and certain to be the viral feature ever. I still wouldn't pay for it (I'll take a ride in my friend's car). ...
Yep very cool. I think of it as the most expensive video game ever. Too rich for me. Although I'm excited for everyone who is helping Tesla learn and improve. Hopefully we can get to level 3 within three years.

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold
Does anyone know if this re-write also includes changes to Smart Summon that includes Smart Parking ? I would rather find that feature more useful for myself and will use it if works correctly i.e find a parking spot to park and summon the car. Also do we know if for Summon the distance has increased or still the 200ft default ?
Rumor is Smart Summon is now amazing. Source: SatinGreyTesla on reddit

If what I'm hearing and seeing about this beta is accurate, L3 is definitely on the horizon. L3, like L4 cannot operate everywhere and in every situation so they may never meet everyone's expectations. And L4 is a tall order as it's knocking on the door of L5. But now, after seeing this, I can't rule it out as a possibility at some point. Still, I think people will be very pleased with a reliable L3.

As far as I'm concerned, this beta throws a big monkey wrench into the the whole 'autosteer on city streets' isn't 'automatic driving on city streets' talk.

Overall, very impressive!!!