Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My report said that freeways were part of the ODD but that Waymo recently changed it. Waymo will probably put freeways back into the ODD again.[/QUOTE]

Tanks anti Tesla to publish bad video but If you want my opinion this driver on video is over cautious and bad driver and no need to have fsd for exemple early lanes change is totally right if you saw the drivers stop the lane change and 1 miles later make the same lane change itself great if they let the car make the same 1 mile earlier what's the problem ? They interrupt the car many times for little than nothing I saw last two day nothing as bad like this !

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Tanks anti Tesla to publish bad video but If you want my opinion this driver on video is over cautious and bad driver and no need to have fsd for exemple early lanes change is totally right if you saw the drivers stop the lane change and 1 miles later make the same lane change itself great if they let the car make the same 1 mile earlier what's the problem ? They interrupt the car many times for little than nothing I saw last two day nothing as bad like this !

Tesla themselves said to be extra cautions so in fairness he is just following what they said. Also, in order to have a self driving car you have to not only get there in one piece, you have to make the ride comfortable for the people in the car, eg, they need to feel safe and confident.

Reactions: DDotJ

I see nothing in there close to what FSD beta is doing. A tech demo car doing 14mph, with a pre determined route is hardly the same as what Waymo and Tesla can now do.

Can you cite a specific example from 2010 where cars are essentially doing autonomous driving on any surface road at speed limit speeds and without pre determined route mapping?

I see nothing in there close to what FSD beta is doing. A tech demo car doing 14mph, with a pre determined route is hardly the same as what Waymo and Tesla can now do.

Can you cite a specific example from 2010 where cars are essentially doing autonomous driving on any surface road at speed limit speeds and without pre determined route mapping?

public service announcement:
don’t feed the trolls

The technology stacks are completely different and one has nothing to do with the other. Let‘s look to the future.

The only relevant question is who will be first to ship profitable countrywide lvl4/5 robotaxies without occupant liability.

Tesla is already pushing out 2020.40.8.11 for the fsd beta users. It seems like they're going to develop fsd at hyperspeed.

Once they deploy it wide, I think it's game over. Tesla would be years ahead while everyone else is still trying to deploy automatic lane changing and traffic controls.
Wemo is ahead on that front and really they dhave be have to worry about the long tail to be profitable. Just map the high population centers and call it a day..

Obviously you have to solve vision for any FSD.

‘Anyone relying on lidar is doomed,’ Elon Musk says – TechCrunch

There is some more explanation in this paragraph:

Andrej Karparthy, Senior Director of AI, took the stage and explained that the world is built for visual recognition. Lidar systems, he said, have a hard time deciphering between a plastic bag and a rubber tire. Large scale neural network training and visual recognition are necessary for Level 4 and Level 5 autonomy, he said.

I don't see how high res radar is any different in this case.

Radar is quite different. Lidar is optical, and reflects light of the plastic bag or tires surface, knowing only that the surface is there. Radar reflects a signal based on the electrical dielectric and density of the object. It will not see the plastic bag, as the microwave pulse will not reflect back any significant energy. The tire having a higher electrical dielectric and greater mass will reflect.
If a thin piece of metal was coming your way, radar would give a very strong reflection.

My report said that freeways were part of the ODD but that Waymo recently changed it. Waymo will probably put freeways back into the ODD again.

dude, the guy was very clear about why he was disengaging. He’s been a great driver and has been taking over for the system, AS HE SHOULD, when he doesn’t feel safe or he feels the system is making things harder for other drivers.

he feels the system is making things harder for other drivers.

It doesn't make sense to me when people complain about preferential things like:

Being "too far" from the car in front
Signaling a couple seconds before changing lanes
Or doing anything slightly slower than "I'd do it"

There are plenty of drivers out there doing things differently. Any driving policy will not satisfy more than 80% of people. For some, it'll be too fast, others too slow, too aggressive, too conservative, etc.

Here's an SAE question. Do vehicles need to be able to handle literally every conceivable domain before they can be deemed level 5? The second they can't handle X type of road they're level 4? Or would it be sufficient to say that if the car can travel from any arbitrary point A to any arbitrary point B in any conditions, it's level 5?

I could imagine Tesla determining FSD isn't great at handling certain road conditions, and just routes around them.

A lot of road construction and all emergency stuff is impromptu and they can reconfigure (move cones) at any instant. You can not have FSD with non-driver or robotaxi just route around. Can not assume car can backup out of situation because there will probably be traffic behind you.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Really? Any sources to demonstrate that, ie real world demos of cars doing what Tesla FSD beta is doing from 2010. Would love to see it.
Google's driverless car
In this 2011 Ted talk Sebastian Thrun says at the one minute mark, our cars can drive in any street in California.

Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.
Video from 2011. Skip to the 4 minute mark for more interesting stuff. At 8 minute mark plenty of interesting videos. Doesn't prove, but might find it interesting.

Google's driverless car
In this 2011 Ted talk Sebastian Thrun says at the one minute mark, our cars can drive in any street in California.

Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.
Video from 2011. Skip to the 4 minute mark for more interesting stuff. At 8 minute mark plenty of interesting videos. Doesn't prove, but might find it interesting.
And armed with that information, Serge Brin gleefully announced in 2012 that by 2017 the average person would be able to use driverless/autonomous cars.

2020 is here, and they operate in exactly 50 square miles of desert.

It doesn't make sense to me when people complain about preferential things like:
I hope I didn't come across like I was blaming him.
I just really found it funny (almost like a skit in a show) the car was almost trolling him with the blinker.

Driving preferences are going to be yet another thing that I think will make the Tesla FSD solution shine.

You have a profile tied to your account, and you tweak that profile, in a week or month you are satisfied and the driving profile is your default.
Then you create another profile "driving with family" or "sporty" or "bmw driver" with the appropriate options.

This could be really fun!

Reactions: sdmack
Here's an SAE question. Do vehicles need to be able to handle literally every conceivable domain before they can be deemed level 5?

L5 is defined as having no technical limits to the ODD, meaning that the car cannot have any limits to its ODD due to the FSD technology not being able to handle something.

L5 cars can have limits to their ODD that are not related to the FSD technology. Examples: business or legal reasons that prevent the L5 car from operating in a certain area, weather advisory banning driving because of a severe hurricane, white-out blizzard, flooded roads etc...

The second they can't handle X type of road they're level 4? Or would it be sufficient to say that if the car can travel from any arbitrary point A to any arbitrary point B in any conditions, it's level 5?

If the FSD tech cannot handle a certain type of road, it would be L4.

I could imagine Tesla determining FSD isn't great at handling certain road conditions, and just routes around them.

The Tesla would be L4.

Google's driverless car

lol, Thrun was saying that it became their new goal (to drive anywhere) after winning the DARPA challenge. He wasn't saying it as a current possibility at the time, it was an aspiration, one which all FSD companies hold.