Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a joke. You are allowing the illusion of pieces of parts coming together to cloud your judgment.

What you see in the FSD Beta is rudimentary NN perception networks that Tesla had hooked up to a conventional c++ driving policy. This is what you say is 10 years ahead? Are you being serious?
Off topic, but I use the dark background and your signature can't really be read - in case you care at all lol

2020.40.8.11 below. Better in some ways worse in others, as Elon tweeted. I honestly don’t even know what reaction I should have about this FSD beta anymore. I think in a lot of ways we’ve become numb to the level of achievement this is. We’ve gone from questioning whether or not Tesla will ever achieve FSD to nitpicking about minor aspects of an essentially feature complete FSD software. Overnight.

https://twitter.com/kimpaquette/status/1320083244256268289?s=21

So a safety disengagement every 5~ miles is a minor aspect from a system that was supposed to do cross country drives with no driver in the car from and to anywhere in the US by 2018?

Y61wv8A.png

Last edited:
So a safety disengagement every 5~ miles is a minor aspect from a system that was supposed to do cross country drive with no driver in the car from and to anywhere in the US by 2018?

Y61wv8A.png

You're right, Elon missed his own ludicrously ambitious goals many times.

Am I still allowed to be impressed with what they have built, or no? Please advise.

When I first saw how much the traffic control feature initially failed, I thought it'd take years for it to get widely deployed, since we actually don't have *any* NN-derived feature that we can rely on right now, except for many of Tesla's NN-derived features. Do you know of any NN feature that you use and find to be super reliable? Even autocorrect and dictation are still unreliable after 5+ years.

What are you talking about? There are millions of cars running EyeQ4 neural networks. And lets not even mention Waymo who actually has dozens driverless vans? Do you realize that their perception and prediction system is ~100% NN. Seriously Get out of your tesla bubble and wake up and educate yourself! The ignorance level of Tesla fans is applauding.

Here is what the deployed production NN looked like in Feb 2018
578gwi8zu5y21.png

This is a joke. You are allowing the illusion of pieces of parts coming together to cloud your judgment.

What you see in the FSD Beta is rudimentary NN perception networks that Tesla had hooked up to a conventional c++ driving policy. This is what you say is 10 years ahead? Are you being serious?
Are you sure driving policy isn't also being done by NN? For example I've seen videos of it doing "California" stops (not coming to a complete stop at stop signs) occasionally. That would be odd if it were being done purely with procedural programming.
I'm in full agreement that what they have right now looks about 10 years behind the state of the art in terms of performance.

I think this prediction holds up pretty well.:p
What's wild is that if people are impressed now I shudder to think about the level of hype that is coming. Once FSD can do someone's commute even once they will become convinced that "Level 5 no geofence" is right around the corner. Peak hype is going to be insane.

Some more information on PlaidNet from @verygreen. He says he will do further analysis soon:

The rewrite topic clearly had some interest so I decided to look into PLAIDNET more. It turns out I misremembered and it lived in production cars since 2020.8 to 2020.28. The nets themselves appear to be a replacement for hydranets but being more capable. In particular they could tell if a car object had turn signals or brake lights on, could tell blocked lanes/splits, HOV lanes (and if blocked), ... Also the 3D objects net is separate from plaidnest/hydranets. Also in FSD Beta a bunch of nets were renamed from CITY_STREETS to STATIC it seems.

Overall I am trying to bring in the big guns to do some actual detailed analysis. It'll probably take a while, but I'll link to it once (if) ready.

Perspective is a b***h
Sure is!!
In the 4 years since that tweet:
  • Launched Model 3
  • Launched Model Y
  • Revealed Roadster
  • Revealed Semi
  • Revealed Cybertruck + ATV
  • Launched Solar Roof
  • Launched Solar Glass
  • Literal launch of v1 Roadster into space on Flacon Heavy
  • Landed a crap ton of rockets.
  • Launched and operates the largest fleet of satellites in the world (a la Starlink)
  • Released FSD Beta into the hands of Tesla owners without NDA!
  • Showed Neuralink prototype working on pigs.
  • Dug 3 tunnels (1 in Hawthorne - test, 2 in Vegas actual customer)
  • Had a son (had to add this one)
Some perspective :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The first occurrence of the word "staged" in that thread is by, you might have guessed, @diplomat33 .

Just in case you were for real.

You are taking my quote out of context and deliberating twisting my words to make me say the opposite of what I was actually saying.

If you look back at the thread, I was referring to this video, NOT the autonomy day video.

In fact, if you read that thread, you will see I was very much a "fanboy" of Tesla's FSD, defending it against critics. And I never said the autonomy day demo video as staged.

Waymo and Cruise only remove the safety driver AFTER it has been thoroughly tested that it is safe to do so and only in a geofenced area. They do a lot of testing and validation with professional safety drivers before going driverless. They are not just releasing "beta" software without a driver with no testing.
Does Tesla use professional drivers? I thought they did a lot of testing before releasing FSD code but I cannot remember where I found that.

Sure is!!
  • Launched Model 3
  • Launched Model Y
  • Revealed Roadster
  • Revealed Semi
  • Launched Solar Roof
  • Launched Solar Glass
  • Launched and operates the largest fleet of satellites in the world (a la Starlink)
And missed countless further FSD deadlines, while we continue to await the autonomous cross country drive
And even built up his cheer squad of confirmation biased uncritical thinking fanboys all the while!

• Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr
Sure is!!
  • Launched Model 3
  • Launched Model Y
  • Revealed Roadster
  • Revealed Semi
  • Launched Solar Roof
  • Launched Solar Glass

Except for the bullet point on releasing FSD Beta, everything else you listed has nothing to do with FSD or Elon's promise of a cross country summon. In fact, you are listing achievements that are not even from Tesla. What does SpaceX or Neuralink have to do with Elon's promise of a cross country summon? Does launching a crap ton of rockets make a cross country summon more likely? No.

Except for the bullet point on releasing FSD Beta, everything else you listed has nothing to do with FSD or Elon's promise of a cross country summon. In fact, you are listing achievements that are not even from Tesla. What does SpaceX or Neuralink have to do with Elon's promise of a cross country summon? Does launching a crap ton of rockets make a cross country summon more likely? No.
Did you read what I was replying to? Or you are just being dense for kicks?

• Disagree
Reactions: GZDongles