Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now you are disparaging my integrity and @JJRicks 's integrity? That is a new low. Shame on you!

No, that is not my fallback. I only mentioned it because you specifically quoted my post about JJ's videos. And JJ's videos are the most informative. So I reference them.

I don't rely too much on company mouthpieces and ONE person. What are you even talking about? I look at all data. I look at all videos, not just JJ's. I l watch ML presentations from Anguelov. I also look at the millions of miles of real data that Waymo has provided to the CA DMV over the years and the millions of miles of real data that Waymo has shared in their safety report. But I guess that data does not count because it comes from Waymo? You just don't like the real facts that I present!
Not my intent to impugn your integrity. We've discussed opinions couched as fact, and incessantly posting marketing materials from primarily one sole company that ain't Tesla.

Tell you what: post about Waymo and all the other companies you deem so superior in threads with Waymo as the thread title and I'll not darken your doorstep.

Not my intent to impugn your integrity. We've discussed opinions couched as fact, and incessantly posting marketing materials from primarily one sole company that ain't Tesla.

I don't think I incessantly post marketing materials from Waymo. The only time I really share Waymo info outside of the Waymo thread is in response to someone else making a false claim about Waymo.

And I don't think I state opinions couched as fact. Maybe I slip up but I do try to be good. But I will be more attentive if it bothers you so much.

Tell you what: post about Waymo and all the other companies you deem so superior in threads with Waymo as the thread title and I'll not darken your doorstep.

I already do that. The only time I post Waymo stuff outside of the Waymo thread is in response to someone making a claim about Waymo first.

Last edited:
No, it is not my literal job. When I say "I have to" I mean that I feel a strong compulsion to do it.
1628213941471.png

I really hope some of the FSD rewrite trickles down to AP / NoA . But is there any of that code active on highway?
Because production versions can't handle cut-ins, and they can't even stay in the lane when it widens due to on-ramp merger .
Then it will swerve into the middle. No logic implemented there whatsoever. It's a very simple thing to fix:
C++:
const double MagicFactor = 1.5;
const double OnRampMaxLengthMeters = 250.0;

// If lane is significantly wider than previous AND it's shorter than a standard on ramp merger
// Then stick to the closest marker with the same distance as before, that doesn't widen

if (laneWidth > previousStandardWidth * MagicFactor && distanceTraveled < OnRampMaxLengthMeters) {
    StickToNearestLaneMarkerAsBefore();
}
else
{
    CenterLaneAsUsual(); // Normal lane centering
}

It would make current driving experience so much better. It KNOWS that it gets wider from previously narrower, it shows in the visualization. And it should know that a lane is abnormally wide.

Last edited:
But is there any of that code active on highway?
Because production versions can't handle cut-ins, and they can't even stay in the lane when it widens due to on-ramp merger .
Again, I think this is a EU versus US release differences.

Not only has cut in detection worked for me for many months, but now I have experienced where the car properly/gracefully slows down for merging traffic of highway on ramps.

Then someone needs to tell my car that. EAP always fails at highway merging and disengages for me.

Weird- I'm in the same area as you and it generally works fine for me... (2018 Model 3, with HW3 having gotten the free upgrade via owning FSD)...

One drive I do reasonable often for example is Raleigh to Chapel Hill where I start out on 540 and the car merges onto 40 itself just fine.

Likewise the 40->147 merge it seems to handle fine... The 147->85 merge.... the merge where 40 and 85 come together going west... all handled by car without issue.

I really hope some of the FSD rewrite trickles down to AP / NoA . But is there any of that code active on highway?

Nope.

City streets is an entirely separate bunch of code currently... highways still use the traditional code everyone has in production.

Elon has claimed " Beta 10 hopefully (Beta 11 definitely) will use one stack to rule them all – city streets, highway & complex parking lots."

Because production versions can't handle cut-ins

You mean people merging into your lane in front of you? I drive with follow distance 1 so I don't see these much.... but when it's bad weather I bump it back to 3 and it seems to handle those fine.

, and they can't even stay in the lane when it widens due to on-ramp merger .

This seems an issue of some areas don't use dotted white lines to separate the lanes like they're supposed to. Again hasn't been an issue here because the lanes are marked properly.

I agree it needs to be fixed because expecting everywhere to use proper road marks isn't realistic.

I can't see why that would be disabled for EU. There's nothing in UNECE that would forbid this.
That's pretty simple.

I can use EMV Chip payment processing as an example.
If you change the firmware on the device that accepts EMV Cards (chipped/NFC) - in the US - you have to recertify the firmware before you deploy it.

I would imagine that they have a certain Autopilot firmware branch that is certified for the EU rules and they will make safety critical adjustments to it, but for new features or major changes, they will not bother going through whatever EU certification until they have validated the features in a less strict market.

We've plenty of evidence of features rolling out to the EU market much later than the US market, same would apply to new features and major changes.

This seems an issue of some areas don't use dotted white lines to separate the lanes like they're supposed to. Again hasn't been an issue here because the lanes are marked properly.
Actually that is another improvement that I've seen on my cross country trip. Different states have different approaches of marking on/off ramp lanes and Autopilot/NoA did a very good job staying in its own lane when the on/off ramps widened the lane without a lane line separation.