Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Ripoff or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many folks actual buy FSD @ 15k? I've had 3 cars an MS with enhanced and currently MY with FSD and boy do I feel like a sucker paying 10k for it! This BS has been going on for many years and how do they feel that ists now worth 15K? I recently drove an ICE vehicle which had lane guidance and adaptive cruise and I feel it did just as good a job if not better than FSD. I know it doesn't recognize signals and other things but Jezz it was standard with the car!!! Had a friend pick up his car last week and he asked SA how many people are buying FSD and he answered about 1% :(

How many folks actual buy FSD @ 15k? I've had 3 cars an MS with enhanced and currently MY with FSD and boy do I feel like a sucker paying 10k for it! This BS has been going on for many years and how do they feel that ists now worth 15K? I recently drove an ICE vehicle which had lane guidance and adaptive cruise and I feel it did just as good a job if not better than FSD. I know it doesn't recognize signals and other things but Jezz it was standard with the car!!! Had a friend pick up his car last week and he asked SA how many people are buying FSD and he answered about 1% :(
There are dozens of other threads, and polls, with the same question. No need to start yet another one.

how many people are buying FSD and he answered about 1%

I'd be really surprised if it's anywhere near 1%. May be at some time in the past and at a lower price. I suppose may be still 1% is possible in some locations, but not across all markets and cars.

IF Tesla could be trusted to make good on an unambiguous and binding obligation to bring previous and present purchasers up to a future stable and capable FSD system then it might have some value. However I already feel such an undertaking exists but am not at all confident in it being honored. Really hope I'm wrong and for future FSD sales Tesla absolutely needs to clear up its current obligations and clarify how existing undertakings will be delivered.

Last edited:
There are dozens of other threads, and polls, with the same question. No need to start yet another one.

Really? When I saw this thread title and the opening post, I thought to myself "wow, what a novel discussion, I am surprised that no one has discussed this on TMC before." /s

Lane guidance and adaptive cruise are standard in a Tesla. No need to spend $15K if that's all you want. And, if you want auto lane changes, you can buy EAP for $6K.

I suspect that more than 1% are subscribing to FSD vs buying.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I paid for FSD in both our cars when it was a lot cheaper than today, but the next time I would pay for EAP and subscribe to FSD, assuming the subscription price doesn't increase too much. Note that the FSD subscription price has never increased, even though the price for buying FSD has increased twice since the subscription was introduced.

The only reason I would subscribe to FSD at this point would be to access the Beta, since EAP includes all the driving features I need.

At a risk of keeping this thread going. I think it depends.

I was reading a thread the other day about someone buying a 60k pair of headphones, and loving it. They justified the cost by comparing it to luxury watches. What I'm trying to say is 'worth it' drastically depends on the values and spare income of the purchaser, with luxury items rutinely being inflated long past their practical value. If you buy FSD wanting "Full" Self Driving, that is you tell the car to go somewhere, sit back with a coffee and browse the latest news on social media while you wait for your car to drive you to your destination.

Lol. Total Rifoff. Is the value of FSD 15k usd. F. no. Am I happy I paid for FSD in full on my two Teslas? Yes, it's fun to see FSDb develop over the months and change. It feels like I'm subscribing to a high end Patreon. The only thing that gives me pause, and it does give me quite a bit of pause, is the way that radar and USS has been handled... If Elon really does announce HD Radar in a few months and doesn't provide a way for current FSD owners to upgrade their cars with the new sensors, after all the very sus things he claimed about Vision only which still haven't been delivered... Well it may be enough to push me into the ripoff camp.

But for now, I'm happy with FSDb even if only marginaly, it performed better than I expected. I wish he would now update his other features, like self park, auto wipers, auto high beams and so forth. Those things are embarrasingly bad.

How is it that you've been an active TMC member since 2017 with almost a thousand posts, and you never bothered to maybe read any of the threads here before forking over 10k? Like, if you just randomly pick any thread on page 1, you would have likely gotten all the info you needed to make a call.

I'm definitely not disputing the value, or lack thereof, of FSD @ 10k, but it sure seems like you could have easily avoided feeling like a sucker had you done even some basic due diligence.

Lane guidance and adaptive cruise are standard in a Tesla. No need to spend $15K if that's all you want. And, if you want auto lane changes, you can buy EAP for $6K.

I suspect that more than 1% are subscribing to FSD vs buying.

I just bought my first Tesla. Have been interested in them for a long time, especially the autonomous features. I’m a software engineer and really enjoy trying new tech, even if it’s still in development and doesn’t work that well.

I couldn’t justify $15k for FSD, but I did purchase EAP for $6k and signed up for FSD subscription for an additional $99 per month. This way I can try it for a while and have fun with it, and then either cancel and wait for it to get better if I’m over it or stay subbed if I enjoy it. At the current subscription price of $99, I could subscribe for 8 years and still pay less than the $9000+tax of buying it up front (breakeven might be more like 10-12 years if you factor in returns from keeping [$9000 - ($99 * sub months)] invested). I suppose there’s a risk that I love the beta and don’t want to give it up and either keep the car for longer than 8 years or get screwed by the price of the subscription going up significantly, but I couldn’t justify $9000+tax for stopping at stop lights and the ability to try a not very reliable beta FSD.

Kind of wish I had bought a Tesla earlier when FSD was much cheaper.

Last edited:
Unless I became very wealthy I wouldn’t do it. I’d try a subscription just to try it out, but I wouldn’t go all out and spend $15K. I love to drive and being engaged with the vehicle (I miss the days of driving my old manual BMW), and I’m good with the included AP for those times I just want to chillax and cruise.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
I paid $2,000 for FSD. It was worth it in the sense that I consult in the field and it's worth keeping up with what Tesla is doing. It's not worth it in that it's not pleasant to drive with it, my GF won't let me turn it on when she's in the car, and I usually turn navigate on autopilot off if it gets on -- I don't find picking my lane in Autopilot with turn signals to be much of a burden.

So obviously not worth it at $15K. However, now that Tesla stock is back down again, if you are keen, buy $15K of Tesla stock. If they actually produce a working FSD system any time in the next few years, your stock returns should pay for the later higher price of FSD, and then some. If they don't produce it, you won't lose the full $15K. Subscribe to it for a few months if you are just curious about how it works. You can do that twice a year after major releases and you'll pay less than the $2K I paid for it.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
I paid $2,000 for FSD.

In order to pay that "$2,000" for FSD, you would have had to have bought enhanced autopilot, for $5,000. Your actual cost to get FSD was $5,000 + $2,000 ($7,000). I find it very misleading when people say "I paid 2k for FSD" because it doesnt talk about what they had to buy as a pre requisite.

I paid the same thing you apparently did, which was 5k for EAP and then 2k for FSD during a 3-4 week firesale in Late march / Early april of 2019, but I dont tell people I paid 2k for FSD. I tell them I paid 7k for it, and the normal price back then was 8k (5k for EAP and 3k for FSD).

That is, unless you paid 2k for FSD with no purchase of EAP back then?

FSD is an all but certain money maker at $15k given the endless opportunities for a 24/7 robotaxi money making business. It will change the human transportation world and the price for FSD will keep going up. Sit on sofa while making money hand over fist. At least that what I heard. :)
When do you really think robotaxi will come about? Tesla said at the end 2018 and again 2019. The question you will have to ask yourself will my car be around and will Tesla update the hardware for robotaxi???

Reactions: bnsfengineer
How is it that you've been an active TMC member since 2017 with almost a thousand posts, and you never bothered to maybe read any of the threads here before forking over 10k? Like, if you just randomly pick any thread on page 1, you would have likely gotten all the info you needed to make a call.

I'm definitely not disputing the value, or lack thereof, of FSD @ 10k, but it sure seems like you could have easily avoided feeling like a sucker had you done even some basic due diligence.
Apologize but I had a gullible weak moment when I pushed the button to add FSD and yes I've read the other posts but was hoping with the price increasing thought maybe, just maybe some type of "MAJOR" update was on the horizon... nope made a fool out of myself:mad:
Also to be honest at that time sped up delivery...

EAP was available when I bought my 3 and upgraded to FSD for the additional $2k ($7k total). For me, it was a bargain to upgrade to v3 hardware even if FSD wasn't available before it was time to replace the car. I've had FSDb since June. While I don't trust it especially in heavy traffic, it is getting better but I find it very inconsistent and IMO has a long way to go.

We bought EAP for my wife's 3 during the fire sale for $4k. I'm not willing to fork out $9k more to upgrade it to FSD at this time. If there is another price increase, I don't know if I could ever justify the cost. Since the monthly subscription is $99, I will probably do the same as we do for Premium Connectivity.... Get it for just the month when we have a trip or other situation where it could be worth it.

I'm not the type to allow others to drive my vehicles unless it is necessary (service), so I have no plan to rent the car. FSD investment for us is to reduce driving stress and eventually trust it to drive my wife when she is having a bad MS day.